10 Million PS5 consoles sold??

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

10 Million PS5 consoles sold??

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 29th, 2021, 5:07 pm

Can someone explain to me how Sony has managed to sell 10 million PS5 without having any on store shelves, or available on the internet for retail price?

https://games.slashdot.org/story/21/07/ ... 5-consoles

DrLitch

Re: 10 Million PS5 consoles sold??

Postby DrLitch » July 30th, 2021, 7:39 am

Sales figures will also include scalpers purchasing, with many PS5's in warehouses or storage facilities waiting to sell. I do not think that number necessarily reflects the number of PS5's in living rooms.

txsizzler

Postby txsizzler » July 30th, 2021, 8:20 am

DrLitch wrote:Sales figures will also include scalpers purchasing, with many PS5's in warehouses or storage facilities waiting to sell. I do not think that number necessarily reflects the number of PS5's in living rooms.

Agreed. I think the Sony number is a broader look, and not what we normally consider the amount of consoles in people's homes.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » July 30th, 2021, 4:49 pm

Have Sony release their PS5 software sales numbers.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » August 1st, 2021, 2:46 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Can someone explain to me how Sony has managed to sell 10 million PS5 without having any on store shelves, or available on the internet for retail price?

https://games.slashdot.org/story/21/07/ ... 5-consoles

Depends on how the data used for the statistic defines sold; are these units that sold thru to customers, or units produced and "sold" to the stores/sites for purchase?

For an example, during the Sega Saturn launch in both Japan and US, Sega relied and published sales data that used units sold to retailers instead of data that reflected units bought by consumers.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 8th, 2021, 5:52 pm

I read an article about some school kid who uses "bots" to snatch up every PS5 he can get online, so he can resell them.

I'm not a fan of the kid, but I blame the system that even allows this to occur. When I go to certain web sites I have to prove I am "not a robot". Why can't they use that technology?

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » October 8th, 2021, 6:33 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I read an article about some school kid who uses "bots" to snatch up every PS5 he can get online, so he can resell them.

I'm not a fan of the kid, but I blame the system that even allows this to occur. When I go to certain web sites I have to prove I am "not a robot". Why can't they use that technology?

Who says they are not?

Most sites that I buy from these days requires the IAm Human check, and those that don't allow for 2-step verification to authenticate.

I do have to ask if this kid is sending the units to the same location, as that should be noticed/caught and raise eyebrows for possible theft/fraud

Return to “Modern Gaming”