Interesting article about a potential PS5 design flaw

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Interesting article about a potential PS5 design flaw

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 7th, 2023, 10:21 am

There are lots of Atari 2600's that still run fine after 40 years. I wonder how many of these PS5s will still be running 40 years from now? Even 10 years? LOL

bluenote

Postby bluenote » January 7th, 2023, 1:01 pm

Comparing an atari and a ps5 is apple's to oranges. The ps5 has a much more sophisticated board vs an atari. Much more can go wrong.

The nes had a design flaw too. How many of those still work, without a ton of work to make the cartridges work without the blinking light.

I think we will be surprised at how many of these new systems will work in 40 years. Let's revisit this in 40 years and see who's right!

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » January 7th, 2023, 11:41 pm

I have used liquid metal instead of thermal paste on CPU's and GPU's before installing the waterblocks. Generally they recommend you replace the liquid metal after around two years. Quite surprising Sony went this route given most console users are not DIY enthusiasts. Also liquid metal is much harder to apply than thermal paste.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » January 8th, 2023, 2:56 pm

I just happened to do some rearranging and put my PS5 horizontally in my entertainment center. At first I had it vertical on the floor, but I was afraid the damn dog was going to bump into it and knock it over.

My Amari 2600 and NES still work, however my Colecovision doesn't.

Return to “Modern Gaming”