Minecraft vs Terraria

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
DaHeckIzDat

Minecraft vs Terraria

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 17th, 2022, 12:01 am

Out of curiosity, to anybody who's played both, do you like Minecraft or Terraria better?

On paper, both games sound very similar. They focus on mining and crafting in randomly generated worlds that are made up of clusters of individual blocks that can be broken down and rebuilt however the player wants. The most obvious difference is that Terraria is a side scroller while Minecraft has a fully 3D world. But under the surface, both games offer very different experiences.

Minecraft is more of a "do your own thing" game. There are a couple quests you can pursue, but if you choose to ignore them the game won't force them on you. The downside to that is that once you get bored exploring and building, there isn't much to keep you engaged

Terraria is more structured, with a series of tasks you need to complete to summon bosses to defeat, which in turn allows you to complete other tasks to summon more bosses. This helps keep players engaged, since they always know there's something else they can work toward. It's a lot more action focused too, and has a ton more options when it comes to weapons and armor than Minecraft has. You'll start off with swords and bows, but a few hours in you'll be crafting laser guns and jet packs! The downside is that there's less of an "art" scene in Terraria. While Minecraft is essentially a world made out of Lego where you can build anything you set your mind to, Terraria's construction systems serve their practical purpose and little else.

Personally, I like Terraria better because it strikes that balance of giving me a goal to work toward while letting me choose for myself how to do it. I love suiting up to take on the first boss, knowing that I'm there because I got myself there, not because the game gave me everything. Plus, the combat feels a lot better than in Minecraft, and your tools don't break after using them.

What about you guys?

BlasteroidAli

Re: Minecraft vs Terraria

Postby BlasteroidAli » May 17th, 2022, 11:43 am

Wow this sounds like the perfect idea for a game.. a match up of two titans!!! Like Sonic vs Mario.

Return to “Modern Gaming”