Rank these (now) 5 highly praised modern 2D games...

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
DrLitch

Re: Rank these (now) 5 highly praised modern 2D games...

Postby DrLitch » May 18th, 2020, 7:33 pm

velcrozombie wrote:The dragon boss was almost the breaking point for me -.....

I will say that playing the early Metal Slug titles has tempered my praise for Cuphead .....

Ditto, after the 100th or so attempt the controller was launched across room and game uninstalled. One of those games where a grown man regresses back to childhood and breaks controllers in frustration. On your suggestion I have put Cuphead back on the bucket list of titles to play.

Metal Slug always gets a lot of praise. Neo Geo was too much coin for me back in the day. On my bucket list of games to play.

Voor

Postby Voor » December 15th, 2020, 9:26 pm

Bumping as it seems like someone was asking about a few of these titles the other day.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » December 16th, 2020, 1:15 pm

I will use this thread to add a few more titles for those that are interested in these Metroidvania type platformers:

Environmental Station Alpha
- Metroid Fusion with Commodore 64 graphics and 16-bit sound. 8.5/10

Blasphemous
- Metroidvania type title but horribly priced for Switch hard copy (had to pay $80). 7/10

Touhou Luna Nights
- Excellent Metroidvania type title. 9/10

Supraland
- Puzzle based Metroidvania with Portal 2 elements. This one will find it's way on top 100 all time lists. 9.5/10

Record of Lodoss War-Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth
- One of the best games I have played. Similar to a Koji Igarashi's work on Playstation and GBA - 9.5/10

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » December 16th, 2020, 9:39 pm

DrLitch wrote:I will use this thread to add a few more titles for those that are interested in these Metroidvania type platformers:

Thanks for the recommendations. I like Blasphemous a lot, although I'm still not finished with it (took a break after a rough boss fight and haven't gone back but I'm past the 80 percent mark). Supraland is new to me but that's an enticing description. I'm surprised at the level of praise for the Record of Lodoss War game - the comments I heard for it were along the lines of it being a well-done tribute game, almost a asset swap of the Iga games. BTW, the image links don't seem to work for me on the page, but I can right-click and find them at the source page.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » December 17th, 2020, 10:16 pm

velcrozombie wrote:I like Blasphemous a lot, although I'm still not finished with it (took a break after a rough boss fight and haven't gone back but I'm past the 80 percent mark).

Pretty much at the same point as you - around 80% in and the game has yielded a boss challenge too far for me. I might come back to it one day. Really good game but it is brutal.

velcrozombie wrote:Supraland is new to me but that's an enticing description.

It is just one of those sorts of games that I suspect will start appearing on top 100 lists. It will only take one to give it street cred and the rest will follow. The game has world class design but it can get a little juvenile for me in places.

velcrozombie wrote:I'm surprised at the level of praise for the Record of Lodoss War game - the comments I heard for it were along the lines of it being a well-done tribute game, almost a asset swap of the Iga games

It is very similar to Iga's titles on the GBA and Playstation I am playing it right now obsessively. Like most things when the dust settles I will realize it is just a clone, a very good clone, of older titles. Right now memories are flooding in of games like Aria of Sorrow and Symphony of the Night. Bloodstained Ritual of the Night, while a good game, did not quite stir the feelings up as much - probably due to the graphical style.

Voor

Postby Voor » January 5th, 2021, 7:27 pm

Picked up Axiom Verge for $7 today. Only played 15 minutes thus far, but really like it so far.

Voor

Postby Voor » January 18th, 2021, 1:41 pm

About 5 hours in. I get the praise—it’s maybe not as polished as super Metroid, but it plays very well and has that metroid sense of progression, as well as “where do I go now?” moments. I wouldn’t say that it’s a game I’m craving to play as soon I get a chance but I definitely want to see how it plays out.

I’m not a huge fan of the graphics and music, but it has a unique style, which I really respect. I’ll add that I’m playing with joycons, and don’t have any of the problems the critic seemed to.

So far....
Celeste, B+
Axiom Verge, A-

Next up, Shovel and Hollow Knight.

Return to “Modern Gaming”