New Mega Drive Mini

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
MSR1701

Re: New Mega Drive Mini

Postby MSR1701 » August 29th, 2022, 5:54 am

BanjoPickles wrote:They could have easily rounded this up to 20, in the western market:

-Earthworm Jim: Special Edition
-Dracula Unleashed
-Ground Zero Texas
-Dragon’s Lair
-Space Ace
-Out of This World/Heart of the Alien
-Eternal Champions (I’m assuming the violence kept that one off of this)

They also could have chased after a few obscurities, such as:

-The Adventures of Willy Beamish (how hard would it have been to secure the rights to this one?)
-Secret of Monkey Island (granted, this is owned by Disney….but so is Mickey Mouse, who appeared on the first Mini)

Sadly, Eternal Champions was literally wiped from Sega's memory by mid-90s company politics...

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » August 29th, 2022, 3:12 pm

The Genesis port of Eternal Champions was on the first Mini and likely was responsible for the teen rating in North America. So it's all quite unclear with the failed effort to secure an equivalent number of Sega CD titles (12 compared to 20 games for Japan's version), why the substantially revised and improved Sega CD entry is now missing

They're obviously aware of the franchise judging by the first Mini and there's no sign that any 3rd party holds partial rights to the CD entry. And for what virtually is going to be a Japanese exclusive with just a small western print run that's exclusive to Amazon (based off what I've read), I really doubt that the ESRB rating for the Mini 2 is of any concern whatsoever. Yet it's absent just the same.

I thought Earthworm Jim: Special Edition would've made a nice addition and initially thought perhaps they didn't want Sega CD enhanced versions of Genesis games already included in the original Mini, but Ecco the Dolphin CD quickly put that theory to rest. I assume they just had a set budget to work within for licensed games and it didn't stretch far enough to accommodate this and some of the other wishes.
Last edited by Atariboy on August 30th, 2022, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » August 29th, 2022, 3:26 pm

Atariboy wrote:The Genesis port of Eternal Champions was on the first Mini and likely was responsible for the teen rating in North America.

So it's all quite unclear why the substantially revised and improved Sega CD entry is now missing, since they're obviously aware of the franchise judging by the first Mini and there's no sign that any 3rd party holds partial rights to the CD entry. And for what virtually is going to be a Japanese exclusive with just a small western print run that's exclusive to Amazon (based off what I've read), I really doubt that the ESRB rating for the Mini 2 is of any concern whatsoever.

I thought Earthworm Jim: Special Edition would've made a nice addition and initially thought perhaps they didn't want Sega CD enhanced versions of Genesis games already included in the original Mini, but Ecco the Dolphin CD quickly put that theory to rest. I assume they just had a set budget to work within for licensed games and it didn't stretch far enough to accommodate this and some of the other wishes.

Oh Dag Gum, had EWJ SE been included, that would have been reason to get the mini. Largely the same as the original, the insanely good CD soundtrack and extra levels were worth a look. Honestly, kinda surprised EWJ SE hasn't been rereleased at some point, given how often the classic EWJ games have been rereleased (Wii Virtual Console, GBA, Evercade, PS3/XB360 (in the form of EWJ HD), DSi, possibly more).

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » August 29th, 2022, 3:46 pm

I wish I knew if it was easily hackable or not. I'd buy it to swap out a couple of CD games and call it a day. I'm still bummed the PC Engine Mini never really became unlocked. Oh well.

Return to “Modern Gaming”