PS4 or PS5?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
matmico399

Re: PS4 or PS5?

Postby matmico399 » May 24th, 2022, 7:46 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Thanks guys. Now Brent is far more confused than he was in the first place! LOL
LOL

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » May 24th, 2022, 11:07 pm

The load times sound pretty atrocious on PS4, per Digital Foundry's Gran Turismo 7 video. Where GT7 is concerned, it's worth waiting on a PS5 and its super fast internal SSD drive for that alone in my opinion.

While I've not played GT7, the extremely sluggish menu navigation and long loading times of Gran Turismo 5 and 6 on the PS3 made it feel like one was spending as much time waiting for the game to load as they were behind the wheel. It really harmed the experience so I personally wouldn't compromise GT7 by trying to play it on a PS4.

I've not played my copy of GT Sport much on my PS4. I wonder if it's also guilty of super slow menu navigation (A huge issue in a game that's full of them) and very long loading screens when entering races?

Oddly, GT1-4 with the slow optical drives of the era still felt responsive when navigating menus and featured reasonable load times. Polyphony forgot all about how to optimize their games when the Playstation 3 rolled around and only the extreme speeds of the PS5's internal SSD drive saved them with GT7.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » May 24th, 2022, 11:32 pm

:idea:

How about Brent buys GT7 and tries it out on The Critic’s PS4? He can then judge for himself how well - or poorly - the game performs.

Then, of course, there’s always the possibility that the game might not be any good to begin with. If that’s the case, a little playtest at The Critic’s house could end up saving him hundreds of dollars by not buying a new console at all.

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » May 25th, 2022, 12:56 am

Matchstick wrote::idea:

How about Brent buys GT7 and tries it out on The Critic’s PS4? He can then judge for himself how well - or poorly - the game performs.

Then, of course, there’s always the possibility that the game might not be any good to begin with. If that’s the case, a little playtest at The Critic’s house could end up saving him hundreds of dollars by not buying a new console at all.

Unfortunately GT7 has seperate editions for PS4 and PS5. If he does enjoy it on PS4 he can upgrade to the PS5 for a $10 fee.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » May 25th, 2022, 2:40 pm

Atariboy wrote:...PS5 and its super fast internal SSD drive...

One could also install a solid-state drive into the PS4 or PS4 Pro.

Buttermancan wrote:If he does enjoy it on PS4 he can upgrade to the PS5 for a $10 fee

Which could be balanced out a bit by buying the PS4 version secondhand, or on sale.

(...hey, no one can say I'm not tryin', here :P )

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » May 25th, 2022, 8:33 pm

Matchstick wrote:
Atariboy wrote:...PS5 and its super fast internal SSD drive...

One could also install a solid-state drive into the PS4 or PS4 Pro.

That I'm sure helps, but I doubt it would yield comparable results. The highway the data is taking to and from the internal drive on the PS4 was built with slow speed traditional hard drives in mind. So I suspect it's going to limit at least to a degree the boost you'd get from installing a SSD drive internally on the PS4. Either way, it's something to keep in mind if one decides to play GT7 on a PS4.

But if you're buying a brand new console in 2022, I'd personally think the buyer would regret going with a PS4 instead of a PS5 all too soon. While the value of a PS5 purchase today is rather minimal over that of a PS4 (One reason I'm in no rush to upgrade), you're future proofing yourself going with the latest platform. We're probably about to the point where the XB1/PS4 market is going to enter a freefall.
Last edited by Atariboy on June 16th, 2022, 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » May 25th, 2022, 9:15 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Thanks guys. Now Brent is far more confused than he was in the first place! LOL

:lol: It is simple choice though - if he purchases a PS4, plays GT7 for a month or two, and then flips he has accomplished his goal and wont lose too much out of pocket. If he flips with a $50 loss, he can count the hourly rate he spent with GT7 and find it was cheap entertainment. Conversely, if he keeps the PS4 for a prolonged period of time and plays the odd game here and there and then decides to flip it in a year or two, he will end up with the equivalent of Ewaste (PS5 being back compatible with PS4 has made that console redundant as a keepsake or an item of value in future IMO).

If he gets a PS5, he has a device with some staying power for the forseeable future and one which offers an enormous library of PS4 games. The PS5 library is hardly immense insofar as content not available on PS4, but that will change. However, if he is not that into videogaming or modern videogaming, then get PS4, play GT a month or two, sell. Mission complete.

PS5 - 30fps vs 60fps vs 120fps... you have an option of choosing your graphics and frame rate settings. win win, some prefer a shiny coat of paint and low frame rates, some would take fuzzier textures or shorter draw distances for smoother frame rates, either way you have a choice where with the PS4 you are saddled with both graphics on low settings and a near slideshow framerate.

PS5's are no longer hard to get. Get on mail lists scalpers are no longer snapping up everything in less than a minute. I got my PS5 online. Got a message on my phone. Was at work all day, returned home hours later, checked the site, and still had stock. Ordered it. Out of stock later that evening. It can be done. Just wont find any on shelves in Walmart or Target.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 26th, 2022, 7:09 pm

By the way, this has a happy ending.
Brent's wife managed to score a PS5 from Sony direct! So all is well with the world.
Thanks to everyone who chimed in!

Return to “Modern Gaming”