The next Nintendo console

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Alucard1191

Re: The next Nintendo console

Postby Alucard1191 » June 29th, 2020, 9:30 pm

Voor wrote:Another question: is Nintendo “stuck” having to produce new games for their franchises or will they ever let them just go? For example, with with their next system, will they make another Smash Bros, or will they say “you know, Ultimate was a fantastic conclusion to the series and it’s a good place to end it”. Same with Mario Kart, etc.

I actually agree with this. Some of these franchises need to be retired. And some that haven't been visited in a long time should maybe get some attention. Or just go in a completely new direction with some creative ideas. Nintendo is often really innovative, let the dev teams go nuts.

Nevermind

Postby Nevermind » June 30th, 2020, 7:07 am

I think Nintendo’s next offering will focus on excellent family fun titles utilising a novel control/input device. The family and pre teen market has served them well. It would be crazy to lose the likes of Mario Kart - an excellent game played by 5 year olds and adults in our household.

I think something new to generate the buzz of Wii sports would be enough to justify production. I’d like to see a light gun type device for the modern TV (digital camera as the sensor) and a Mario Kart esque world of baddies to shoot. Not too scary for the kids. Perhaps the ‘gun’ could be less gun like and more of a sci fi laser firing super glove.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » June 30th, 2020, 7:41 am

Personally, I have been extremely happy with my Switch Lite, and find that many that I talk to are having a blast with it.

There are "hardcore" gamers that swear that it is only good to play Nintendo games (which they buy Switches for to play Pokemon, Mario Kart, etc.), and even when the "hardcore" gamers I speak to (who spend hours on PS4 online playing whatever the flavor of the week is, I don't follow PS4) talk down the Switch, they still get exited when games like Link's Awakening come out and rush to preorder the game.

The Switch is something of a hybrid of Nintendo's handheld and console design heritage, and I for one am happy with it. There is more than enough power to keep going for several more years, as other than pushing graphics envelopes (which cost money for developers to use correctly, thus hurting the margins), many games coming out these days use very basic engines (Shovel Knight, Axiom Verge 2, visual novels, Sonic Mania, could go on). Memory of the carts is an issue, one that last I heard Nintendo was developing a larger cart size and working on compression software. Most of the games releasing right now are digital releases (TONS of PS2/PS3 era games finding their way to the Switch of late), though there are many projects still in the works (Ys IX is coming in 2021!!!).

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 30th, 2020, 11:30 am

It's interesting, while Sony and Microsoft keep pushing the "more is better" approach (better resolution, more memory, bigger disc), Nintendo usually opts to INNOVATE instead.

Since the GameCube:
Wii (2006) - introduced motion controls
Wii U (2012) - introduced concept of second screen
Switch (2017) - first console you could play in both handheld and TV screen mode

So, where does Nintendo go from here? I'm sure they have something up their sleeves...

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » June 30th, 2020, 11:39 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:It's interesting, while Sony and Microsoft keep pushing the "more is better" approach (better resolution, more memory, bigger disc), Nintendo usually opts to INNOVATE instead.

Since the GameCube:
Wii (2006) - introduced motion controls
Wii U (2012) - introduced concept of second screen
Switch (2017) - first console you could play in both handheld and TV screen mode

So, where does Nintendo go from here? I'm sure they have something up their sleeves...

I concur.

In addition, despite the failure of the Vita and the dominance of the mobile (smartphone) gaming market, the Switch is still setting sales records for both consoles and games (Animal Crossing and Pokemon are still strong sellers, to say nothing of other Nintendo IPs), and the 3DS is still strong (though on its way out).

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » June 30th, 2020, 11:54 am

Alucard1191 wrote:I actually agree with this. Some of these franchises need to be retired. And some that haven't been visited in a long time should maybe get some attention. Or just go in a completely new direction with some creative ideas. Nintendo is often really innovative, let the dev teams go nuts.

But they have gone in completely new directions. Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild are just completely new games that throw in fan service to guarantee sales.

Remove that fan service, and these could easily be new franchises.

But look what happened when Sega took that route - Nights, anyone? Despite some painfully bad games, Sonic's still riding high. And people got way more excited for a reto styled Streets of Rage sequel than they ever did for Comic Zone and Die Hard Arcade.

Even Yakuza took years and many sequels to build up an audience.

Right now, Nintendo's franchises are media events and insure brand loyalty - it's not like they expect Metroid to set sales records.

But it will win them respect, and help their overall prestige, so that their company continues to be granted free advertising by fans, critics, and the hardcore. And every wild financial success goes to funding their wilder, unproven ideas.

noah98

Postby noah98 » June 30th, 2020, 6:34 pm

I hope they continue with the hybrid model but improve upon the current hardware. It's nice to come up with new innovations, but sometimes a really solid evolution is great as well. I'm not necessarily saying trying to compete with the power of the other systems. Give us better joycons with a nice dpad and a solid feeling when attached to the main unit. Also, up the handheld resolution to 1080p. Make the dock much cheaper so we can have them all over the house and don't make it enclosed to avoid scratching the screen, heating up the unit, etc.

While we are at it, how about different joycons with other control schemes like a paddle.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » July 1st, 2020, 5:33 am

DrLitch wrote:Controversial Opinion:

I think the time is nigh for Nintendo to ditch their hardware business...

Voor wrote:Another question: is Nintendo “stuck” having to produce new games for their franchises or will they ever let them just go?

Alucard1191 wrote: I actually agree with this. Some of these franchises need to be retired.

I’d never actually considered any of these before.

I've never been a 'Nintendo guy' but if I was ever to rejoin the modern gaming world I probably would go with Nintendo.

Since the Wii they've tread the line between gimmicky and innovative pretty well, but how many more generations can they really keep this up? I don't think it would take much to accidentally enter gimmick territory if they have to keep innovating. But then on the flip side are people gonna be happy if they stop innovating? The original Wii already seems so outdated - I couldn’t imagine them being on the Wii 3 right now with basically the same concept and updated graphics. Sony and MS just need to pump out better consoles with improved graphics, social, etc, but would consumers be willing for Nintendo doing the same for the Switch long term?

At some point the other shoe has gotta drop, right?

Same for their key franchises. How long can they really keep pumping out the same franchises and IPs. People expect to see Mario, Smash, Kart, Zelda, etc, they’re part of the selling point for the consoles and Nintendo culture. They’re gonna need to add a completely brand new original IP to their stable at some point, surely.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 1st, 2020, 5:38 am

And they have been - Splatoon and Arms are two examples

Tron

Postby Tron » July 10th, 2020, 5:03 pm

I’d like to introduce to you at this time the Switch U........

Return to “Modern Gaming”