Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
CaptainCruch

Can someone explain Xbox name series?

Postby CaptainCruch » April 13th, 2020, 10:28 am

Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox One / Xbox One S / Xbox One X
Xbox Series X

I really don't understand the names Microsoft gives to the new Xbox consoles. (The VGC already put 'Xbox One' in the number 1 spot on the "Top 10 Worst Consoles Names of All Time", but I think Xbox Series X easily surpasses it).
So, can someone explain the names to me?

Microsoft is stubborn, since they actually made the very same mistake with the naming of the mobile operating Windows Phone 7 in 2010 (the successor to Windows Mobile 6.5 (!)). It was first officially called 'Windows Phone 7 Series', but that confused everybody, so they decided to drop 'Series' and just call it 'Windows Phone 7'.

ActRaiser

Re: Can someone explain Xbox name series?

Postby ActRaiser » April 13th, 2020, 12:50 pm

C'mon. It's not that hard. It's to reference the new name of a new console released every year. After X, it will be Y, then Z, then 0X, 0Y, 0Z, then 3A, 3B, 3C. I kid, I kid.

It's what all the cool, hip companies like Apple and Samsung are doing. Microsoft wants to get in on the fun.

For giggles look up model names of the iPhone by year.

iPhone: June 29, 2007
    iPhone 3G: July 11, 2008
    iPhone 3GS: June 19, 2009
    iPhone 4: June 24, 2010
    iPhone 4S: October 14, 2011
    iPhone 5: September 21, 2012
    iPhone 5S & 5C: September 20, 2013
    iPhone 6 & 6 Plus: September 19, 2014
    iPhone 6S & 6S Plus: September 19, 2015
    iPhone SE: March 31, 2016
    iPhone 7 & 7 Plus: September 16, 2016
    iPhone 8 & 8 Plus: September 22, 2017
    iPhone X: November 3, 2017
    iPhone XS, XS Max: September 21, 2018
    iPhone XR: October 26, 2018
    iPhone 11, Pro, Pro Max: September 20, 2019

I love iPhone 9 is really called X. It's equally nonsensical.

In my humble opinion no one is going to be buying a new Xbox every year. As a result, coming out with goofy letter designations is plain annoying.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » April 13th, 2020, 4:01 pm

I think they just dug themselves too deep into a hole that they're struggling to get out of. Probably due to some of that good old fashioned Microsoft stubbornness you mentioned!

I've got a pretty basic understanding of advertising and consumer psychology, and I'd hazard a guess that the 2nd Xbox was very intentionally not named the Xbox 2. Because the numbering system would make it seem inferior to it's competition - the Playstation 3.

I mean, if you were an average consumer or a clueless parent, would you buy an Xbox 2 or a Playstation 3? It sounds a generation behind. Especially when you consider MS released their console first. They couldn't or decided not to name it the Xbox 3 to keep up - although ironically we'd all be over that by now if they'd done it back then instead of messing up the numbering system a few years ago. So what better way to use a 3, than to name it the 360. PS3. Xbox 3... sixty. Plus it just sounds cool.

Where they really messed things up is with the Xbox One. I remember everyone expecting it to be named, logically, the Xbox 720. But I guess they didn't like the look of committing themselves to a future where we eventually get the Xbox 1080 and the Xbox 1440. We're entering Atari numbering territory here - which also seems outdated or, worse, obsolete. Not ideal for a new console.

One sounds important. Things only tend to get numbered 'one' retroactively, like movies and games. If you name it One intentionally, it sounds top of the fleet, like AirForce One. On the flip side, I'd also say it's quite stupid when video game consoles are things that do get given the number 1 retroactively, i.e. the PS1, when they're outdated.

I doubt they were expecting the backlash they got... or they were just prepared for it and hoped people would just get over it. But they probably missed a prime chance to do a marketing campaign where they announce it as the Xbox 460... then make a big deal about scrapping the 60 and go with Xbox4. Still gonna get the same complaints about your numbering system, but it makes a bit more sense and you can spin it to be about 'dropping the 60' instead of skipping to 4. Then you're set to move forward instead of getting tangled in the 'mess' they're in now.

Naming it One has made things difficult now though. Xbox 4 will still sound outdated. Jumping from One to 5 also sounds stupid. Going back to 720 would also be a step back. Can't use Two for the same reasons they probably avoided using it a decade and a half ago. ActRaiser probably hit the nail on the head with the iPhone parallels. Its just a new way to make it sound important and new and get away from those pesky numbers!

I'm hoping they're just waiting for enough time to pass so everyone loses count, and then will just go with the Xbox 6 to catch up with the PS6 by the time it comes about.

Just a theory. :D

Steve

Postby Steve » April 14th, 2020, 5:29 pm

I personally feel this is one of the worst naming conventions out there, and this is as an Xbox supporter. Xbox as a name was pretty cool and Xbox 360 wasn't too bad but from there it was all downhill. Xbox One was maybe tolerable at best but Xbox One Series X is a terrible inexcusable name despite the explanations provided. Their only saving grace will be if they stop selling Xbox One systems once the Series X comes out but that likely won't happen. I foresee a lot of people not getting the system they are looking for if just looking for an 'Xbox'

Having said that, I don't think it is just Xbox that has a problem with naming. PlayStation is just plain boring. Much like Microsoft with Xbox, I think Sony has likewise backed themselves into a similar but different type of corner and probably aren't going to be comfortable changing naming conventions anytime soon. The scary part is that they probably have meetings discussing the name of the next product.

Nintendo is no better except for a different reason. While they deserve credit for being different with their names, and in some cases fairly decent, some of the system names are outright stupid. No one will ever convince me that Wii was a good idea. I've seen people refer to certain versions of Xbox as Xbox SEX or Xbox SAD (all digital edition) but did Nintendo not look at what people would say about 'Wii'? Also, Wii U? Not a good name.

To make matters worse are some of the games that are coming out now. I won't launch into anything about putting Super or Mega or something similar in front of a game but my real pet peeve is with franchises like Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Call of Duty and Battlefield. Battlefield went from 4 to 1 to 5 ('V') as part of the main series. Call of Duty is even worse, especially with the 'warfare' themed games. I can understand the naming of the first one being Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and then their sequels Modern Warfare 2 and 3 but was the deal behind just releasing one called Modern Warfare? If it is name recognition, then why not continue with Modern Warfare 4? Was it because the original Modern Warfare was technically Call of Duty 4? Maybe but another example of a company backing themselves into a corner. I guess the bottom line is that I'm surprised people that are responsible for naming these consoles and games don't think ahead of time and that seems to be a major issue.

Now I have headache

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 14th, 2020, 8:38 pm

All this talk about Xbox Series X is giving my flashbacks of Wii U, which was a great system saddled with a truly awful name. A lot of people didn't even realize it was a whole new system.

I can sort of see that happening to Microsoft this time. The name is too confusing. They never learn.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » April 15th, 2020, 7:07 am

Steve wrote:Having said that, I don't think it is just Xbox that has a problem with naming. PlayStation is just plain boring. Much like Microsoft with Xbox, I think Sony has likewise backed themselves into a similar but different type of corner and probably aren't going to be comfortable changing naming conventions anytime soon. The scary part is that they probably have meetings discussing the name of the next product.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I do not doubt for a second that that's exactly what happens. :lol:

VideoGameCritic wrote:All this talk about Xbox Series X is giving my flashbacks of Wii U, which was a great system saddled with a truly awful name. A lot of people didn't even realize it was a whole new system.

I forgot about the Wii U - I know I was confused. I didn't know for a long time if it was a peripheral in the vein of the Sega CD/32X or a completely brand new console.

I think an important aspect is what people see as the brand name - if that makes sense. Playstation and Xbox are brands owned by a company. Whereas Nintendo is both the brand and the company. So that makes it easier for them to name each of their consoles individually. The same can be said of the defunct console producers like SEGA, Atari etc.

So Nintendo can get away with this naming system:
Brand Name -> Console Name
(Nintendo) -> (Switch)

Sony/MS have to add an extra name:
Company Name -> Brand Name -> Console Name
(Sony) -> (Playstation) -> (5)

Not going with a number or a letter for the console name for Sony/MS makes the whole thing a mouthful, and would also possibly lessen the impact of the brand name.

Ironically, again, Microsoft have actually ended up doing this with their new console by using a word and a letter, but they've chosen a redundant word which isn't a name. Instead it makes the console name sound like a special model/edition of something by calling it Series X. So you end up with a mouthful that doesn't impact the brand name, but is still confusing nonetheless, as that's the sort of things phones tends to do, not consoles.

With the Wii U, Nintendo actually tried out the latter of the 2 naming systems. Maybe they were hoping the make Wii a brand name, thinking it would become as influential as the Nintendo name did back in the 80s when non-gamers referred to all games consoles as Nintendos - regardless of who made them. Like how tissues are referred to as Kleenex in America and all vacuum cleaners are referred to as Hoovers in the UK, despite them being brands and not the actual thing.

The Wii name was huge in attracting non-gamers. Wii Sports and Wii Fit especially. I briefly worked in a residential home for the elderly as an Events/Entertainment coordinator and we spoke about getting a Wii for the residents! Anyone could play it!

I think Nintendo wanted to carry that over, but chose a terrible and confusing suffix for the 2nd Wii. They possibly also overestimated the value of the Wii brand and undervalued their own name of Nintendo.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 15th, 2020, 7:25 am

The first was named based off of the project name, DirectX Box.

The second was named Xbox 360 to avoid sounding weak next to the upcoming Playstation 3 (Xbox 2, Playstation 3...)

Then there was Xbox One, which was trying to be the ONE device you needed, but only gave us the XBONE...

Then there was Xbox One X, which was... a variable to show power? No sense make...

If any of the post Xbox One models (Xbox One S, XBONEX, Xbox Series X) are legitimate new systems, then Microsoft will easily run into the Wii U issue of the general consumer thinking it is a pricey add-on for their existing system.

evergreen13

Postby evergreen13 » April 15th, 2020, 8:45 am

Let's not forget Microsoft's naming of Windows!

1, 2, 3, 3.1, 95, NT, 98, 2000, ME, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10

It honestly just seems like they don't have an overall vision, at least for marketing purposes.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » April 15th, 2020, 12:45 pm

All this talk about bad or confusing naming conventions, coupled with the Wii U, made me think of how voluminous Nintendo has gotten with their DS line of hand held systems:
Nintendo DS
Nintendo DS Lite
Nintendo DSi
Nintendo DSi XL
Nintendo 2DS
Nintendo 2DS XL
Nintendo 3DS
Nintendo 3DS XL
At least with "XL" it's pretty easy to understand that "Oh, that's just a slightly larger version of the same thing", but between DS, DS Lite, or DSi it's kinda hard without a little research to figure out what is what.

Voor

Postby Voor » April 15th, 2020, 7:34 pm

I’ve heard it called the Xbox SEX, or even worse, the SEXBOX.

Lol.

Return to “Modern Gaming”