Elden Ring

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
DaHeckIzDat

Elden Ring

Postby DaHeckIzDat » June 10th, 2021, 6:51 pm

Finally...nearly two years after it was first announced...we finally get a real look at Elden Ring! *cue crazy spastic nerd freakout*
https://youtu.be/E3Huy2cdih0

For those who don't know, Elden Ring is being developed by FromSoftware, the makers of Dark Souls, with a story written by George RR Martin, author of the A Song of Ice and Fire books.

JustLikeHeaven

Re: Elden Ring

Postby JustLikeHeaven » June 11th, 2021, 1:24 pm

I don't want to this to come across as overly negative...but has there ever been a collaboration between a a famous person/celebrity and a videogame that's been amazing?

I remember Clive Barker's Undying being decent on the PC back in the 90s. His other game Jericho wasn't well received. Guillermo Del Toro has been trying to do something in the videogame realm for like a decade and that's never come to fruition.

Steven Spielberg did Boom Blox which was actually pretty damn fun.

I dunno...I'm interested because I think From Software is a helluva team...but I'm worried because of Martin's involvement lol.

Hopefully, it turns out fine!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 11th, 2021, 5:21 pm

I'm *trying* to review an old Atari XE game called Dragonriders of Pern, based on the fantasy series by Anne McCaffrey, and let me tell you, it's some rough sledding!

Hopefully I can manage to crank out half-hearted review just to put it to rest!

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » June 11th, 2021, 6:07 pm

JustLikeHeaven wrote: has there ever been a collaboration between a a famous person/celebrity and a videogame that's been amazing?

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning would like a word with you.
JustLikeHeaven wrote: Guillermo Del Toro has been trying to do something in the videogame realm for like a decade and that's never come to fruition.

He was in Death Stranding.

noah98

Postby noah98 » June 12th, 2021, 6:18 am

DaHeckIzDat wrote:
JustLikeHeaven wrote: has there ever been a collaboration between a a famous person/celebrity and a videogame that's been amazing?

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning would like a word with you.
JustLikeHeaven wrote: Guillermo Del Toro has been trying to do something in the videogame realm for like a decade and that's never come to fruition.

I agree, Kingdoms of Amalur was amazing!

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » June 12th, 2021, 11:54 am

I live in Rhode Island. Kingdoms of Amalur and 38 Studios is still a touchy subject all these years later. I realize Reckoning was developed by Big Huge Games in Maryland, but 38 Studios and Curt Schilling were the parent company. I'm probably still paying tax dollars for the incredible implosion of that company!

As a resident eager to support any sort of large scale videogame company in our tiny ass state, I eagerly purchased Reckoning. I sunk countless hours into the game before tedium set in, and the buggy coding tested my patience. It's a decent game, but I tried to go back and play it not too long ago and found it's flaws unbearable. The combat is really the only interesting design choice. Everything else seems like a rip-off from something better.

It's an underdog game that is championed as a hidden gem all these years later. I can't fault anyone for digging it. I wanted nothing more than for the game to be a runaway success. I think in 2021 it's mediocre. I'd love for THQ Nordic to invest in a full fledged sequel that takes the skeleton of the first game and turns it into something special.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » June 12th, 2021, 12:02 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:

I was thinking more of a game that he produced or wrote. He had that survival horror game "Insane" that was cancelled. Same thing happened with P.T.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » June 12th, 2021, 10:21 pm

JustLikeHeaven wrote:I don't want to this to come across as overly negative...but has there ever been a collaboration between a a famous person/celebrity and a videogame that's been amazing?

Vin Diesel - Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay

Though, I don't think the author of the Song of Ice and Fire series is a celebrity.

Teej

Postby Teej » June 13th, 2021, 8:39 am

JustLikeHeaven wrote:I don't want to this to come across as overly negative...but has there ever been a collaboration between a a famous person/celebrity and a videogame that's been amazing?

I remember Clive Barker's Undying being decent on the PC back in the 90s. His other game Jericho wasn't well received. Guillermo Del Toro has been trying to do something in the videogame realm for like a decade and that's never come to fruition.

Steven Spielberg did Boom Blox which was actually pretty damn fun.

I dunno...I'm interested because I think From Software is a helluva team...but I'm worried because of Martin's involvement lol.

Hopefully, it turns out fine!

How about John Madden Football? His involvement in the early installments certainly went far beyond just lending his name.

Crummylion

Postby Crummylion » June 14th, 2021, 3:04 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:

Well him and some of Kojima's other Hollywood and game industry friends. Most of them were just models though and didn't even do their own voices.
P.T./Silent Hills was essentially the final nail in the coffin for Del Toro in game dev after Konami canned it and his cursed history with games to boot.

On the topic of other writers/celebrities/film makers working on games, the game adaption I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream is pretty fascinating because it's essentially one of the first "anti-games," where you have to defy typical gaming conventions and, as Harlan Ellison said, there's no winning, only losing as little as possible based on how nobly you played.

Also, I don't think anybody knew who Josef Fares was before his excursion on the Games Award that one time, I know I never seen or heard of his films, but Brothers A Tale of Two Sons and A Way Out were amazing games. The man had to cancel films he was in the middle of producing just to dedicate more time to game development.

Return to “Modern Gaming”