The next Nintendo console

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
BanjoPickles

The next Nintendo console

Postby BanjoPickles » March 16th, 2024, 7:02 pm

I’m not calling it Switch 2, because I have this feeling that it won’t share much with the Switch. They’re not going to simply release a more powerful version of the same idea. First, that’s not really Nintendo’s style. Second, Valve has already beaten them to that.

I honestly believe that Nintendo will go in a completely different direction, even though I wish they would stick with the versatility of the current model.

Every time they have released more powerful updates as successors, they saw diminished returns. SNES sold less than the NES; Gamecube sold less than the N64; 3DS sold less than the original DS; GBA sold less than the game boy line.

What do you guys think?

DrLitch

Re: The next Nintendo console

Postby DrLitch » March 20th, 2024, 2:54 pm

I think now, more than ever, video gaming needs a successful Nintendo. I hope whatever they release it is not a clusterf*** like the Wii U. They do not need a crazy amount of hardware power but some gaming franchises are so big it would not hurt them to release at least somewhat capable hardware. Running GTA VI at 1080p medium settings would be fine. It is also time for Nintendo to abandon 30fps gaming. The Esports crowd might appreciate a Nintendo system where they can run Helldivers 2 on the train or bus to school or work without it being a slideshow.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 20th, 2024, 6:26 pm

Hopefully they don't name it the Switch U! LOL

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » March 20th, 2024, 9:39 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Hopefully they don't name it the Switch U! LOL

So many possibilities for stupid names:

-Switch U
-Super Switch
-Switch Box
-Switch One
-Switch 3D

And I completely agree, Litch, that gaming needs Nintendo! I am growing increasingly bored with Sony and Microsoft, and their ideas for the future of gaming turns me off.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 20th, 2024, 11:42 pm

I’d like to think Nintendo learned something from the Wii U debacle. It’s basically a forgotten console by the average gamer. It might have killed off a lesser company.

At the same time, it’s going to be tempting to replicate the Switch’s success. Especially after the failure of the Wii U.

One problem for the Wii U was that the Wii felt gimmicky by the end of it’s lifespan.. Yes it sold like hotcakes, but it wasn’t really a respected console by gamers at the end. It was an early phenomenon, but really fizzled out.

The Switch, on the other hand, has carved out a valid place among gamers. Targeting families and casual gamers is working for them, and the Nintendo-brand games still cause serious gamers to pick up a Switch as their secondary console. I think they could do a similar, but much more powerful, tablet system and still pull it off.

Return to “Modern Gaming”