Any PS5 or Xbox One Series game reviews coming?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Alucard1191

Re: Any PS5 or Xbox One Series game reviews coming?

Postby Alucard1191 » November 4th, 2021, 2:14 pm

Well said Matchstick, with an immediate "Yeah, that's right." That's really funny.

I honestly don't have much interest in the modern systems. Still plenty of stuff in my retro collection and on my switch to play. I mean... there are so many SNES and PS/Saturn era RPGs on my 'to play' list that those alone would keep me occupied for a long time.

And I of course like other genres too, so I split my rather limited gaming time across multiple platforms and genres. Playing 30-40 minutes of an RPG here, 20 minutes of a racing game there. Adding a new system to that just doesn't seem like a great idea. Doing things like modding my Genesis Mini or figuring out how to do emulation things for the Saturn and PS is a much better investment for me personally.

Then again, things like the RE remakes make me want to rethink all this, lol.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » November 6th, 2021, 7:42 pm

Graphics.

Load times.

Credit to Digital Foundry for the analysis.

If neither one of these is a compelling reason to upgrade, and you don't mind the uneven frame rates of the PS4/XboxOne, you aren't missing much at the moment. Every list of the top titles still includes games that are cross platform with the previous generation.

My picks for the best exclusives to show off the hardware would be Microsoft Flight Simulator, which contains a model of the entire planet, and Rift Apart, which almost looks like a movie, and makes the most of the faster loading. (While using a few old school tricks to hide what remains.)

Also, Astro's Playroom is supposed to be a really good pack-in title, even if it's a bit short.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » November 6th, 2021, 8:27 pm

Halo infinite is due out next month. I am interested in that. Though it is gonna be on pc and Xbox so I do not need to get an Xbox series S or Series X to play it. Not sure about the ps5 but currently there is nothing to tempt me into getting an X or a S.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » November 6th, 2021, 8:34 pm

Remind me, is the new/advanced Xbox the Xbox One X, the Xbox One S, Xbox Series S, or..?

Not trying to be ugly, but Microsoft's naming scheme is confusing to me

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 6th, 2021, 9:02 pm

MSR1701 wrote:Remind me, is the new/advanced Xbox the Xbox One X, the Xbox One S, Xbox Series S, or..?

From most powerful to least powerful.
Xbox Series X
Xbox Series S
Xbox One X
Xbox One S
Xbox One

To confuse matters even more there's some debate about last gen games on the Series S vs Xbox One X due to it having more RAM than the Series S. But as a whole the Series S is more powerful.

MS has had terrible names since the original Xbox. That was the last good name for their consoles.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » November 6th, 2021, 9:11 pm

ActRaiser wrote:
MSR1701 wrote:Remind me, is the new/advanced Xbox the Xbox One X, the Xbox One S, Xbox Series S, or..?

From most powerful to least powerful.
Xbox Series X
Xbox Series S
Xbox One X
Xbox One S
Xbox One

To confuse matters even more there's some debate about last gen games on the Series S vs Xbox One X due to it having more RAM than the Series S. But as a whole the Series S is more powerful.

MS has had terrible names since the original Xbox. That was the last good name for their consoles.

And here I thought the XB360 with Harddrive and XB360 Arcade was confusing enough...

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » November 8th, 2021, 9:40 am

I still ‘owe’ my 13 year old son an XBox Series X-47Qw17# from last Christmas. I’ve checked online for a year now, checking a few times a week with no luck. I don’t think my son really cares at this point but for me it’s become a quest. I should add I’ve seen the system sold at Walmart through a third party…for $948. Pass.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » November 8th, 2021, 10:56 am

Remember when there was a significant leap with new consoles over the previous consoles?

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » November 19th, 2021, 11:20 am

MSR1701 wrote:Remember when there was a significant leap with new consoles over the previous consoles?

And those aren't even the most dramatic leaps.

ImageImage

Actual SNES framerate.

If you don't pause the PS1, and squint a little, it still holds up. On a small screen. (I had better comparisons, but not better gifs.)

So here's some context:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/11 ... ket-newtab

Long story short: We're long past Moore's law. And even small gains in graphics demand more raw horsepower than ever.

At the same time, there's more demand for high performance chips than ever.

In order to even justify a new console generation, the tech industry had to practically break itself. And now it's struggling to create these expensive super machines, which can only be appreciated by the most tech obsessed and performance demanding of audiences.

And still can't keep up with state of the art PCs.

So far, the best argument for them remains: this is what the PS4/XBoxOne should have been, in the first place.

And I have no idea how they're going to justify the next generation. Because a ridiculously unlikely best case scenario is: every reflection will finally obey real world physics.

Is that really a selling point?

What the industry hopes you're thinking: "C'mon! How am I supposed to suspend my disbelief when you're still cheating on the reflections inside the reflection!?"

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 19th, 2021, 12:54 pm

Until we get the Holodeck there's room for improvement.

I say that partly tongue in cheek and partly wanting to combine the experience of a full VR walking experience with today's graphics. A few years back I tried out the Avengers: Damage Control VR experience at the Mall of America. It was a fun experience. You strap on a backpack and put on a headset and your off with a few other teammates walking through an actual environment. You have a guide to help you avoid sucker punching too many people as you flail your arms through the experience. If we could get that same experience with something akin to Halo, now we're talking.

Return to “Modern Gaming”