Uncharted and Indiana Jones

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
BanjoPickles

Uncharted and Indiana Jones

Postby BanjoPickles » December 24th, 2023, 2:53 pm

I’ve been a diehard Indiana Jones fan for most of my life, having started with Temple of Doom when I was five (what were my parents thinking, letting me watch THAT?!). I was hooked after that. Indiana Jones, the character, was my childhood hero: he was suave, funny, brave, intelligent, and witty. I also loved that cocksure smile of the younger Harrison Ford.

When Kingdom of the Crystal Skull opened, I was ecstatic! Mind you, I didn’t hate the movie like so many others did, but the hero of my childhood was replaced with a grouchy old man who would only show flashes of his younger, cocky self. I won’t make this a diatribe against that movie.

I played the first Uncharted that same year, and I remember thinking to myself “THIS is what I was hoping Kingdom of the Crystal Skull would be!” Had Uncharted been a movie in the 1980’s, I could have seen it being a Spielberg movie!

Uncharted 2 was even better!

I thought the IJ series had the perfect send off with Last crusade, just as I felt that A Thief’s End was the perfect conclusion point for the Uncharted series. I recently revisited both series, and I was impressed by how well Uncharted emulated the magic of the original Indiana Jones trilogy while also being its own thing.

(And on a side note, I did greatly enjoy Dial of Destiny, if only for the opportunity to have one final adventure with my childhood hero. It also allowed me to share in that memory with my daughter)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Uncharted and Indiana Jones

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 24th, 2023, 3:34 pm

I agree that the Uncharted films could have been the next-generation Indiana Jones. Instead it arrived too late, was completely miscast, and frankly wasn't very good. Tom Holland as Nathan Drake? Really?

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » December 24th, 2023, 11:56 pm

The irony is that Mark Wahlberg was originally cast as Drake—which he would have been perfect for—but they took way too long so they cast him as Sully!

Honestly, I saw the movie as being completely pointless since the four mainline games were blockbuster films that you could actually play! Making a movie out of it just seemed completely redundant.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 26th, 2023, 6:04 pm

Actually both characters were cast way too young. It makes you wonder if the people who made this movie have actually ever played any of the games.

Van Halbgott

Postby Van Halbgott » February 6th, 2024, 12:01 pm

Oh guys, you know how Antonio Banderas was cast in the film?

He gets killed off in favor of some woman playing the real villian: a generic evil villain of the film.

They only cast Antonio in the film to get you to go see it before tricking you and switching characters during the film.

Other than that, it’s just another corporate action flick.

Crummylion

Postby Crummylion » February 6th, 2024, 1:53 pm

All this talk of the Uncharted movie made me want to finally give the fan film with Nathan Fillion a watch. It's so good that it's embarrassing. It captures the essence of the games much better than the Sony film, especially the writing. I can see why Fillion and fans wanted him to play Drake for years, he was a much better pick than Tom Holland, maybe even Mark Walhberg.

https://youtu.be/v5CZQpqF_74?si=es7Qie7i3swRJaap

m0zart

Postby m0zart » February 21st, 2024, 10:55 am

Crummylion wrote:All this talk of the Uncharted movie made me want to finally give the fan film with Nathan Fillion a watch. It's so good that it's embarrassing. It captures the essence of the games much better than the Sony film, especially the writing. I can see why Fillion and fans wanted him to play Drake for years, he was a much better pick than Tom Holland, maybe even Mark Walhberg.

https://youtu.be/v5CZQpqF_74?si=es7Qie7i3swRJaap

Not a fan of Wahlberg at all, and Holland annoys me. But I can see Fillion in that role. Now I need to find some time to watch the fan filmed you linked.

Return to “Modern Gaming”