Knights of the Old Republic remake on PS5 and PC

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
m0zart

Knights of the Old Republic remake on PS5 and PC

Postby m0zart » September 21st, 2021, 4:33 pm

So, being so out of touch with gaming lately, I was surprised ... no, shocked ... to see that one of my favorite games of all time, KOTOR, a game I still play regularly today on my iPad, is being remade and modernized and released on PC and as a console exclusive for the PS5.

How do you guys feel about this? Personally, I'm actually contemplating buying a PS5, something I thought I wouldn't have a reason to do.

ActRaiser

Re: Knights of the Old Republic remake on PS5 and PC

Postby ActRaiser » September 21st, 2021, 4:57 pm

I'm cool with it. That was such a great game back in the day on the original Xbox. The trailer leads me to think this was merely an announcement and they don't have anything real to go off of development wise. If that's the case it's probably going to be awhile before it's released.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 24th, 2021, 1:43 am

Thanks for the heads up- I hadn’t heard this either. I’m interested for sure. I’m not a Star Wars “fan” - I enjoy the movies, but the Star Wars label doesn’t sell something for me. But KOTOR always interested me because of what I read about the gameplay and story. I bought the KOTOR games for Xbox but I’ve never played them. I’ve considered it, but there’s too much backlog and it’s hard to commit to playing a lengthy game on an old system.

But if it came out on the PS5, making that commitment would be easier. Assuming of course that the game still held up and was worth the time investment. I know it was considered a great game back in the day, but I wonder if it could have the same impact today, and it takes a lot of hours to find out.

m0zart

Postby m0zart » September 27th, 2021, 2:33 pm

Retro STrife wrote:Thanks for the heads up- I hadn’t heard this either. I’m interested for sure. I’m not a Star Wars “fan” - I enjoy the movies, but the Star Wars label doesn’t sell something for me. But KOTOR always interested me because of what I read about the gameplay and story. I bought the KOTOR games for Xbox but I’ve never played them. I’ve considered it, but there’s too much backlog and it’s hard to commit to playing a lengthy game on an old system.

But if it came out on the PS5, making that commitment would be easier. Assuming of course that the game still held up and was worth the time investment. I know it was considered a great game back in the day, but I wonder if it could have the same impact today, and it takes a lot of hours to find out.

The old one is available ported almost anywhere. It's on iPhone, Android, iPad, and is even coming to the Switch in November. It's also still a great game to play. It's better in such versions than on the XBOX because of the updated resolution, the restoration of aesthetic elements in the PC version which were removed from the XBOX version, and the extremely useful add-on location comes added by default.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » September 27th, 2021, 3:18 pm

m0zart wrote:
Retro STrife wrote:Thanks for the heads up- I hadn’t heard this either. I’m interested for sure. I’m not a Star Wars “fan” - I enjoy the movies, but the Star Wars label doesn’t sell something for me. But KOTOR always interested me because of what I read about the gameplay and story. I bought the KOTOR games for Xbox but I’ve never played them. I’ve considered it, but there’s too much backlog and it’s hard to commit to playing a lengthy game on an old system.

The old one is available ported almost anywhere. It's on iPhone, Android, iPad, and is even coming to the Switch in November. It's also still a great game to play. It's better in such versions than on the XBOX because of the updated resolution, the restoration of aesthetic elements in the PC version which were removed from the XBOX version, and the extremely useful add-on location comes added by default.

Here's hoping they also do a rerelease of the sequel, with about 200% less bugs and game killing glitches (thanks, Xbox...)

m0zart

Postby m0zart » September 29th, 2021, 12:55 am

MSR1701 wrote:Here's hoping they also do a rerelease of the sequel, with about 200% less bugs and game killing glitches (thanks, Xbox...)

It was re-released on iPad recently. It seemed much improved, though I haven't gotten through much of it yet. I think seeing if the problems on Dantooine are corrected will tell me what to expect from the rest of the game.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » November 1st, 2021, 4:08 pm

m0zart wrote:
MSR1701 wrote:Here's hoping they also do a rerelease of the sequel, with about 200% less bugs and game killing glitches (thanks, Xbox...)

It was re-released on iPad recently. It seemed much improved, though I haven't gotten through much of it yet. I think seeing if the problems on Dantooine are corrected will tell me what to expect from the rest of the game.

OK, it makes me feel better that you specifically mentioned Dantooine having issues. I lost count how many times I completely gave up playing on the original XBox on THAT area due to glitches, crashes, and other anomalies that are best left unsubscribed...

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » November 17th, 2021, 1:41 pm

Have been playing the Switch release this past week, and WOW, I never realized how many assets in KotOR II were from this game...

Very fun and mostly bug free; I have had one random game crash to Switch Menu, otherwise no issues for over twenty hours of play (not counting reloads from both choice checks and me just being stupid (hey, let's fight the obviously powerful Bounty Hunter, what could go wrong?? (is One-Shotted))

Return to “Modern Gaming”