Ready for $70 games?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Ready for $70 games?

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 9th, 2021, 7:46 pm

I think you could make a case for or against this.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/03/ ... very-game/

If modern games were complete and not just beta versions, I think $70 might be justified. But a lot of games are unfinished, and then they nickel and dime the customer with subscriptions and DLC.

Personally, I just tend to wait a few months and most games on disc drop in price considerably.

This is one thing I fear about a digital-only marketplace - they do NOT necessary drop in price. Which is ironic since it costs nothing to produce an infinite number of copies.

ActRaiser

Re: Ready for $70 games?

Postby ActRaiser » March 10th, 2021, 7:40 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I think you could make a case for or against this.
This is one thing I fear about a digital-only marketplace - they do NOT necessary drop in price. Which is ironic since it costs nothing to produce an infinite number of copies.

Huh? I don't about you but that's pretty much the only time I buy online games is when they drop to dirt cheap prices. I mean excluding Nintendo first party games, everything else goes on sale. Sure, you'd have to actually see the sale to buy them at a reduced price but they drop in price all the time.

I'm with ya on waiting a bit for a new game to drop in price. It used to be I'd buy it on launch day. Now, I rarely play any games and can wait or enjoy any number of games from my backlog for a game to drop in price. I'm fine with the price increase as it will be 2/3rds that price in a few weeks anyways. :)

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » March 10th, 2021, 8:30 am

Digital games on closed systems such as PSN and XBL go down very little; on PC marketplaces such as Steam and GOG, digital games are often had for pennies on the dollar, even if you have to wait for a seasonal sale.

Voor

Postby Voor » March 10th, 2021, 8:51 am

I don’t know about that. I’ve bought lots of digital games for $10 or less, some very popular games. Heck, some are even free now.

First party Nintendo games usually will drop $10 over time, but that’s hardly a new trend, and honestly, as good as they are, I don’t mind paying full price for those. For the rest, I’m content to wait.

Also, “ if modern games were complete and not just beta versions, I think $70 might be justified”. I think this is an overstatement. Sure, some games are like that, but lots of games are released as complete/polished/finished versions.

HawgWyld

Postby HawgWyld » March 10th, 2021, 12:38 pm

This is one of the reasons I like my Switch so much. Sure, there is plenty of digital content, but the emphasis is still on physical copies of things. Heck, I still enjoy my Wii-U (and will for years to come) for the same reason.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » March 10th, 2021, 1:51 pm

I feel like this is a bit off topic, but still on topic, as it deals with $70 games. Whenever I look at old advertisements for games during the '90's, new Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis games were going for around that price. To me, it's a little bit surprising that games were that price back then.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 10th, 2021, 2:57 pm

I'm surprised it hasn't happened already, to be honest. I guess it has a little bit, by adding "special edition" versions at launch to hook the people who will pay a little more. I also tend to wait awhile (sometimes years) before buying a game. This generation, I can only think of a few games where I made the splurge. I would hate to see it go all-digital on consoles and see the price drops come much slower.

CharlieR wrote:I feel like this is a bit off topic, but still on topic, as it deals with $70 games. Whenever I look at old advertisements for games during the '90's, new Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis games were going for around that price. To me, it's a little bit surprising that games were that price back then.

Same here. Some were even $100 or more (like Phantasy Star IV on Genesis). And somehow "i wish games still came on cartridges" is a common thing to say. I don't know who to credit - but my guess is PS1 was most responsible for standardizing the $50 price point, allowed by CDs. Certainly helped it overtake the N64.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 10th, 2021, 5:33 pm

CharlieR wrote:I feel like this is a bit off topic, but still on topic, as it deals with $70 games. Whenever I look at old advertisements for games during the '90's, new Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis games were going for around that price. To me, it's a little bit surprising that games were that price back then.

In the 16-bit SNES days I only purchased two games for $75. They were Street FIghter Turbo and Super Empire Strikes Back. I think I got them both on the day of release. You could find most Genesis and SNES for $40-$60. And back then you were actually getting a complete, working game with box, manual, and cart.

Lucifixion

Postby Lucifixion » March 10th, 2021, 6:17 pm

Supply and command...

The prices will be increased to whatever the market will bear. Just consider yourselves fortunate you don't live in Canada where the dollar is weak comparatively AND prices are higher by an average of $10.

I mentioned this on an older thread, but I recall working at Walmart as a teenager in the late 90s and seeing some of the N64 game prices. The worst offender was some Mortal Kombat game at $124.99!!! Many other N64 games were encroaching on the $100 price tag, which was absolutely ridiculous.

I also recall buying NHL 19 new from a local store several months after it came out. It was on sale for $19.99, while the Playstation Network still had it at $79.99 (CDN).

Breaker

Postby Breaker » March 10th, 2021, 6:58 pm

I'm always kind of amazed game prices have remained in the $50-$60 range for 30+ years. I get that technology has gotten cheaper, but $60 in 1995 is equivalent to $103 today given inflation. The stability is kind of unprecedented.

Return to “Modern Gaming”