Song of Horror -old style survival horror with a modern twist

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
DaHeckIzDat

Song of Horror -old style survival horror with a modern twist

Postby DaHeckIzDat » July 21st, 2021, 11:16 am

Song of Horror is a new(ish), download only survival horror game I just discovered. It takes the gameplay tropes of something like classic Resident Evil or Silent Hill (tank controls, fixed camera, etc) but combines them with a more modern twist that I find intriguing.

You are exploring a creepy dark mansion that's being haunted by a dark spirit called The Presence, trying to unravel the mystery of the mansion's owner, a cursed music box, and the monster that's taken over. But here's the twist: there are 16 playable characters, and each of them have their own characteristics and backstory — not in a gameplay sense (at least I don't think so) but in a story sense. Each has their own relationship with the mansion's owner, which means that some of them will know things that others don't, meaning that their investigations will turn up different clues than the others. Death is permanent, so losing one character forces you to continue as another, and whatever you've done as the previous character carries over to the next, potentially affecting what they are able to do, see, or discover.

I've never found a game that could scare me, and I don't really expect this one to either. But if the story is good and the gameplay is fun, I'll still enjoy it. I'll probably wait until it drops a little in price, though.

What about you guys? Has anyone played this?

Return to “Modern Gaming”