Cyberpunk 2077 on PS5?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Cyberpunk 2077 on PS5?

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 5th, 2023, 5:00 pm

So I am looking forward to playing this game on my PS5, but I notice the only physical copies are PS4. Apparently this disc is the key to let you download the PS5 edition.

If that's true, I'm going to wait until a God of the Year Edition is released for the PS5. That's what usually happens.

Thoughts?

Matchstick

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 on PS5?

Postby Matchstick » January 5th, 2023, 5:10 pm

Probably not a bad idea. I feel like games like this always get a "GOTY" edition at some point down the line.

In saying that, the base PS4 / X1 version did have a pretty nice physical set on their original release. Came with extras like a map, postcards, sticker sheet, and a "compendium" lore booklet.

Pretty sure you can still find one of these for about $20 now. Not a bad pick-up if you'd rather not wait!

Crummylion

Postby Crummylion » January 5th, 2023, 10:54 pm

Iirc, the upcoming dlc that'll be bundled with the goty version will be exclusive to next gen and pc. So GotY on ps5 is definitely gonna be a thing, but not ps4.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » January 6th, 2023, 12:47 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:So I am looking forward to playing this game on my PS5, but I notice the only physical copies are PS4. Apparently this disc is the key to let you download the PS5 edition.

If that's true, I'm going to wait until a God of the Year Edition is released for the PS5. That's what usually happens.

Thoughts?

Are you keeping your PS4 console? If so just buy the PS4 version and play on PS5 for quality of life improvements that come from better hardware. Like you I am hugely in favor of a physical copy lasting forever, i.e. when the console is no longer supported you can still play the game. It will at least pair with your PS4 no matter what - but - there are always patches that need to be downloaded so it is a good idea to keep the game installed on the drive for as long as possible.

I highly recommend investing in an M2 SSD like this Western Digital one:

https://www.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-black-sn850x-nvme-ssd

Get the 4TB version if you can (I know it is very expensive but it is a one off). It is highly unlikely you will ever be able to fill up a big drive like this with games over the PS5 lifespan given the games you do not like all that well will get deleted off. It is easy to install on your PS5 and will offer blazing fast storage. The drive will outlast your PS5 and your games plus patches will stay on there literally forever (these drives typically only have short life spans when used in servers that deal with astronomical amounts of read writes). The 2TB version is much cheaper and that is usually enough for at least 50 or so games if you have a nice mix.

Worth a thought.

Cyberpunk 2077 definitely had a rough launch on PC and an even worse one on consoles. Most the kinks are ironed out now. Game is rather good indeed. You generally like the GTA games and this one belongs in that company. Give it a go.

Return to “Modern Gaming”