Looking for Xbox One games

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Looking for Xbox One games

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 16th, 2021, 8:01 am

I want to add new reviews to my Xbox One section, but there haven't been many exclusives for the system lately. When a game is cross-platform I usually get it for the PS4 because there's less belly-aching about being offline.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd like to hear them. You know what kind of games I like.

CaptainCruch

Re: Looking for Xbox One games

Postby CaptainCruch » May 16th, 2021, 10:25 am

I haven't played it, but maybe Quantum Break will appeal to you?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 16th, 2021, 11:46 am

Thanks for this suggestion! I might actually get this. It's cheap and from the people who made Alan Wake.

Steve

Postby Steve » May 17th, 2021, 4:44 pm

I actually did play Quantum Break and it was easily in my top 5 games of that generation, or any generation, so I would strongly echo that suggestion. You did mention that they have not released exclusives 'lately' so not sure how far back you are willing to go but two other suggestions
1) ReCore - I never finished this game but that falls on me. It was enjoyable but perhaps a little difficult for me. I would suggest it
2) Crackdown 3 - I know this game was mocked since it fell well short of expectations and previews but for what videogames should be (fun), it was actually pretty high on my list. It was a game that I finished and for me, that actually says something. Just plain and simple fun, nothing more.

I don't have faith that these will be well reviewed given your reviews of Xbox One games I really like such as Ryse and the C-rated Sunset Overdrive - both excellent games in my opinion.

I know these are also not exclusives however, I vaguely remember them being timed exclusives and notice they have not been reviewed. Those would be Ashen and Below. I haven't played either but I've always been curious. I'd also be curious to see a review of Ori and the Will of the Wisps. I didn't play this one either but I played the first one and was actually shocked by your review. I enjoyed it even though I was terrible at it.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 21st, 2021, 10:26 pm

The review I posted in the RPG Crew is on Xbox One, so if it helps you can switch it over to that instead of PS4.

noah98

Postby noah98 » May 22nd, 2021, 8:19 am

I actually liked ReCore, and that one is XBOX One exclusive. It is cheap now. However, if you do buy a physical copy, you should do the update. They made the much improved definitive edition a free update for those who own a physical copy. So, after the update, I recommend it if you can get it cheap.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 24th, 2021, 6:12 pm

This is what is wrong with the current generation in consoles. It used to be that you popped in the cart and you were ready today. Now it's like "how to play a game in 27 easy steps".

I put in the disc and it said it was installing so I let it go. Come back and it says it needs a system update, which required a big download, a reboot, and a long installation.

Then I figured the game was ready. It copied the game to hard drive but then it prompted me to log in. Why? I guess to download the patches? So I track down my password (hadn't used it in a while) and then the installation continues.

Next I get a message saying I need to clear some space, to the tune of 46 GB! So I cleared out a few games I didn't think I would be playing anytime soon. Heck there was only about 10 games installed.

So then I get a long meter for the installation. Supposed to be done in about a half hour if nothing else pops up.

I know what you're going to say - why don't you leave your Xbox One on all the time? Well, I haven't used it for a few months and frankly it sucks up energy and bandwidth even when it's in sleep mode. I like to have control of my consoles.

This situation also hammers home how useless physical media is on the Xbox One. On my PS4 I can usually cancel out of any updates or patches, and it'll run the game as is. One the Xbox, they will make your life absolutely miserable if you don't log in.

I really can't see myself buying another Microsoft console.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 24th, 2021, 7:05 pm

Thought I was ready to play. Then it said I needed to install 40+GB worth of updates. Sigh.

I'm sorry people, there is no excuse for this.

SuperiorShark

Postby SuperiorShark » May 24th, 2021, 9:41 pm

The way things are trending at Microsoft, I really wonder if the Series X might be their last home console. They seem really dead set on making Xbox Game Pass or whatever their big thing moving forward. I'm not sure how it will work but future Xbox gamers might just stream all their games. Maybe we've still got a bit of a ways to get there but yeah the Xbox brand is not what it once was.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 25th, 2021, 8:18 pm

Publicity like this certainly doesn't help.

https://games.slashdot.org/story/21/05/ ... es-offline

Quantum Break is pretty good so far! I'll post more in the Now Playing thread.

Return to “Modern Gaming”