ABZU
Subnautica
Enter the Gungeon
Moss
Paper Beast
Rez Infinite
The Witness
Thumper

In addition to these, I believe Ratchet and Clank is free until the end of the Month. Also, I think I heard that Horizon Zero Dawn will be free at some point in April.

I'll definitely be trying out The Witness, and I highly recommend Enter the Gungeon (think top-down Zelda meets Smash TV).

Crummylion

Re: Free PS4 Games via PSN

Postby Crummylion » March 28th, 2021, 2:22 am

Can't play most of these because they're on psvr, which I don't have. I do want to check out Paper Beasts though. Maybe I will when it's cheap on Steam

Also, Rez Infinite is definitely worth getting and played in vr. VR's optional, but I had the most fun in awhile with the headset on. I also recommend Subnautica if you like survival games, worth playing in hardcore mode but maybe get a guide or play on easy first.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 28th, 2021, 3:13 pm

I have been trying to review Subnautica for the Xbox One for years! Have written a review but frankly don't feel like I've gotten far enough into the game to justify it. That game is a mystery to me.

Maybe I make one more go this summer and then just post whatever I have.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 29th, 2021, 8:49 am

Wow, that's a great lineup too -- pretty much all of these are highly-regarded games with Metacritic scores around 80% and higher. Literally, there's not a dud in the entire bunch and every one is worth trying if the gameplay looks up your alley. I've bought 5 of these already over the years, but I still downloaded the others.

To anyone hesitating, two quick notes:

-You don't need PS+ to download these! They're 100% free. Most free PS4 games only apply to PS+ subscribers. But these free games are different. They are part of the "Play at Home" initiative during the pandemic, so anyone can download them from the PS Store.
-Don't want to take up the hard drive space? Don't own PSVR and not sure if you'll ever play the VR games? Just start the download and then delete it! Then you hold the license and can always re-download it. If you don't do that, then you just lose out on these free games completely.

So, not much reason to pass these up. Thanks for the heads up!

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » April 2nd, 2021, 8:47 am

Unfortunately the link on the PSN store for the free games (under the Play at Home link) was gone when I checked earlier today. Not sure if there will be more games or if the link will return (although Horizon: Zero Dawn is supposed to be available for free on April 19th).

To those that did download them or save them to their profile I can at least vouch for Enter the Gungeon. I'm not particularly good at it but I've put 15-20 hours in it on PC. It reminds me a little of Binding of Isaac but the mood is goofy rather than morbid, the combat mechanics are smoother and more sophisticated (you can dodge roll, flip tables to use as barriers and then push the tables for movable cover, roll explosive barrels and shoot them to detonate them at a distance, bring down chandeliers and vats of lava, etc.) and you get a user-friendly reference that saves info on every new weapon and item that you pick up (which populates as you do more runs). There are also teleporters that open up as you traverse each level, so you can get around in seconds instead of having to walk through a maze of empty rooms just to get back to a chest or the shop. Luck is still a factor as the number of keys to open chests, amount of currency (shell casings) to spend in shops and the quality of the weapons and items will be randomized but the ability to dodge effectively, use the environment/traps to your advantage and control crowds of enemies will carry you through bad luck to a greater degree than in Isaac. I still found it quite difficult - the game expects you to master that dodge-roll because bosses and some of the stronger enemies will unleash waves of projectiles at you that you simply can't run or take cover from. I can't comment on co-op but it feels like it would be a blast with a friend once they learn how everything works.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 2nd, 2021, 8:34 pm

velcrozombie wrote:Unfortunately the link on the PSN store for the free games (under the Play at Home link) was gone when I checked earlier today. Not sure if there will be more games or if the link will return (although Horizon: Zero Dawn is supposed to be available for free on April 19th).

On the PS Store link that snakeboy posted, it says each game is available for free til 4/22. If you can’t find the Play At Home link in the PS Store, just search each game individually. I wouldn’t sleep on this and then forget.. These are some really great indie games across the board.

And Horizon Zero Dawn is probably the best game I’ve played so far on PS4.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » April 2nd, 2021, 9:18 pm

Retro STrife wrote:
On the PS Store link that snakeboy posted, it says each game is available for free til 4/22. If you can’t find the Play At Home link in the PS Store, just search each game individually. I wouldn’t sleep on this and then forget.. These are some really great indie games across the board.

And Horizon Zero Dawn is probably the best game I’ve played so far on PS4.

I already downloaded the games I wanted, but I went back and checked one of the others on the list and I can confirm that it is still available for free. Not sure why they don't have them all conveniently grouped together anymore but you can, as you said, search by name.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » April 5th, 2021, 1:50 pm

I was planning on buying ABZU and The Witness, so this works out well (I wish Firewatch was here, since that's another one I've been wanting).

And I've been meaning to investigate Subnautica and Rez Infinite, since both looked interesting from the little bit I've seen of each. Now instead of watching videos on YouTube to evaluate them for a potential purchase, I can just check them out first hand. And while this is the first I've heard of it, Enter the Gungeon also looks interesting.

Alas, I'm not setup for VR so the others will likely never be downloaded. But I "purchased" them just in case.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » April 20th, 2021, 9:16 am

Return to “Modern Gaming”