Online Account Hacking?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Gentlegamer

Re: Online Account Hacking?

Postby Gentlegamer » November 24th, 2020, 1:02 pm

C64_Critic wrote:This is a big fear of mine; I've had my Steam account for well over a decade now, and have amassed quite a large collection of games. Although I rarely pay more than $5 for any one game, the overall value of my account at this point is probably close to $2500. If someone were to guess or hack my password and lock me out, I'd be forever out of all that money and those games and have to start over. I'm smart enough to have a unique and impossible-to-guess password for my account of course, but it does happen. My son has had his Steam account hacked/stolen on multiple occasions in the past, and while I suspect he's just been conned by a smooth social engineer into giving up his password each time (he swears this isn't the case, but I can't figure out how else it may keep happening), either way it results in a total loss of your library. And Steam makes it notoriously impossible to actually get a hold of anyone at the company in order to get your account back should this happen.

Steam uses two factor authentication when logging into a different computer.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » November 25th, 2020, 7:33 am

Gentlegamer wrote:
Steam uses two factor authentication when logging into a different computer.

Yes, it does now, but this is a fairly recent feature, or at least was NOT a feature the last time he got his account stolen. I recently purchased a new laptop and can't honestly tell you whether Steam required two-factor for me when I logged in for the first time from it or not.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 25th, 2020, 8:44 am

It's also important that you have different passwords for every account. Let's say some store gets hacked (happens every day) and they get a list of usernames and passwords. The hackers will then turn around and try to use those username/password combinations on every service they can find including Steam. Even the most complex password would not be safe from that.

Return to “Modern Gaming”