Thrust lander on the new Atari VCS

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
BlasteroidAli

Thrust lander on the new Atari VCS

Postby BlasteroidAli » July 20th, 2021, 12:33 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFuvtJkEoFU

Here is the developer talking about the game and showing the game play. It is coming out on PC and I am playing the very hard Solar Jetman Nes/Xbox 1 to get ready for it coming out.

Incidentally it is rumoured that a C64 version of Solar Jetman exists. I have searched online and it does indeed exist. This is for the C64 Critic if he reads this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGKkb2lx45c&ab_channel=hellfire64

BlasteroidAli

Re: Thrust lander on the new Atari VCS

Postby BlasteroidAli » October 2nd, 2021, 7:22 am

Well I am a games tester for this on PC. Early impressions it is very good, if you like Gravitar. Also has a retro mode which is perfect. It feels like the game Gravatar 2600 should have been. The centre of gravity is just right. The thrust is a bit odd but it has the sound effects of the 2600 version, albeit with a polyphonic tune playing in the background.

I can see why it would be one of the better games on the VCS. Unique and has an Atari feel to it. Also it has so many options. A 128 different maps to master. Easy to impossible difficulties and it is not easy on easy. 128 different retro game maps. A speed run option. It is like if you want to get only one game on the new Atari VCS this would be it. Though at £400 for one I am not sure how many Atari VCS's are going to be sold.

Also this would be the perfect game for the new Amico. Not too taxing in the graphical department. A very challenging game as well. Though I do feel that the Amico control might not be sharp enough for it.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » November 17th, 2021, 8:30 pm

Okay after 6 weeks of game testing.

I have beaten the game. 128 levels. I have beaten it and I am not bored with it.
You need to spend a lot of time just learning how to fly the ship. It is just a great game.

You can upgrade the weapons, the ships, the drones. The drones are there to help you out. They have functions, show down missiles, repair shoot down mines. That is the thing each time you change the game it becomes easier but also plays differently. The progression system is just fantastic.

There are three modes. Retro which is just like playing the VCS. Very hard but rewarding. Then there is the race sections where you can fly your ship around the map. Lastly there is the normal mode. There are 4 levels of difficulty and cruel is cruel. Normal is pretty forgiving. Fly around the gravitar like mazes, shooting turrets mines and floating sentries. Also my nemesis, the laser gates. They take a lot of skill to master. Sometimes you just have to hover to get through them whilst trying to shoot enemies.

It is better than it has any right to be. Rating A plus.

Just imagine you play Solar Jet man without the really torturous difficulty. This is just that game.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » November 18th, 2021, 7:01 pm

Good job!

Return to “Modern Gaming”