E3 2021

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
ActRaiser

E3 2021

Postby ActRaiser » June 15th, 2021, 2:34 pm

Has anyone watched the E3 shows? They are all online this year.

I watched Microsoft's Sunday night and wrapped up watching Nintendo's earlier today.

Nintendo has a new 2D Metroid coming this fall that looks like it would be fun. Zelda Skyward Sword HD is coming in July. Breath of the Wild 2 will be coming in 2022. It appears to have added a couple of new gameplay options. The video shows you turning into some form of slime and passing through rock. It could make for some interesting puzzle options. I think Advance Wars 1&2 coming out on the Switch may have been my favorite new game announced (even if it is a remake).

The Microsoft show was better if only due to its exclusives after buying Bethesda. Halo Infinite is a toss up. The multiplayer gameplay looked good but there was no demo or gameplay shown of LAN or splitscreen gaming. The core gameplay loop looked solid and it returned back to the Halo 3 use of equipment to mix things up in maps. It felt like a good step in the right direction after Halo 4 and Guardians faltered so much.

What were your thoughts?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: E3 2021

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 15th, 2021, 5:02 pm

Thanks for posting this thread Actraiser.
I never follow E3 very closely, but would love to her people's take on the various announcements.

Halo Infinite?? Who in the hell would name a game something that stupid??! Oh yeah - Microsoft. Say no more!

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » June 15th, 2021, 6:50 pm

I actually went to an E3 event when it was in Atlanta. Late 1990s. It was a mind-blowing event. I hope it is still that way.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » June 15th, 2021, 7:43 pm

A big dud for the most part. Only a few announcements I've highlighted below managed to catch my attention.

-Metroid Dread
    -Zelda Game & Watch product announcement
    -Breath of the Wild 2 trailer
    -Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water being rereleased on current platforms
    -Taito Milestone arcade collection
    -Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 releasing in a few weeks on Series X/S
    -Forza Horizon 5 announced and will be cross-gen (So lowly Xbox One owners like myself can still play it)

Didn't even get to learn about the upcoming additions to Capcom Arcade Stadium. I thought announcing the arcade classics set to be added to it while simultaneously making them available on digital storefronts, would be perfect for their E3 stream. But Capcom has other plans so I guess we'll have to wait a while longer.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » June 16th, 2021, 8:44 am

Not sure I am even looking forward to Breath of the Wild 2 anymore. Seems more of the same with Skyward Sword thrown in.

Shin Megami Tensei V looks interesting.

I am definitely down for Metroid though not been exited about a new release since... S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 at the same event :lol: .

Xbox winner of E3 between two consoles.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » June 16th, 2021, 6:25 pm

Just Metroid for me, even though I get the sinking feeling it'll be a dud. Truth be told, I never cared for Fusion out of the 2D series. Loved all the others (the OG is my all-time favorite game) and Zero Mission. Didn't care for the Prime games much, outside of their outstanding environmental design. I don't give a rip about an upcoming Prime 4, but I'll give Dread a try, with mild expectations.

Outside of that single game... yeah. Nothing else caught my eye.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » June 17th, 2021, 7:23 am

matmico399 wrote:I actually went to an E3 event when it was in Atlanta. Late 1990s. It was a mind-blowing event. I hope it is still that way.

That's very cool! As a kid I always dreamed of going to E3 one day due in giant part to EGM showing how much fun it looked. With the pandemic no more E3 but at least we got some news. It's a shame Sony didn't participate.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » June 17th, 2021, 1:45 pm

Other than Metroid Dread (which looks to use an upgraded version of the Metroid Samus Returns (3DS) engine with new game play elements) and Breath of the Wild 2 (coming in 20XX!), nothing earthshattering was announced for me this E3. The Pokemon Gen 4 Switch remakes were already announced for this fall, Evercade has revealed their hand already, and can't say I'm shocked that the "Super Switch" is not unveiled yet.

To be honest, I forget the Playstation 5 exists... - I don't frequent as many shops that carry games as I used to, and the one I do frequent rarely has any other than what their regulars order specifically for.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » June 17th, 2021, 1:53 pm

It's funny...I'm more out of touch with modern gaming news than ever before. Yet, I easily play more videogames than I have in a long, long time. Honestly, the limited run stream was the thing I anticipated most. The indie games are the life blood of the industry for me. So many wildly creative games getting made by small ambitious teams. I'm just grateful that most of the best games tend to get physical releases at some point.

Anyways, I checked out Nintendo's conference.

Metroid Dread - Best thing to happen to Metroid since Fusion. I'll be happy if the main series continues on in this fashion.

BotW 2 - I think Breath of the Wild was one of the best open world games to come out in forever. That being said, it was a deeply flawed game for me and hope they address a few things in this sequel.

Shin Megami Tensei V - Very excited for this. I'm hoping this breaks out in a big way like Persona 5 did.

Mario Party - Never liked these games and this doesn't look like it will change my mind.

Warioware - LOVED the old WW games. I'm always down for more Wario.

Advanced Wars Remake - It's nice to know that Nintendo can revisit their older stuff and see if it has a place with modern audiences. Still, I'd much rather have the 3 Mother games instead...just saying.

Two Point Campus - I played a ton of PC games in the 90s and Bullfrog was hands down my favorite developer. Theme Park and Theme Hospital hold a special place in my heart. Two Point Campus is the second game from Two Point Games (a bunch of ex Bullfrog employees). Their first was a spiritual successor to Theme Hospital named, Two Point Hospital. Fans of tycoon/simulation style games should take note of this company. They're doing some excellent stuff. If they ever get around to making a Dungeon Keeper style game I'll be a happy fella.

Cruis'n Blast - So weird to see this long dead franchise rise from the grave. I'm all for arcade racing mayhem.

Danganronpa - I've always wanted to try these weird ass Vita games. They were released on the PS4, but are out of print and expensive. I'll be happy to have them all on the Switch.

Fatal Frame - No game left behind...that seems to be the motto of everything that was released on the Wii U. At this point I just need that Wind Waker HD remake and I'll never need to track down a Wii U.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » June 17th, 2021, 2:23 pm

Oh yeah, forgot about the Advance Wars remix... as much as I like those games, not a fan of the 3D art...

Crusin looks interesting, though Inhave a high nostalgic bias for Crusin USA

Wario Ware was great, though the little I have seen of the new one makes me think more multiayer gimmicks are involved than single player modes...

Return to “Modern Gaming”