Wave Race on the Switch?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Wave Race on the Switch?

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 21st, 2020, 6:46 pm

I criticize Sega for sitting on their franchises, but I think Nintendo is just as guilty. Why in the hell has there been no new Wave Race games in the last 15 years? How about Excite Bike?

It seems like they are so focused on their flagship games like Zelda and Mario Kart that they let their other properties rot. I'm sure you guys can name a few more that need to be revisited ASAP.

snakeboy

Re: Wave Race on the Switch?

Postby snakeboy » July 21st, 2020, 8:28 pm

Im with you. A new Wave Race would be great. F-Zero is another one that lots of fans have been asking for. I'd also like to see Wii Sports resurrected (Switch Sports?).

Nintendo needs to make more games like these to fill the gaps between Mario and Zelda.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » July 22nd, 2020, 12:51 am

Nintendo wasn't shy at keeping the U when they released New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe on the Switch, so I'm not even sure if a new entry in the Wii Sports franchise would require rebranding.

A lot of people have fond memories of Wii Sports, even those that were less than enthralled with the Wii overall. So maintaining the brand on a non-Wii console probably still has value if a new entry is ever created, despite the commercial failure of the Wii U damaging the Wii name.

Not to mention that Wii nostalgia isn't too far away now. The launch of the Wii and Wii Sports is quickly nearing the 15th anniversary. A lot of folks will be wanting to revisit their favorite Wii games and a modern Wii Sports would be one avenue Nintendo could use to cash in on that movement.
Last edited by Atariboy on July 22nd, 2020, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » July 22nd, 2020, 4:09 am

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » July 22nd, 2020, 5:47 am

I would love to see a Marios Strikers Charge game on the Switch. Well, one that is done right. I did not really like Mario Tennis on the Switch so I guess there is a way they could screw it up. I would also like to see a new Donkey Kong game as well.

Voor

Postby Voor » July 22nd, 2020, 7:02 am

Part of me gets annoyed with re-releases. I get that in the Switch’s case they allow owners who didn’t have Some of their old consoles to enjoy these games (like New Super Mario U, DK Tropical Freeze, Resident Evil 4, etc), but I kind of like systems (or generations) being defined by games that are unique to them.

I hear Mario 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy are about to be packaged together in a re-release for the Switch, and I have mixed feelings about that.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 22nd, 2020, 9:22 am

Voor wrote:Part of me gets annoyed with re-releases. I get that in the Switch’s case they allow owners who didn’t have Some of their old consoles to enjoy these games (like New Super Mario U, DK Tropical Freeze, Resident Evil 4, etc), but I kind of like systems (or generations) being defined by games that are unique to them.

I hear Mario 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy are about to be packaged together in a re-release for the Switch, and I have mixed feelings about that.

Given all of the rereleases on the PS4 and Xbox, and the inevitable rereleases on PS5 and onward, I can't be mad about rereleasing games on the Switch, especially given how horrible the WiiU sold.

That said, Nintendo does have a history of not releasing new games in their series, though they are far from the only one that does this (Hello Sega, how is Ristar and Eternal Champions today?). On the other hand, Nintendo at least does reference their games in nice tribute fashion (Mario Kart 8's F-Zero, ExiteBike and Zelda courses and Super Smash Ultimate), which is more than I can say for most other developers.

The sad thing is that many of these series are not AAA Tier titles these days and would not sell as well as we would like/hope. I would love to see a Wave Race or F-Zero game, but I would not be one to buy it, as while I would enjoy them I wouldn't play them as much as, say, Shantae or Pokemon Shield.

DocHix

Postby DocHix » July 22nd, 2020, 10:03 am

I remember reading a brief story in a European gaming magazine's online "rumor column" last year about a possible new Wave Race franchise featuring Mario characters being in development (it was referred to as "Mario Wave Race" in the article). I've never seen another word about it anywhere but it sounded interesting. Maybe that is a direction they could take...or possibly consider adding more realistic water physics and "wave rider" sections to the next Mario Kart?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 22nd, 2020, 10:49 am

DocHix wrote:I remember reading a brief story in a European gaming magazine's online "rumor column" last year about a possible new Wave Race franchise featuring Mario characters being in development (it was referred to as "Mario Wave Race" in the article). I've never seen another word about it anywhere but it sounded interesting. Maybe that is a direction they could take...or possibly consider adding more realistic water physics and "wave rider" sections to the next Mario Kart?

Ugh I hope they don't go the Mario route. I'd really like to see realistic water-skiing action over the cartoon stuff. I think they could really do some amazing things with the locations and weather.

I always liked the look of Wave Race: Blue Storm (GameCube) although it was a little hard to play.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 22nd, 2020, 11:00 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:
DocHix wrote:I remember reading a brief story in a European gaming magazine's online "rumor column" last year about a possible new Wave Race franchise featuring Mario characters being in development (it was referred to as "Mario Wave Race" in the article). I've never seen another word about it anywhere but it sounded interesting. Maybe that is a direction they could take...or possibly consider adding more realistic water physics and "wave rider" sections to the next Mario Kart?

Ugh I hope they don't go the Mario route. I'd really like to see realistic water-skiing action over the cartoon stuff. I think they could really do some amazing things with the locations and weather.

I always liked the look of Wave Race: Blue Storm (GameCube) although it was a little hard to play.

Considering that Mario Kart was a multiplayer F-Zero from the putset, a Mario Wve Race might be interesting

Return to “Modern Gaming”