Disappointed in Final Fantasy VII Remake

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
DaHeckIzDat

Disappointed in Final Fantasy VII Remake

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 19th, 2024, 10:03 am

I decided to try playing the original Final Fantasy VII alongside the remake that came out a few years ago. Right off the bat, I was disappointed in the remake. First, let me go ahead and say I don't have a problem with the mechanics. The graphics are amazing, the voice acting is typical JRPG cheese but does its job, and the real time combat is pretty well done (outside of boss fights, which are a complete fustercluck). No, my disappointment comes from the story itself.

I don't think it's a spoiler at this point to say that the remake is actually only a remake of the first chapter of Final Fantasy VII, ending at the point where the party leaves Midgard. In the original, it took about five hours to get to that point. The remake stretches it out into a 40-50 hour game.

But even that isn't what disappointed me. What I hated is that this isn't really a remake of Final Fantasy VII. It's a weird time travel/parallel universe sequel that overlaps with the events of the first game. (This is where the spoilers start) Basically, after being killed in the original game, Sephiroth is trying to alter the timeline to bring himself back to life and rewrite history so that all the events leading up to his defeat never happened. This causes ghosts to appear and attack whoever's actions Sephiroth is trying to alter, which in the end Sephiroth takes control of and forces Cloud to face him in a final boss fight on the moon.

And I'm just sitting here like...why? What is the point of any of this? Yes, the original game was full of Japanese Anime Insanity(tm) but the story still made sense. This is just bad fanfiction levels of stupidity. But even ignoring that, why did they feel the need to go this route in the first place? When they announced that they were remaking Final Fantasy VII, did anyone say "Oh man, I hope they change the story into something entirely different!" No, they said "I can't wait to see my favorite Final Fantasy game with modern graphics and gameplay!" Basically, all anyone wanted from a remake of Final Fantasy VII was a remake of Final FANTASY VII!

MaverickMoPete

Re: Disappointed in Final Fantasy VII Remake

Postby MaverickMoPete » March 19th, 2024, 10:22 am

Once they realized how far off the rails it went, at least they owned it. The next part of it is Final Fantasy VII Rebirth.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » March 19th, 2024, 11:47 am

In contrast, I find the change brilliant. It makes the title "Final Fantasy VII Remake" literal. Which means, the story can end up being different and surprising you.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » March 19th, 2024, 1:03 pm

I didn't get the Remake, but I found a nice little compromise in the form of an Iphone game that's thankfully 100% free called Final Fantasy VII Ever Crisis, which has the best of both worlds: the traditional style movement and gameplay of the original with the graphics of the Remake, plus voices (they're in Japanese though), and some additional content including prequel storylines for Zack Taylor and a small group with a much younger Sephiroth.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 19th, 2024, 2:13 pm

As a big FF7 fan since the PS1 days, I mostly disagree. But what you’re saying makes sense too. I hated the “changed storyline” idea at first, but it grew on me. Here’s the reality- if there’s no surprises, what’s the point of pouring all these hours into playing the remake? You’d probably just play the first game for nostalgia and then call it quits. With new main story elements, it adds some incentive to play everything, even if it’s mostly the same.

I enjoyed FF7 Remake and hope to write a review at some point. It’s not a landmark title like the original, but they captured the look and feel of FF7 way better than I ever expected in modern form. Between the two, I’d still recommend the original to an RPG fan. But I assumed that before going into it.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » March 19th, 2024, 2:59 pm

I loved Final Fantasy VII on the Playstation. But, to be honest the Midgard portion was my least favorite aspect of that game. I can't see myself spending 50-60 hours on what I thought was a slow clog at 5 hours initially.

I get why they did that due to it being really expensive to have the entire game with updated visuals...but really 5 hours stretched out to 50-60 sounds horrendous.

Maybe, if I ever buy a PS5 I'll check out the sequel to it instead. I loved that portion of the game as it was a whole world to explore versus a dark cityscape.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » March 20th, 2024, 12:32 am

I have an Xbox Series S and x. So I will not be playing this game. I liked 7 and 8 on the ps1. They were superb games, but I found the battle system of the jrpg started to take over from story which took away my enjoyment. The last one I got was the modern day one, that tried to be like Fallout 4. I did not play a lot of it. Most remakes these days add a lot of extra stories to the series. So it maybe that there is an extra 45 hours of story in it, which would be great, as i love the first disc on the ps1.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » March 20th, 2024, 1:39 am

There is room for both. Two parallel universes with loosely correlated story telling. Both Remake and Rebirth are 10/10 games, along with the original. Pity Square Enix cannot sell Final Fantasy for love or money anymore. I guess they lost karma points with Forspoken or the gaming crowd have moved onto Octopath Traveller. Retro making a comeback.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » March 20th, 2024, 7:44 am

I believe this was a PS+ game a year or so ago so I checked it out or maybe I bought it. Either way, I played it for a few hours and hated it. My biggest problem was the combat, totally different and uninspiring from the first game. I blame myself as I did not spend anytime understanding what the "remake" was. I just thought it was a slight enhancement of the original game. I would love to play FFVII again but I have not idea which one to buy or what I am buying?????

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 20th, 2024, 8:12 am

Retro STrife wrote:if there’s no surprises, what’s the point of pouring all these hours into playing the remake? You’d probably just play the first game for nostalgia and then call it quits.

I disagree. This isn't like adapting The Last of Us from PS3 to PS4. The original FF7 is nearly 30 years old. Just being able to experience the story we all know and love updated to modern day standards would be more than enough to satisfy most fans. A game like this will have two kinds of audiences: classic fans who want to see the original updated, and newcomers. Changing the story drives away both of them. Classic fans will be disappointed that the story was rewritten in such a weird and nonsensical way, and newcomers won't be able to appreciate it because it's not really a remake, it's acting as sequel to the original, which they haven't played.

Return to “Modern Gaming”