PS4 patch fixes kill switch

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

PS4 patch fixes kill switch

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 30th, 2021, 8:08 pm

Looks like Sony (trying to keep a low profile) quietly released an update that will prevent your PS4 from becoming a paperweight in the future.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/09/ ... ll-switch/

What makes me mad is that this was a thing in the first place.

Atariboy

Re: PS4 patch fixes kill switch

Postby Atariboy » October 1st, 2021, 6:34 am

Alas, it's still present on the Playstation 3. The only consolation is the issue will only kill digital downloads on the PS3, unlike on the PS4 where everything would cease to function when the CMOS battery died after PSN support ceases.

Would be nice to see Sony fix that as well, given that they still issue PS3 firmware updates once in a blue moon. Wouldn't have a prayer of being fixed if OS updates had ceased years ago, but little excuse for not fixing it when they just issued an OS update on June 1st of this year (v4.88).

SuperiorShark

Postby SuperiorShark » October 1st, 2021, 10:05 pm

Wow, I didn't even know about this. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. The thought that I could spend 500 dollars for this thing and then have it become nothing more than a doorstop is honestly infuriating. Why do people put up with this crap?

bluenote

Postby bluenote » October 3rd, 2021, 7:59 pm

But, they fixed it. What's the issue? They discovered there is an issue, heard peoples feedback and corrected the issue. Isn't this exactly what we would want a company to do?

Return to “Modern Gaming”