I Don't Like Elden Ring

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
DaHeckIzDat

I Don't Like Elden Ring

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 29th, 2022, 12:35 am

It's been about three months since Elden Ring released, and after all this time I think I've come to a unpleasant realization.

I don't really like it.

As a huge fan of Dark Souls, and this essentially being Dark Souls with a much, much bigger scope, I was shocked by this. But frankly, I just don't think the open world sandbox design fits well with the mechanics that were ported over almost completely from Dark Souls. Dark Souls had a big world with plenty of places to explore, but its linearity meant that no matter where you went you'd always find something important. It was flexible, but focused at the same time. With a map as gigantic as Elden Ring's, you lose that. Sure, there are plenty of places to discover and things to do in Elden Ring, but they're separated by massive swaths of nothing. There are enemies to fight, yes, but without the masterfully crafted levels that Dark Souls placed them they're much less memorable.

Secondly, the boss fights are way too hard. Dark Souls has always been challenging, but there's a line where difficulty stops being fun and starts feeling like the developers are screwing with you. The bosses in Elden Ring are designed to be as unfair as possible. Dodging doesn't work like it should because bosses will make a complete 180 degree turn so that the attack still hits you. Even if you manage to get out of the way, you'll often have to dodge five or six more times because bosses never just attack once--they will juggle you with combos that would make a Street Fighter champion envious. Margit, the first story boss most players will run into, is as hard as most late game Dark Souls bosses.

And on top of that, some bosses are so confusingly built that following their movements to recognize their patterns is nearly impossible. Godrick (the second story boss you'll encounter) in particular is guilty of this, and the fact that he can attack fron any angle means you can't damage him without being taking damage yourself.

Elden Ring isn't a bad game, but it has the misfortune of having to be compared to the games that came before it. There's still fun to be had, it's just buried under too much poor design to be worth digging up for most people. I'm definitely not done playing it, but it's never going to hold a special place for me like Dark Souls does.

Buttermancan

Re: I Don't Like Elden Ring

Postby Buttermancan » May 29th, 2022, 6:47 am

Interesting. I picked up Elden Ring last week but haven't played it yet. I also want to try Demon Souls Remastered for the PS5 at some point. I've heard many people say that in Elden Ring you can choose your battles and come back to a boss when you're more levelled up. Did you not find that to be the case?

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 29th, 2022, 9:03 am

Buttermancan wrote:Interesting. I picked up Elden Ring last week but haven't played it yet. I also want to try Demon Souls Remastered for the PS5 at some point. I've heard many people say that in Elden Ring you can choose your battles and come back to a boss when you're more levelled up. Did you not find that to be the case?

Yes that's how you're supposed to do it, but even when you grind levels the bosses are still extremely difficult. Also, grinding itself is annoying because the normal enemies give so little XP that it can take hours just to level up once.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » May 29th, 2022, 9:29 am

A review would be awesome! Controversial reviews are always fun (SNES F-Zero, anyone?), am I right?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 29th, 2022, 9:37 am

Yeah it's refreshing to hear an honest point of view. On the internet you tend to see a "herd" mentality, so it would be interesting to read an opinion that goes against the grain. Don't hold back!

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » May 29th, 2022, 12:43 pm

Haven't played it, but none of my friends have had this kind of trouble with it; I've watched them beat it several times. Maybe you need to git gud.

Voor

Postby Voor » May 29th, 2022, 2:24 pm

Yeah I thought the general consensus was that this was the most accessible Souls game yet. I haven’t played it but have watched a lot of streams and it looks great. The “instant horse” is a well thought out design in terms of travel. I got really tired of BOTW’s “stamina wheel” during my play through (and breakable weapons).

I wonder if you have a very particular way of playing and need to be more flexible? Can’t you summon NPCs to help you out (for those tougher bosses)?

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 29th, 2022, 2:49 pm

Stalvern wrote:Haven't played it, but none of my friends have had this kind of trouble with it; I've watched them beat it several times. Maybe you need to git gud.

Between Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2, Scholar of the First Sin, Dark Souls 3, and Bloodborne, I've gitted gud five times. Elden Ring takes those same mechanics but then changes how the game works, so that people who were good at other Souls games will lose just like the people who have never played them at all.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » May 29th, 2022, 3:14 pm

I could take one look at this game and tell it wasn't for me.

I thought I had posted about this in the other Elden Ring board, but personally, this game was a tough sell from the moment it released. I don't care for medieval fantasy. I've never played a soul's game, save for about fifteen minutes of Demon Souls. I've never seen GoT or read any of the books.

Still, I was impressed by the reviews. But that alone isn't enough to get me to buy a game. I've fallen into that trap before. Gamespot gave Ocarina of Time a 10 back in the day, and Perfect Dark a 9.9. Neither one measured up to those scores once I played them. After a week or two of PD, I went back to GoldenEye.

And as much as people gush about Breath of the Wild, I didn't find it to be quite the be-all, end-all. But my wife had a great time with it, so I'm happy for that. Myself, I had more fun with the Link's Awakening remake.

Of course, I also find that the opposite can be true, as well! There's been many times that I've avoided buying a game due to poor reviews or word of mouth. Then I end up playing it years later and having a great time. PN03 for the Gamecube is one example that comes to mind, as is Alien Resurrection for the original PlayStation.

As with most things in life, I often find that the answer lies somewhere in the middle. Games with high praise are rarely that good. Games with poor scores are rarely that bad. That doesn't mean you can't trust reviews at all, of course, but I think it's important to take them all in with a general understanding that YMMV.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » May 29th, 2022, 3:34 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:Between Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2, Scholar of the First Sin, Dark Souls 3, and Bloodborne, I've gitted gud five times. Elden Ring takes those same mechanics but then changes how the game works, so that people who were good at other Souls games will lose just like the people who have never played them at all.

My friends played From Software's previous games too and didn't seem to have difficulty adjusting to any changes in Elden Ring. I think the only real trouble any of them had was that the game would sometimes crash for one of them after the first part of the Fire Giant fight.

Return to “Modern Gaming”