Playdate system

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Playdate system

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 19th, 2022, 6:51 pm

I don't see this as going over very well. And if I'm not excited about a system it usually doesn't do very well.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/04/ ... ble-games/

Thoughts?

LoganRuckman

Re: Playdate system

Postby LoganRuckman » April 20th, 2022, 7:44 am

I honestly think it looks kinda cool, and in all honesty, it's meant entirely for a niche audience. It won't be a mainstream smash most likely, but it's not trying to be a mainstream smash hit. And I appreciate that the devs understand that it's for a highly specific audience and market it as such.

I don't really care for the price, but I'm still kinda digging what I'm seeing. Actually, funnily enough, this console has had literally the exact opposite effect on me as the Amico (and the Coleco Chameleon lol). Whereas I was very excited for the new Intellivision console at first but eventually lost all interest, I thought this thing was really stupid when I first heard about it, but it has grown on me ever since.

Voor

Postby Voor » April 20th, 2022, 11:54 am

Agreed, I watched a video reviewing the games, and a lot of them look like fun. And I like how the games are distributed by weeks and “seasons”. It’s a little overpriced, especially for having now backlight, and doesn’t look really all that comfortable, but it’s a cool unit for sure. Kudos for doing something different!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 25th, 2022, 9:01 pm

No backlight? Ummm 1992 called and they want their system back!

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » April 25th, 2022, 11:38 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I don't see this as going over very well.
And if I'm not excited about a system it usually doesn't do very well.
Ummm 1992 called and they want their system back!

Thoughts?

Being a little harsh, dontchathink?

It's a cute little gizmo. It's not meant to appeal to the dedicated, "hardcore" crowd. I don't know if there's a huge audience for this sort of thing, but unlike some other hardware that's been discussed on these boards (Intellivision Amico, for example) this is one product that has not been over-sold and under-delivered.

It's simple. It's little. It works, albeit with some first-gen kinks. The people that have one seem to enjoy it.

While I think it's a bit pricey for what it is, I see it as a toy. Nothing more. It reminds me a bit of all those Tiger handhelds from back in the day, although much more elaborate and functional. This seems ideal for small children or those first getting going in the gaming world - or for those of us who are a kid at heart.

Unfortunately, for that price, most parents would probably just go ahead and get their kids a Switch Lite. But if I were five or six, I would love this sort of gadget... even if the other kids on the bus saw it and made fun of me for it...

Voor wrote:Kudos for doing something different!

Indeed. If more companies were taking risks like this, I might actually bother to keep up with modern gaming.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » April 26th, 2022, 1:44 am

That screen's much easier to read than the reflective screens on a Gameboy.

If I hadn't seen it demonstrated in a DF Retro Direct, I wouldn't have believed it. Technology has advanced in 30 years? Bit of an understatement, really.

At any rate, it'll be good to have an option to play games in direct sunlight.

This will be my next console purchase. If I were still young enough to gamble with my future, I'd have already placed an order tonight.

If more companies were taking risks like this, I might actually bother to keep up with modern gaming.

Quoted for truth.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 26th, 2022, 9:09 am

Wait, this is a legit console? I thought it was a joke or meme (very serious).

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » April 26th, 2022, 9:42 am

It almost looks like a "Tamagotchi" for the 2020's. A little digital toy you keep with you and interact with from time to time here and there. Simple, straightforward, designed for a particular user base and not shooting for massive broad-market appeal. The big stopping point for me though is the price; at least the old Tamagotchi toys were cheap, which I'm sure had a lot to do with their popularity.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » April 26th, 2022, 12:09 pm

C64_Critic wrote:It almost looks like a "Tamagotchi" for the 2020's. A little digital toy you keep with you and interact with from time to time here and there. Simple, straightforward, designed for a particular user base and not shooting for massive broad-market appeal. The big stopping point for me though is the price; at least the old Tamagotchi toys were cheap, which I'm sure had a lot to do with their popularity.

It's closer to an original 80's Macintosh in portable game console form. With built in-paddle controls via handcrank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moKb3QoymdM

It's not for everyone. Just for those of us looking for something different, with a fairly passionate development community that's poured a lot of effort into the project.

It's been a welcome change of pace from all the stories of AAA companies grinding their employees into the dirt, and predatory free to play models.

Among all the other kinds of bad news out there.

Voor

Postby Voor » April 27th, 2022, 7:25 pm

I’m one of those people that think limitations foster creativity, so I’m excited to try some of the games.

Return to “Modern Gaming”