Not getting Madden this year...

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Herschie

Not getting Madden this year...

Postby Herschie » August 21st, 2020, 2:47 pm

For the first time since 1998, I will not be picking up Madden. If you had told me back then as I was walking out of Funcoland with Madden '99 (The game released in 1998) would be far better than Madden 21, I'd have tried to buy what you were smoking. But I'm actually having a blast with these old PS1 Madden games, while I haven't been impressed with recent versions.

Usually I grab it as soon as it comes out, but this year I decided to see some reviews. After reading these impressions (https://tinyurl.com/y6zeps2j), I think this is the year I skip it, unless there's some crazy sale where I can grab it at ten dollars. I know PS5 is coming out, but then I can't help but remember how disappointed I was with Madden 06 on Xbox 360.

Maybe I'll start another ESPN NFL 2K5 franchise this year.

matmico399

Re: Not getting Madden this year...

Postby matmico399 » August 21st, 2020, 5:36 pm

I agree with you. I had both Madden in NCAA football on my 360 but I couldn't really get into them. To me the best football games we're on the PS1 PS2. These modern Madden games are just not very fun. I think I even enjoy the Genesis football games more than the modern ones. I have also quit buying myself.

DialSforSam

Postby DialSforSam » August 21st, 2020, 7:55 pm

Same here. I was a yearly Madden player from the '99 edition on the PSOne, up to the '09 version on the 360. I guess I just kinda lost interest in the series. Seems nowadays you play one Madden, you play 'em all.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 21st, 2020, 9:39 pm

I'm not interested in the new Madden and I'll be surprised if there's even an NFL season this year.
The baseball season has been a complete joke and I can't even watch it.

noah98

Postby noah98 » August 22nd, 2020, 6:49 am

I've been playing a whole lot of Bill Walsh '95. Can't believe how fun that game still is!

noah98

Postby noah98 » August 31st, 2020, 5:32 pm

https://www.pcgamer.com/madden-nfl-21-h ... etacritic/

Remember when I said Football games were still going to suck when EA got the exclusive NFL rights again?

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » August 31st, 2020, 10:49 pm

noah98 wrote:https://www.pcgamer.com/madden-nfl-21-has-one-of-the-lowest-user-scores-on-metacritic/

Remember when I said Football games were still going to suck when EA got the exclusive NFL rights again?

I read this article today. I blame all the fools who line up every year, year after year, to purchase at full price (sometimes even pre-ordering for reasons I'll never understand) this game which always amounts to basically a roster update and a couple of tweaks. How they can seem to BREAK the game while doing nothing more minor tweaks is beyond me, but the only way to get EA to put any effort into the Madden franchise at this point is if everyone boycotts it until they get it right.

Just rename your players from any Madden post-2008 and you'll be as up to date as you need to be.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » September 10th, 2020, 5:48 pm

It's free to play this weekend. I wouldn't say it's terrible, it's actually decent. But I definitely expect more in 2020.

jon

Postby jon » September 24th, 2020, 9:06 pm

I’ve wondered about the demographics for these Madden games. In the 90’s I felt like I was part of the crowd who liked football games. I certainly liked the great computer games as well as on the PS1. There were some great games with amazing career modes. But later on the career modes got so complicated and the gameplay too. I certainly don’t feel like part of the audience. I guess there’s people that love playing the Madden games and career modes. I only relate to the late 80’s early 90’s ones that didn’t even have a career mode.

Return to “Modern Gaming”