Anybody have the new PS5 or Xbox?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Anybody have the new PS5 or Xbox?

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 2nd, 2021, 7:55 am

If anyone has somehow obtained the new Playstation 5 or Xbox Series X please report what you think. I'm really interested to hear if this console(s) are really worth purchasing in this day and time. Right now I have no desire, but I think that will change as they develop their own libraries.

Voor

Re: Anybody have the new PS5 or Xbox?

Postby Voor » January 3rd, 2021, 2:29 pm

I have a family member that has both. I don’t think he has any games for them thosuggt—still plays stuff compatible on the old generation.

pickle_chugger

Postby pickle_chugger » January 3rd, 2021, 3:59 pm

I splurged and got myself a PS5 this year when they went up for preorder on Amazon.
I'm a playstation plus subscriber so that gave me access to Bugsnax and a library of PS4 games that I never got around to playing.
The pack in game Astro's Playroom is the real standout so far. An amazing platformer that makes great use of the new Dual Sense controller- My whole family dug it and really is the stand out title in my eyes.
The graphics are beautiful on a 4k television and the load times are almost non-existent which is such a nice change of pace. My launch edition PS4 is showing it's age and sounds like a swamp cooler when in use.

My gaming time is limited and I have been having a great time with the Astro's Playroom, Bugsnax, and Days Gone (which I never got around to playing on PS4).

Nothing else out of the launch line up has really made me want to pull the trigger for a purchase. If you happen to see one in the wild I would say it's worth your time and will add to your collection. Definitely not worth paying scalper prices for though-

travistouchdown

Postby travistouchdown » January 4th, 2021, 2:52 pm

I haven't seen them in the wild, and i'm too lazy to pre-order or stand in line these days so i probably won't get one for years if at all.

I feel like my Xbox One X is powerful enough to handle most of the next gen games for some time so i'm good with that since it's power level technically falls between the Series S and Series X.

The PS5 is just too damn big; holding out for the "slim" model for sure. Also don't really feel compelled to buy it until another Uncharted is released, which is the system selling franchise for me.

I have a friend who has one (PS5) and seems to think it's the bees knees; but i think he's been drinking the Sony kool-aid for some time now. All good; whatever floats your boat!

SpiceWare

Postby SpiceWare » January 5th, 2023, 5:33 pm

Finally managed to order a PS5 last Friday when I noticed Best Buy had a limited number of the Ragnarök bundles available. It arrived at my local Best Buy yesterday morning, so I picked it up during my lunch break.

Their in-store selection was quite sparse, though I managed to find their only copy of Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on a rolling stock cart. R&C is one of my favorite series on the PS2 and PS3. I never got around to getting a PS4, so I've yet to play the 2016 remake. I'd also wanted to pick up a 2nd controller, a charging stand, Spryo Reignited (PS4), and Atari 50, but no luck for those.

I liked how the PS5 had me insert the R&C disc so it could install it while I was going through the setup process - nice time saver.

Had a minor issue setting it up - when I turned on HDR the PS5 dropped the resolution down to 1080p. Took a bit to figure out I had to turn on a "Full UHD Color" option for the specific HDMI input port on my TV. I had to do that when I set up my 4K blu-ray player as well, but that was back in 2019 so I'd forgotten about that step.

I really got sucked into ASTRO's Playroom, visuals and audio are great and I liked how it shows off all the features of the new DualSense controller. I made it to the end of SSD Speedway, and am about halfway thru Memory Meadow. The artifacts that you discover are neat touch - I'd totally forgotten about Eye Toy, finding that brought back fond memories of playing games like Wishi Washi with my nephews.

Just briefly checked out R&C - wow. Didn't get very far as it was getting late.

Have not yet fired up Ragnarök, though I have installed it. The bundle contained a digital download code, not an actual disc copy of the game.

The original Spryo the Dragon is the game that got me back into consoles (I'd gone from the 2600 to computers, starting with a VIC20 in 1981) and I periodically replay the original trilogy. Most recently that was via rips of my original discs running at ~4K via DuckStation on my Mac mini (check out those screenshots - it's amazing the amount of detail that was hidden in PS1 games!). I decided my next replay will be via the Spyro Reignited Trilogy, so have that ordered with an ETA of tomorrow. Also have a new HDMI cable coming with that order as the included cable was just a tad too short for my setup.

Return to “Modern Gaming”