Playstation 5 storage woes?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Playstation 5 storage woes?

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 13th, 2021, 5:51 pm

One of the biggest headaches with my PS4 is how whenever I get a new game I had to methodically remove several old games just to make room on the hard drive. That really sucks, but it seems Sony failed to address this problem with the PS5. Actually the PS5 sounds even more nightmarish.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/04/ ... nightmare/

I'd like to hear your take on this.

pacman000

Re: Playstation 5 storage woes?

Postby pacman000 » April 18th, 2021, 8:37 am

This is why I hated the fact the original Xbox had a hard drive; I knew eventually you’d need to install games, & that hard disk space is limited.

Not sure I see any real advantage to consoles at this point; if I can’t just put a disk in & play it, I might as well get a PC. Of course, I don’t think you can even buy complete PC games on disks anymore. :/

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 18th, 2021, 9:08 am

Actually I didn't mind the hard drives on the original Xbox or Xbox 360 consoles, because they only records game saves - not the games themselves - so there was little chance of running out of room.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » April 18th, 2021, 7:01 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Actually I didn't mind the hard drives on the original Xbox or Xbox 360 consoles, because they only records game saves - not the games themselves - so there was little chance of running out of room.

This isn't quite true. On the 360 they eventually added an option that would let you install the full game to the hard drive. It still required the disk to run but it sped up load times.

It was a great feature add.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » April 18th, 2021, 8:53 pm

Some multi-disc 360 releases required the installation of a data disc. The last Forza Motorsport game is one such example as is I believe GTA V.

I wish Sony had rolled out optional disc installs on the PS3 as well as Nintendo on the Wii U. Was a nice way to reduce wear & tear on the 360's DVD drive while also decreasing load times and eliminating the sound of the disc drive working.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 19th, 2021, 7:18 am

With the way games in recent years are ballooning in size compared to games of yore, they could put a 20TB HDD on the PS5 and it would fill up fast, from Updates, mandatory installs, system updates, DLC, etc...

Return to “Modern Gaming”