New Mega Drive Mini

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Atariboy

Re: New Mega Drive Mini

Postby Atariboy » June 4th, 2022, 4:39 pm

Sounds like M2 has confirmed that 20 of the inclusions will be Sega CD games.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » June 4th, 2022, 7:24 pm

BanjoPickles wrote:What excites me is the very real possibility that we could FINALLY get an English translation of Snatcher! Konami always seems to go all in on the mini consoles, and they offered up an untranslated port of Snatcher for the TG16 Mini.

Whenever these companies withhold the bulk of the lineup, I tend to write down a list of the games that I think will be included. This is what I’ve come up with:

1). Road Rash III
2). Quackshot starring Donald Duck
3). Sonic 3
4). Sonic and Knuckles
5). Final Fight (Sega CD)
6). Streets of Rage 3
7). Splatterhouse 2
8). Skitchin’
9). Night Trap (Sega CD)
10). Super Street Fighter 2
11). Rocket Knight Adventures
12). Phantasy Star 2
13). Eternal Champions (Sega CD)
14). Toejam and Earl 2
15). Snatcher (Sega CD)
16). Beyond Oasis
17). Aladdin
18). Earthworm Jim Special Edition (Sega CD)
19). Another World/Heart of the Alien (Sega CD)
20). Clayfighter
21). Columns III
22). TMNT: Hyperstone Heist (I wouldn’t have even considered this as a possibility without the release of the Cowabunga Collection. Remember how Contra Hard Corps and Castlevania Bloodlines made it to the last mini, after their respective compilations included them?)
23). Jungle Strike
24). Haunting Starring Polterguy
25). Double Switch (Sega CD)
26). Dragon’s Lair (Sega CD)
27). Aero the Acrobat
28). Outrun
29). Thunderblade
30). E-Swat
31). Wild Woody (Sega CD)
. It's very cool that they include Sega CD games. But from everything I have read there is still no Snatcher. Why oh why I don't know. I don't think Konami or Sega don't realize how many people want this game. And better yet why can't they remake this on a modern console?

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » June 4th, 2022, 7:46 pm

They've only announced 10 games so far.

Plus they've only officially confirmed this for Japan so far (Although Famistu apparently is saying it's coming west). So all the game announcements naturally have all been for that region. As the original Mini shows, if this does come west we can expect regional differences in the game lineup.

Snatcher for the Sega CD never came out in Japan. While many a Japanese release has been English friendly or even entirely in English (and most of their customers understand the language), they may want to focus on CD releases for the Japanese version that Japanese gamers actually would've played back in the day on their Mega CD.

I doubt many of the buyers of the Japanese version will be too disappointed over there if this one misses the cut for their region. If they're interested in this, they likely already own a PC Engine Mini with the PC Engine CD release of Snatcher included (A much more popular system over in Japan than the Mega Drive). And that version is even in their native language.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » June 4th, 2022, 7:53 pm

Tron wrote:
Why only 50 measly games?.

Quality over quantity, my dude. I'd much rather have a plug and play type console with a small number of games on it that are not only good games to play, but are also emulated to near perfection. Plus I'd say that like the NES Classic or the Genesis Mini, this new console will be easy to hack, making it possible to add more games to if if you want...

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » June 4th, 2022, 8:11 pm

Tron wrote:
Why only 50 measly games?.

I honestly wonder what our past selves would think of this device, and the concept of "only" 50 games? Especially with all the CD games?

We really do live in the future...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 4th, 2022, 10:05 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:
We really do live in the future...

Speak for yourself!

Seriously though, you make a good point. At what other time in history would 50 games be considered measly?

RDReynolds

Postby RDReynolds » June 4th, 2022, 10:42 pm

noah98 wrote:Sega just announced the Sega Mega Drive Mini 2:

https://youtu.be/OD_uOtjono4

50 games, including Sega CD games this time like Popful Mail. Hopefully they localize and release it here!

Sega CD Games are interesting for sure but why no 32x? Saving that for Mini 3?

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » June 5th, 2022, 3:47 am

I’m just happy we get the six-button controller this time!

Say what you want about the OG three-button pad, but I’ve always found it a little stiff and awkward. I feel the six-button pad is much smoother and more responsive for most games. Though I do like the OG gamepad for use on the 2600. I think the stiffness kinda helps with those older, simpler games, and it’s great for menu-driven titles, too.

I still probably won’t be buying this, but I wholeheartedly approve of the design. As someone who currently owns that exact Genesis Model 2 / Sega CD Model 2 combo, I am thrilled to see it re-created in miniature form! Hopefully they’ll find some way to incorporate the awesome v2.0 Sega CD menu music. Maybe it’ll play as an Easter Egg when you pop the lid on the mini prop console?

No joke, I fire up the Sega CD sometimes just to let that menu music roll. Gives my subwoofer a nice workout with that nasty synthetic bassline 8-)

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » June 5th, 2022, 9:38 am

Why bother with this? I bought a Sega Mini, had it modded, now I can play every Genesis, Master System, Sega CD and 32X game even played. Even the english version of Snatcher. Of course, finding time to play all of these games is a different story!

noah98

Postby noah98 » June 5th, 2022, 10:53 am

newmodelarmy wrote:Why bother with this? I bought a Sega Mini, had it modded, now I can play every Genesis, Master System, Sega CD and 32X game even played. Even the english version of Snatcher. Of course, finding time to play all of these games is a different story!

My Sega mini is modded too, but I always feel like I should support companies for bringing out legal versions of retro products. That will encourage them to make more, which is convenient for those who don't want to learn how to mod or download illegal software.

Return to “Modern Gaming”