Xbox Series X Games Reveal

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
ActRaiser

Re: Xbox Series X Games Reveal

Postby ActRaiser » July 28th, 2020, 9:36 am

BanjoPickles wrote:What really irritates me about the Xbox X reveal has nothing to do at all with Microsoft themselves.

I’m irritated with Nintendo.

When the pandemic started, I totally understood that that the gaming world would be impacted by it, and Nintendo came out and said as much.

However, as time has gone on, it seems sort of suspect because Sony had their PS5 reveal, Microsoft unveiled the Series X, Ubisoft had their showcase, with another one planned for the near future. It seems that nearly every worthwhile developer, big and small, has worked their way around the E3 cancellation.

Except, of course, Nintendo.

With the pending release of two new consoles this Fall, it seems weird to me that Nintendo has nothing announced for the Fall, and even if they announce anything in the next few weeks, that leaves three months to hype what would be their big holiday release. If they’ve had months to work from home, it’s surprising that they wouldn’t have anything to show for it.

At the very least, they could focus some of their effort on NSO. It seems like now would be the ideal time to reveal N64 games, if that was in the cards.

Hmm, I thought of something. Nintendo has been supply chain restrained with Switches selling out. If that's the case then there's a sizable demand for its backlog of games such as Mario Kart 8 and Mario Galaxy. Maybe, they've run the numbers and realized they can make just as much money this fall selling their back catalog to new customers versus releasing new games. I mean all those Switches need games...and if their existing games are selling that gives them a pass for this year.

It gives them one more year to polish games and release to a much larger install base. The opportunity cost is that existing customers don't have new games to buy but they can always get a few Indi games online to tide them over. Plus, there are compilations and ports coming out by 3rd parties.

Next year they can sell twice as much Mario 2021, Zelda 2021, and Metroid 2022 the following year due to the now much larger install base.

Then again, it's Nintendo. They do whatever they want and don't really release on a normal cadence.

Voor

Postby Voor » July 28th, 2020, 6:40 pm

Good thought. With the pandemic looming over EVERYTHING, Nintendo can probably ride out 2020 having enjoyed a nice bump in sales, let Sony and Microsoft beat each other up and split sales, and then come back with Metroid Prime 4, Mario Kart 9, BOTW 2, etc in 2021.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » July 29th, 2020, 10:56 am

Voor wrote:Good thought. With the pandemic looming over EVERYTHING, Nintendo can probably ride out 2020 having enjoyed a nice bump in sales, let Sony and Microsoft beat each other up and split sales, and then come back with Metroid Prime 4, Mario Kart 9, BOTW 2, etc in 2021.

Good thought bringing up both Sony and Microsoft launching new consoles this year. If a new Zelda were released it's always possible to get lost in the shuffle hype.

In my humble opinion a new Zelda or Mario would still sell well as most folks that hunger for that game will buy it even if they are also buying a PS5. My hunch is they don't have the games anywhere close to being ready. I'm still surprised they haven't released Super Mario 3D World. That's got to be a pretty inexpensive port. I can't remember much if any touchscreen controls for it at all.

Voor

Postby Voor » July 29th, 2020, 12:08 pm

I guess I’m old, but I’m still always surprised when gamers (aside from collectors like VGC) have more than one current gen system. Two reasons:

-the money involved
-do people really buy extra consoles for a small handful of exclusive games?

I kind of hope they don’t release 3D world on Switch. I like it when games are unique to their systems. I’m cool with collections from the past (Mario all stars, for example), but to rerelease a game on the very next generation? Meh...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 29th, 2020, 4:05 pm

Once again, Microsoft is absolutely pathetic when it comes to naming things. Halo Infinite? What's the next one going to be called? Infinite 2? Asinine!

One thing that gives me hope is that it's supposed to support local split-screen coop play. That's been pretty hard to come by on non-Nintendo consoles as of late.

Of course, they could still find a way to screw it up, like forcing both users to "log in" first. I think that happened to be on one of the recent Gears of War game and it was a nightmare to set up.

m0zart

Postby m0zart » July 30th, 2020, 8:59 pm

My vote is for “Halo Indeterminate Form”

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 1st, 2020, 11:31 am

Halo Maybe

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » August 4th, 2020, 6:43 pm

If you think that reveal is bad.. watch the Stadia one..

Wow. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-07-14-google-announces-16-new-stadia-games-including-five-exclusives

The Critic is never going to see this unless he gets a 100 megabit connection..

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » August 4th, 2020, 6:55 pm

So you all probably know I love Xbox. 4 things they have done really badly this time.
1 they have withdrawn xbox live gold yearly. So you either get 3 month or get games pass with gold.. they call it ultimate then get 100 games.. only 2 or 3 or which are worth having.

2 Daft name.

3 The last console only worked online. If you were offline it did not work very well. Also it saves to the cloud. Maybe you can turn that off by the settings.

4 lacklustre parade of games. Only Halo and Stalker 2 look good. DLC for outworlds could be good as well but it dlc and not a new game.
Plus we still do not know that the price will be... I am thinking something ludicrous like 499

Return to “Modern Gaming”