New Mega Drive Mini

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
User avatar
MSR1701
Posts: 1441
Joined: April 29th, 2019, 7:53 am

Re: New Mega Drive Mini

Postby MSR1701 » June 5th, 2022, 11:13 am

Sigh, here's hoping a western release is announced for this year.

ThePixelatedGenocide
Posts: 1082
Joined: April 29th, 2015, 9:06 pm

Re: New Mega Drive Mini

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » June 5th, 2022, 11:56 am

RDReynolds wrote:
noah98 wrote:Sega just announced the Sega Mega Drive Mini 2:

https://youtu.be/OD_uOtjono4

50 games, including Sega CD games this time like Popful Mail. Hopefully they localize and release it here!


Sega CD Games are interesting for sure but why no 32x? Saving that for Mini 3?


According to Yosuke Okunari, it'd be too expensive to include 32x/Saturn/Dreamcast support right now.

All the folks eagerly spreading COVID helped drive up the costs for a lot of things, including consumer electronics.

User avatar
Atariboy
Posts: 876
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 11:07 pm

Re: New Mega Drive Mini

Postby Atariboy » July 13th, 2022, 10:50 pm

Western version has been announced.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/ ... is-october

Here's the initial list of games that was revealed, with further additions yet to come.

Sega CD:
-Mansion of Hidden Souls
-Night Striker
-Ninja Warriors, The
-Sonic CD
-Shining Force CD
-Silpheed

Sega Genesis:
-After Burner 2
-Alien Soldier
-Bonanza Bros.
-Lightening Force: Quest For The Darkstar (Thunder Force IV)
-Ooze, The
-Outrun
-Outrunners (Outrun 2019 would've been a better choice)
-Rainbow Islands Extra
-Shining in the Darkness
-Sonic 3D Blast
-Splatterhouse 2
-Super Hang-On
-Rolling Thunder 2
-Vectorman 2
-Virtua Racing

Extras:
-Fantasy Zone (New M2 developed Sega Genesis port)
-Star Mobile (Never before released Sega Genesis prototype)

User avatar
MSR1701
Posts: 1441
Joined: April 29th, 2019, 7:53 am

Re: New Mega Drive Mini

Postby MSR1701 » July 14th, 2022, 5:38 am

Atariboy wrote:Western version has been announced.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/ ... is-october

Here's the initial list of games that was revealed, with further additions yet to come.

Sega CD:
-Mansion of Hidden Souls
-Night Striker
-Ninja Warriors, The
-Sonic CD
-Shining Force CD
-Silpheed

Sega Genesis:
-After Burner 2
-Alien Soldier
-Bonanza Bros.
-Lightening Force: Quest For The Darkstar (Thunder Force IV)
-Ooze, The
-Outrun
-Outrunners (Outrun 2019 would've been a better choice)
-Rainbow Islands Extra
-Shining in the Darkness
-Sonic 3D Blast
-Splatterhouse 2
-Super Hang-On
-Rolling Thunder 2
-Vectorman 2
-Virtua Racing

Extras:
-Fantasy Zone (New M2 developed Sega Genesis port)
-Star Mobile (Never before released Sega Genesis prototype)


If/when Popful Mail makes the list (or 32X games), my interest will be piqued.

CaptainCruch
Posts: 514
Joined: July 17th, 2015, 11:26 am

Re: New Mega Drive Mini

Postby CaptainCruch » July 15th, 2022, 5:52 am

Since they are doing some obscure Sega CD games, I hope next time they will finally add some 32X games (Knuckles Chaotix but also Kolibri, Tempo, Virtua Racing Deluxe, Star Wars Arcade, Metal Head, After Burner, Space Harrier, Shadow Squadron and Zaxxon 2000 would be nice).

User avatar
DialSforSam
Posts: 78
Joined: August 16th, 2020, 8:32 am

Re: New Mega Drive Mini

Postby DialSforSam » July 15th, 2022, 4:55 pm

And from what I just read, the Japanese Mega Drive Mini will have both Lunar games on there.

User avatar
MSR1701
Posts: 1441
Joined: April 29th, 2019, 7:53 am

Re: New Mega Drive Mini

Postby MSR1701 » July 15th, 2022, 5:25 pm

DialSforSam wrote:And from what I just read, the Japanese Mega Drive Mini will have both Lunar games on there.


::knock on wood::

matmico399
Posts: 1153
Joined: November 25th, 2015, 6:11 pm

Re: New Mega Drive Mini

Postby matmico399 » July 15th, 2022, 7:16 pm

Still no English language version of Snatcher. When will someone wake up about that?!

User avatar
MSR1701
Posts: 1441
Joined: April 29th, 2019, 7:53 am

Re: New Mega Drive Mini

Postby MSR1701 » July 15th, 2022, 7:20 pm

matmico399 wrote:Still no English language version of Snatcher. When will someone wake up about that?!


When Konami realizes they have a cache of classics OTHER than Castlevania that can be rereleased. Snatcher, Rocket Knight, whatever they own of Hudson Soft and PC Engine/Turbo Duo...

User avatar
Atariboy
Posts: 876
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 11:07 pm

Re: New Mega Drive Mini

Postby Atariboy » July 15th, 2022, 9:09 pm

matmico399 wrote:Still no English language version of Snatcher. When will someone wake up about that?!


Over half of the games remain to be announced. 23 were announced yesterday out of 50+ games. So you can still hope.

It's Konami though so you might end up disappointed. For instance, I don't think I see a single Konami release in the Japanese or western game list so far, so they might not have licensed anything from them this time around or Konami wasn't interested in licensing out any of their IP.

It's perhaps especially problematic since it was such a commercial failure back in the day on the Sega CD in the west, barely selling any copies. I'm not sure the people involved in Japan behind this project realize that this obscure release is now seen in a positive light today by western classic gaming fans. So they might just know that it was a sales disaster at the time and not even realize that there's demand for it today.

Or perhaps even more damaging is that it's a western exclusive for a plug and play system that's apparently being primarily positioned towards Japan based off comments that they've made in the press. Will they pony up to license a property just for the small scale western release of this?

I wouldn't hold my breath.


Return to “Modern Gaming”