Metroid Dread Special Edition?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Metroid Dread Special Edition?

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 8th, 2021, 4:51 pm

So for $180 you get the game, a book, and some cards?? Am I missing something??

https://www.amazon.com/Metroid-Dread-Sp ... r=8-4&th=1

For that much I would almost expect a console to come with it.

snakeboy

Re: Metroid Dread Special Edition?

Postby snakeboy » October 8th, 2021, 5:19 pm

This is a 3rd party seller trying to rip you off. I think MSRP is $90.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 8th, 2021, 5:49 pm

It's really crappy that Amazon would allow these type of business practices.

From glancing at the screen you can't even tell it's from a third-party seller!

Is this the reason why we can't get PS5's for MSRP?

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » October 8th, 2021, 8:46 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Is this the reason why we can't get PS5's for MSRP?

Yup. Scalpers have become a real nuisance in recent years:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gaming ... 2.amp.html

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » October 8th, 2021, 9:22 pm

Try going to a store, in-person. I managed to pick up a special edition of the game at my nearest Best Buy this morning, right before noon. They probably had close to 20 in stock on an endcap at the front of the games section.

In addition to all the goodies you already listed in your first post, Critic, you also get a steelbook case for the game. Best Buy also gave me a sheet of Metroid-themed decals when I bought the game, though I don't see myself actually using any of them.

Failing that, the Wal-Mart stores near me always sell new release games for at least $10 off MSRP. They had Dread there today for $49, though I didn't see any special editions. Fred Meyer had a spot on the shelf in their electronics section where the special edition would go, but it was empty. The clerk at the counter said they only got three, and sold them all that morning.

All three stores had plenty of the new OLED Switch console in stock, for what that's worth.

I had some errands to run today. Cantcha tell?? :P

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » October 8th, 2021, 10:08 pm

Matchstick wrote:All three stores had plenty of the new OLED Switch console in stock, for what that's worth.

I went to Gamestop to pick up the new Metroid. Turns out they had some stock of the OLED console. Guy behind the counter told me they would take my Switch trade in at $260 and deduct the difference off the new OLED Switch. So ended up getting new game plus new console. Yeah cost me $90 extra plus tax but it is always nice to have a new plaything. I doubt I could have sold my old Switch for $260 on eBay and I have no idea how Gamestop are going to turn profit on it.

Matchstick wrote:I had some errands to run today. Cantcha tell?? :P

It was my day off, rare as it is, and my wife made me do errands. On the plus side, picked up a console, game, and had lunch at Five Guys. On the other hand, Walmart shopping, CVS visit, and a trip to AT&T store to pick up something for her phone. All in a good days work ;)

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » October 8th, 2021, 10:45 pm

DrLitch wrote:It was my day off, rare as it is, and my wife made me do errands. On the plus side, picked up a console, game, and had lunch at Five Guys. On the other hand, Walmart shopping, CVS visit, and a trip to AT&T store to pick up something for her phone. All in a good days work ;)

Sounds like a great time, Litch. Like you, I was also running errands for the wife. No lunch at Five Guys for me, though. Maybe I'll do something about that tomorrow...

Nice pickup on the new Switch, too! I won't lie, I was tempted while looking at the new models. But, honestly, I rarely play in handheld mode. And when I do, I think the screen looks really nice as it is. I'm sure the OLED model blows it out of the water in comparison. I'm glad you got a new toy, and I'm happy for everyone else that's picking one up, too. Some people out there seem most excited about the wired ethernet port on the new dock. Funny how that's considered a luxury now...

Back to Metroid, I played the game for about an hour or two once I got back, but had to stop due to, of all things, motion sickness! It's a very, very smooth game, and Samus has some of the most fluid animation I have ever seen for a player-controlled character. But man, the way the screen bobs and weaves around to follow the action just left me all shook up inside.

I'm going to give it another go tomorrow - after Five Guys - and aim for a shorter play session. Thankfully, save states are plentiful. But if it makes me motion sick every time I play it... hm. That's certainly going to put a damper on my enjoyment.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » October 8th, 2021, 10:58 pm

Matchstick wrote:I'm going to give it another go tomorrow - after Five Guys - and aim for a shorter play session. Thankfully, save states are plentiful. But if it makes me motion sick every time I play it... hm. That's certainly going to put a damper on my enjoyment.

Make sure you get a small fries, seriously, I barely made it through them they are so generous with portions. I have no idea what small medium or large means anymore. DQ the same, medium cone and small are about the same to me and large not too different either. BTW - get the fries with Cajun seasoning if you have not tried them :P

Look forward to your thoughts on Metroid as they develop. I had a filling last week and I am sure my dentist drilled into nerve. Got a chronic throb so might not play until I am not distracted by this tooth. Looks like a Root Canal inbound. Even if insurance picks up 50%, it is going to leave a hole in my pocket. Could get the tooth pulled for $100 but there are cons to that.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » October 9th, 2021, 4:13 pm

DrLitch wrote:Make sure you get a small fries, seriously... BTW - get the fries with Cajun seasoning if you have not tried them :P

Ten-Four, Litch! I agree with your consensus on the small fries, too. I never get a larger size, and always have tons left over in the bottom of the bag.

I might PM you later, as I'm having a blast chatting with you, but I don't want to get too far off topic here.

One more thing about the special edition - it's kinda huge. Like, the size of a classic encyclopedia volume. Let me see if I can find a decent photo comparing it to a normal Switch case...
(Not my photo. This one came from NintendoLife.)

I don't buy many special editions, but I wasn't expecting this one to be much bigger than a standard DVD case or so. Let's just say that's not the "case" here - it's positively massive!! If you're planning on picking one up, you might want to make sure you have a decent spot to store or display it first.

Let's just say my initial excitement wore off once I got it home and realized I don't have anywhere to put it...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 10th, 2021, 12:04 pm

Why is this thing so big? Is it because of the book? And why do you need "art cards" if you have an art book??

Personally I've never seen the allure of steel cases. They don't match with the other games on your shelf!

Return to “Modern Gaming”