Wave Race on the Switch?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
newmodelarmy

Re: Wave Race on the Switch?

Postby newmodelarmy » September 6th, 2020, 8:10 am

I would love to see a new Mario's strikers game although I hope they don't too many gimmicks in it like they did with the Switch Mario tennis game. Nintendo seems pretty happy about remakes and slight upgrades on their existing franchises. While I think it is cool they are celebrating Mario's 35th birthday I was hoping to get some new games this fall/winter. I honestly have not played my switch at all this year. That being said, my daughter is currently consumed by Animal Crossing so at least there is that.

evergreen13

Postby evergreen13 » December 4th, 2020, 11:18 am

I recently picked up Riptide GP: Renegade on the Switch. I personally grabbed it with my eShop gold coins so it was essentially free for me. It's download only, and apparently mobile game series that has been reworked for consoles.

That said, it's surprisingly decent. Sure, Wave Race 64 is probably a better game, but this one isn't that bad. The controls are great, the wave physics are better than you'd expect for such a low budget, and there seems to be a good amount of content. It does have a futuristic aesthetic, so it's kind of like a mix between Jet Moto and Waverace. There's a basic trick system as well which gives you turbo/boost (why does every arcade style racer these days need to have some boost mechanic?) Sure, there are probably better racers out there, but honestly if you like this style of racing game it is probably worth checking out, especially if you wait for a sale as it often goes for less than $5.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/r ... de-switch/

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » December 4th, 2020, 1:26 pm

evergreen13 wrote:I recently picked up Riptide GP: Renegade on the Switch. I personally grabbed it with my eShop gold coins so it was essentially free for me. It's download only, and apparently mobile game series that has been reworked for consoles.

That said, it's surprisingly decent. Sure, Wave Race 64 is probably a better game, but this one isn't that bad. The controls are great, the wave physics are better than you'd expect for such a low budget, and there seems to be a good amount of content. It does have a futuristic aesthetic, so it's kind of like a mix between Jet Moto and Waverace. There's a basic trick system as well which gives you turbo/boost (why does every arcade style racer these days need to have some boost mechanic?) Sure, there are probably better racers out there, but honestly if you like this style of racing game it is probably worth checking out, especially if you wait for a sale as it often goes for less than $5.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/r ... de-switch/

Mentioned it before in the Hydro Thunder thread, and still would recommend. While crashing through the futuristic scenery, it's some of the best in over the top 90's arcade style level design...but only if you can deal with the RPG elements.

It feels like the difficulty was redesigned for consoles - it's far from pay to win - but if you're opposed to any grinding for performance boosts at all, you're probably not going to get along with this game.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » December 6th, 2020, 8:30 pm

I agree. And what about Metroid? C'mon now!

JohanOberg

Postby JohanOberg » October 8th, 2021, 7:36 am

WaveRace 64 is my favorite N64 game so absolutely.

But I don't judge companies too harshly for not keeping up with every franchise they have, especially when some have so many like Nintendo and Sega. It's just not feasible to do them all and do it regularily. That said of course I agree that some series are oversatured, such as Mario and Sonic.

Where's my sequel to Urban Champion?!?! I've been waiting for 30+ years!! (sarcasm/joke)

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » October 8th, 2021, 7:48 am

JohanOberg wrote:WaveRace 64 is my favorite N64 game so absolutely.

But I don't judge companies too harshly for not keeping up with every franchise they have, especially when some have so many like Nintendo and Sega. It's just not feasible to do them all and do it regularily. That said of course I agree that some series are oversatured, such as Mario and Sonic.

Where's my sequel to Urban Champion?!?! I've been waiting for 30+ years!! (sarcasm/joke)

LOL!

Would be nice to see a WaveRace on the Switch, even if a legacy release (such as the upcoming N64 Online channel)

Return to “Modern Gaming”