Cyberpunk 2077

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Cyberpunk 2077

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 7th, 2020, 4:34 pm

This is one Xbox One title I'm really looking forward to:
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/12/ ... an-future/

Not so much for Keanu Reeves, but the ability to mill around in a futuristic neon city. I was always a big Blade Runner fan and the environments kind of remind me of that.

I hear the games is a bit rough, but I don't care. I'm sure it will be fine. They can keep the patches.

Voor

Re: Cyberpunk 2077

Postby Voor » December 7th, 2020, 5:13 pm

I was going to post about the unusual practice with review footage happening. Apparently, reviewers are not allowed (by the company) to show any of their gameplay footage—the can only use official footage sent by the developer.

Reviews so far have been glowing, but all point out that there are a lot of bugs, but a day 1 patch is planned. I supposed this rule about footage has to do with them not wanting to show the pre-patch bugs.

Critic: the patch will be RIGHT THERE. Why not take it?

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » December 11th, 2020, 5:11 pm

I am playing it right now on PC. Hopefully when it releases on console they will iron out the bugs and have it running smoother. Right now at 1080p sporting an RTX 2080TI and i9-9900K CPU along with 32GB of blazing fast RAM the performance is a little rough. Games with this first person perspective are quite jarring when the frame rates drop much, headache inducing. Hope they can get running better on consoles, no doubt they will be patching the crap out of the PC version as time goes on so it runs well on weaker hardware. I might pick up on a next gen console because I have a thing for hard copies.

As for the game itself, yeah it is good so far. Not amazing but good. The hype was strong with this one and we all had expectations for a 10/10 game. The game itself is an 8.5/10 so far but I have only sunk 12 hours into it. As with games of this size and scope, you tend to grow fonder as time passes. Not instantly playable as, say, something like Breath of the Wild or Mario Odyssey if that makes sense.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » December 11th, 2020, 5:23 pm

I will add if you get this I would err towards a next gen console. From what I heard PS4/XB One graphics are pretty washed out and the immersive first person perspective would definitely benefit from smoother frame rates expected on next gen consoles. You might get better experience with the Pro or One X if you own otherwise it might be worth when you punt for a next gen console (if they ever become available).

VicViper

Postby VicViper » December 12th, 2020, 8:39 am

This is a game you REALLY wanna play on PC and not on consoles, especially not the base consoles.

https://youtu.be/C5pHpQqhmR4?t=531

Cyberpunk is not only released very buggy despite the numerous delays, but the console versions are very compromised. Even beyond raw performance, there's a reason why they recommend using an SSD for the PC version, and the console versions are proof of that, everything that loads in real time takes a really long while and performance takes a hit.

I think choosing to not get the game patched is a shot in the foot for such a big game, especially because of COVID which has slowed game development & testing to a crawl in the first place. CD Projekt are very talented, but no one would be able to pull off the miracle of releasing such an ambitious game without glitches, let alone with the COVID situation. In fact, The Witcher 3 was also rather rough on PS4/Xbox One, but they relentlessly patched it over the years to feel way more polished.

In short, they began their project in 2012, but it grew so large they probably should've repurposed this game into a PS5/Xbox Series X game. Even the enhanced PS4 Pro & Xbox One X versions run bad.

And like, we've had games that were never supposed to run on specific hardware, like Doom on SNES, or The Witcher 3 on Switch, and they're praised for even running on those systems. But we have to understand that even if they're excellent games, those platforms they're on are still the very worst way to experience them (debatable for Doom beyond the 3DO version, but I'm giving the 3DO version some slack for being carried by one single programmer without the source code for 10 weeks), and can downright ruin the game in certain cases.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 14th, 2020, 3:17 pm

Wow I didn't realize how bad the situation was!

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/12/ ... e-players/

I think I'll wait until the PS5 version!

noah98

Postby noah98 » December 14th, 2020, 6:04 pm

I'm enjoying it on PC, and if you like Blade Runner, you'll have a lot of fun with this game. However, if you play on the base consoles, read this first:

https://www.ign.com/articles/cyberpunk- ... n-4-review

I'm not sure how much better it is on the PS4 Pro or XBOX One X, but definitely not worth it on the original models. Anyone have the game on PS5 or Series X?

I have a relatively high end PC with an NVIDIA 2080 Super, and an i7 9700K processor. Without raytracing, I can get 80fps at 1440p ultra settings. With ultra raytracing on, that drops to around 45fps. The framerate is stable, so the tradeoff is pretty good, considering how amazing the raytracing looks. The nice thing about PC, is I can tweak the settings and either go with higher frames or better visuals. Usually I always go with higher frames, but the raytracing is pretty amazing with this game!

VicViper

Postby VicViper » December 15th, 2020, 8:55 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Wow I didn't realize how bad the situation was!

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/12/ ... e-players/

I think I'll wait until the PS5 version!

Technically, you can play the PS4/ONE version on PS5/Series X & S and it does at least run pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0aZocG ... =emb_title

It's still a far cry from the PC version in terms of visuals, but it does 60 FPS and has less loading glitches than the base PS4 version. Visually speaking though, aside from resolution bump, it's pretty much on par with PS4, meaning it's less crowded than PC, textures, lighting, shadows, etc are lesser...

A built from the ground up PS5 version would look better.

Xbox Series X on Quality Mode though has added/enhanced effects and higher crowd densities, so it is better there than on PS5, but still not to the level of PC, and it's locked to 30 FPS as opposed to 60 FPS on performance mode.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 15th, 2020, 3:11 pm

So I was thinking "why didn't they just wait another year to make sure this thing was finished?"

Then I did a little research and learned it's been under development for NINE YEARS. Wow.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 18th, 2020, 4:48 am

This continues to get worse and worse. This is tantamount to a nation-wide recall, except not for any controversy, for the game being unfinished (aka broken).

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/12/ ... d-program/

Return to “Modern Gaming”