Hogwarts Legacy (PS5)

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Hogwarts Legacy (PS5)

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 6th, 2023, 8:13 am

I have been watching all the Harry Potter films of late, which I do every year or so, and reviewing one of the Harry Potter Xbox games (Goblet of Fire).

For some reason I expected this new Hogwarts Legacy game to be completely online, maybe because that's what most AAA games are like nowadays. But I just read it's a single-player offline game?? If so I'll be all over it.

scotland

Re: Hogwarts Legacy (PS5)

Postby scotland » February 7th, 2023, 7:56 am

I may be opening a hornet's nest, but how professional gaming review sites are handling Hogwarts Legacy has become a news story. The controversy is not, as it was back with Mortal Kombat, about the content of the game but with author JK Rowling. Most review sites are reviewing the game, while addressing the controversy in some regard.

Crummylion

Postby Crummylion » February 7th, 2023, 9:42 am

scotland wrote:I may be opening a hornet's nest, but how professional gaming review sites are handling Hogwarts Legacy has become a news story. The controversy is not, as it was back with Mortal Kombat, about the content of the game but with author JK Rowling. Most review sites are reviewing the game, while addressing the controversy in some regard.

Journalists are coming out and saying they were forced to give positive reviews for big name games or risk not getting paid. That's why they're struggling to write negative reviews.

https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/statu ... D7RaA&s=19
https://twitter.com/treswritesstuff/sta ... EGkUw&s=19

While I don't endorse JK and won't be buying the game, I'm honestly all for the Critic giving this a shot just to spite the general gaming media. As was always his destiny to be the underdog in gaming journalism.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » February 7th, 2023, 10:10 am

It looks hardly distinguishable from Forspoken, down to the miserable technical performance, but it's about 20 points higher on Metacritic. I get the feeling that this game is "too big to fail".

jackj5000

Postby jackj5000 » February 7th, 2023, 4:44 pm

It's installing on my PS5 right now, my wife has wanted this game forever.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » February 7th, 2023, 7:27 pm

Stalvern wrote:It looks hardly distinguishable from Forspoken, down to the miserable technical performance, but it's about 20 points higher on Metacritic. I get the feeling that this game is "too big to fail".

Yeah this is another 2023 game with pretty unremarkable graphics but requires titanic hardware to run. Dead Space Remastered is sadly the most next gen looking game recently and it is a remaster of a 2008 game.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » February 12th, 2023, 1:21 pm

jackj5000 wrote:It's installing on my PS5 right now, my wife has wanted this game forever.

Awesome Autobot!! I will look forward to some positive news. I loved the look of the promo.

jackj5000

Postby jackj5000 » February 12th, 2023, 2:52 pm

My wife loves it, she's poured hours into it already. The downside ... I haven't been able to play on my PS5 lol.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 20th, 2023, 4:28 pm

So got this the other day and played the intro today. Really good production values and good story too.

Then it said to "please download the latest patch" and while I looked for ways around it, it insisted. I don't like this because somewhere down the road someone will be trying to play this disc and the required patch server will no longer be available.

Oh well I didn't have much choice so put my PS5 online, which caused it to trigger an avalanche of unwanted updates. LOL I deleted those and it looks like Hogwarts Legacy will be complete in 64 hours. So only a few days until I can resume my adventure! Pretty exciting stuff. Think I'll go upstairs and pop in a Genesis game.

jackj5000

Postby jackj5000 » February 20th, 2023, 4:37 pm

One interesting thing I've noticed with updates on PS5. When you first get a game, I turn off the wifi and let the game install from the disc, which doesn't take long. Then I turn the wifi on and let it download and install updates. The other times when I let it install from the disc at the same time as downloading updates it would take so much longer, which was weird.

Return to “Modern Gaming”