PS4 Digital Only Games

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
jackj5000

PS4 Digital Only Games

Postby jackj5000 » December 7th, 2020, 8:29 am

Does anybody have some good suggestions of digital only games on the PS4? I usually only buy physical copies of games, so I'm looking for games that don't have a physical release because I have some money to spend on my PS4 account. Thoughts?

jackj5000

Re: PS4 Digital Only Games

Postby jackj5000 » December 28th, 2020, 5:07 pm

Considering Celeste, since it's only physical release looks to Limited Run from what I can tell.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 28th, 2020, 9:16 pm

I personally think Celeste is highly overrated. I did a whole write-up on the reasons why in the Reader Review section a year or two ago.

I’d be able to give you some good recommendations on this, as I tend to buy a lot of digital games when they go on sale and I try to research the best ones. But I’d need to go on my PS4 sometime to refresh my recollection of games I liked. I will tell you that Hollow Knight, Journey, Hotline Miami, and Shadow Complex are four of my all-time favorite digital games. Shadow Complex had a limited run release, but it is very expensive on ebay, so the $15 digital version makes more sense. Journey got a physical release, but only on PS3. Not sure if Hollow Knight got one. Hotline Miami did, but it’s also expensive on ebay, but super cheap when it goes on sale digitally.

What Remains of Edith Finch is another very good story-based game that is one of the best-reviewed digital games on PS4. I had a good time with it, and it’s probably the best game ever in the “walking sim” genre. I’ll try to list more next time I’m on my PS4, but that’s some starter options to look into.

jackj5000

Postby jackj5000 » December 29th, 2020, 9:29 am

Interesting, maybe I'll stay away from Celeste for now. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look into those and see what I like. I completely forgot about Journey, and Hotline Miami looks pretty wild, I might check out those ones.

Voor

Postby Voor » December 29th, 2020, 12:24 pm

I picked up Celeste for $5, and I think it’s worth playing for sure. Retro is right, it may be overrated, but it’s level design is sooooo good, you really need to experience. The story is too bloated, but it’s fairly short, and progression feels very rewarding.

Hollow Knight is great but very daunting. Also, to me, it’s much too long for what it is.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 30th, 2020, 10:38 am

Yeah, I should clarify my opinion of Celeste in that it isn't necessarily a bad game that you should avoid. It has redeeming qualities. In fact, I've gone as far as saying that Celeste has the best level design of any platformer game EVER made -- the problem is it just isn't very fun after the first couple levels, especially if you try to get the best ending by collecting the strawberries during the game (which are often extra hard to reach). In fact, the gameplay is the opposite of fun, compounded by one of the most annoying stories and characters I've ever experienced in a game. Add in the billion critics that heaped endless praise on the game, and it just makes me dislike it even more. BUT, BUT, that's not to say it's entirely bad, especially when you're paying $5 like Voor did. Anyway, for more info, this was my full review of the game on the forums:

https://videogamecritic.com/forums/view ... 90&t=17607

But if you have a limited digital budget, I do think there are way better options than Celeste.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 2nd, 2021, 6:36 am

There's Hollow Knight (unless that got a physical PS4 release? I'm not sure...) that I would recommend to anybody.

I wasn't a fan of Darkest Dungeon, but considering the reader score my review got I must be in the minority, so it might be worth checking out if you're an RPG fan.

The Phoenix Wright Trilogy is pretty fun, if you're into the visual novel kind of thing.

Octodad: Dadliest Catch is short and cheap, but good for a couple hours' worth of silly fun.

Of all the Souls-likes I've played, Remnant: From the Ashes is probably my favorite. It manages to copy the Dark Souls formula decently well, while also turning it into a perfectly functional (if not entirely unique) third person shooter.

Salt and Sanctuary is another Souls-like, but this time it's a Castlevania-esque sidescroller. I had a good enough time with it, but the bosses can be really frustrating when you can only dodge forwards and backwards.

Subnautica is probably the innovative "craft 'n survive" game I've played, since you're trapped in the middle of a massive ocean. All the exploration is done underwater, and you can measure your progress in the story (by the way, there's actually a story here) by constructing gadgets and vehicles that let you explore deeper and deeper. I'm not the kind of guy who gets scared by video games, but swimming to the surface as fast as you can while your oxygen tank beeps at you and darkness slowly clouds your vision might be the most alarming feeling I've ever felt in a game. The game also lets you adjust it to how you like to play, which I took advantage of because I didn't like having to pause in my exploring the gather food and water.

Undertale. Just...I don't want to say anything about it because it's better if you don't know anything going in. Just freaking play it.

Return to “Modern Gaming”