Whats so great about Fallout?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
DaHeckIzDat

Whats so great about Fallout?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » November 7th, 2020, 3:31 am

I've been known to enjoy an Elder Scrolls game now and then, but I've never understood the appeal of Bethesda's Fallout games. The VATs system is a cool mechanic, yes, but that's literally the only good thing I have to say about them. What's the biggest draw of a Bethesda RPG? To have a huge, interesting world to explore. But while Fallout's maps are certainly big, where's the fun in exploring it? Everything is the same drab brown color, I've never found anything that's remotely interesting to look at, and any building you go into is going to look exactly like the other 800 dilapidated buildings you've explored. So what is it about these games that have made them so insanely popular? I'm genuinely curious.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Whats so great about Fallout?

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 7th, 2020, 8:29 am

I think it's a fair question! I guess some people are attracted to its Mad Max-style, post-apocalyptic, scraping-by-for-survival vibe.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » November 7th, 2020, 10:47 am

Objectively, looking at Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Fallout 4 there is a "more of the same" type vibe. The same flaws exist in all Bethesda's RPG's. Big maps and chock full of mundane side quests that act for purpose of padding. Elder Scrolls has the same padding flaws as Fallout although it has more variety.

I was enthralled by the original RPG's Fallout 1 and 2 and these are easily, for my money, among the best RPG's ever made. This same enthusiasm carried over to the 3D RPG-lite Fallout's, for me at least. Yes, like Elder Scrolls there are significant flaws but the sandbox RPG subgenre is held back by its limitations. Even much lauded Breath of the Wild, objectively, has little substance in comparison to the world size.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » November 7th, 2020, 1:08 pm

When I first gave Fallout 3 a try, I had the same reservations about it being drab, boring and repetitive. But once I started playing I absolutely got lost in the world it creates.

I’m not a fan of post-apocalyptic stuff, it’s kinda like the zombie fad to me. However I am a fan of retro-futuristic inspired stuff (not to be confused with steampunk), 1950s Americana, and strong influences from post-WW2 Cold War Nuclear/Communism fears. Fallout 3 weaves all of these into its style along with its post-apocalyptic society. Pre and post apocalypse, the world is also shrouded in that unsettling over-optimism portraying a utopian society found in PSAs at the time (edit: the 40s/50s) which lends itself nicely to the main plot.

I definitely felt ownership of my character, which helped my immersion. The first time I ventured away from the settlements and explored the wastelands, I legit felt in danger as my health, ammo and supplies ran low from battles. Finding buildings to explore becomes risk/reward, especially if your situation is getting critical - you never know what supplies/enemies you may find. I stopped noticing how drab everything was and began to view it more as bleak, which sets the mood perfectly.

I lost interest in the plot as it evolved - there were a few disengaging moments. But by that point I was already hooked - the games strength absolutely lies in its side quests and your own personal experience surviving the wastelands.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » November 8th, 2020, 8:28 am

It really does depend on which iterations of Fallout you're referring to, since the first few were a different animal than Fallout 3 and on. Since you reference the Edler Scrolls games, I assume you're talking about the Bethesda games (Fallout 3 and since then). Personally, having played the original Fallout games and loving them, I grabbed Fallout 3 for the PC pretty much upon release. The shift from overhead perspective to first/third person was a bit jarring at first, and the clear de-emphasis on the RPG elements in favor of more FPS elements was also a turnoff. I put about an hour or so into the game, and then shelved it.

Fast forward about a year, I decided to give it another try and swore I'd play it for at least 10 hours before giving up on it again. Sure enough, once I gave it more of a chance, I really got into it. Of course I enjoyed the VATS system (glad they didn't change that) and always thought the SPECIAL system was cool, but I became quickly immersed in the world that Bethesda created. The characters, the factions, the environment, the sense of "what's in this building?" or "what's over this ridge?" kept me coming back. Sure, almost all the derelict buildings have the same smattering of nothing inside of them, but you never know when you're going to stumble across some interesting item, cache of goods, or character that might trigger another side quest. I guess in the end it was really the never ending stream of side-quests that kept me coming back. I ultimately largely forgot about the 'main quest' for quite awhile, until I had pretty much discovered all settlements/locations/factions through the constant side-quest runs. After that I tied up the main quest simply because I had put in probably 80 hours or so and was ready to move on from the game.

Certainly if large, sandbox-lite games aren't you're style, you're not going to like Fallout 3. I really enjoyed the dystopian world and sense of being able to be do or be whatever I wanted. I may yet go back and re-play the game, this time playing the part of a complete scoundrel (vice my original play through where I played the standard guy trying to do the 'right' thing all the time). I have since played through New Vegas on the Xbox 360, and while it was a slightly different experience than playing on the PC, I found it at least as enjoyable if not more so.

Ozzybear

Postby Ozzybear » November 8th, 2020, 5:59 pm

The only fallout I’ve ever really enjoyed is the one everyone else didn’t seem to care for .. brotherhood of steel .
I liked it cause it played more like dark alliance, champions of norrath, etc.
Games like that are my fav style , so I really got into the fallout brotherhood of steel game.

Tron

Postby Tron » December 17th, 2020, 11:00 pm

Exploring areas without being forced to follow a story line.

Being able to kill almost anyone. New Vegas was the best.

Collecting loot, buying and selling.

Approaching combat differently, stealth sometimes, using different weapons, toying with weak enemies, setting up your follower for success or failure. The best is getting enemies to fight other enemies.

Doing quests and seeing how it affects the game world.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » December 18th, 2020, 7:19 pm

Fallout 76 ... nothing.

Return to “Modern Gaming”