Can't Start Over?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Can't Start Over?

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 25th, 2024, 9:55 pm

While reading this article about how bad Dragons Dogma 2 is, a few comments caught my attention. In certain online games like this and also Gran Turismo, you can't delete your progress and start over! Since you have no direct control over your cloud saves, you're just kind of "stuck" with it. It's another downside to being tethered to companies and servers outside of your control.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2024/03/ ... nts-page=1

Thoughts?

MaverickMoPete

Re: Can't Start Over?

Postby MaverickMoPete » March 26th, 2024, 4:59 am

On the one hand, Cloud Saving is a godsend if you have to format your computer or your console gets stolen or breaks, so you don't lose all your data/progress when fixing/replacing it.

On the other hand, this is why multiple save slots should be the norm for video games.

Quick_Man

Postby Quick_Man » March 26th, 2024, 3:02 pm

I know part of Dragon's Dogma is about making you just deal with it if you screw up, but I'd still like having the ability to start a new game if I wanted to play in a totally different way.

Looked up what you said about Gran Turismo 7 and yeah, that SUCKS. I know it's easy to just make a new burner account on your PS4 and PS5 but that seems like an inefficent solution to a problem that doesn't need to exist. Part of the whole fun of Gran Turismo was being able to load up a fresh save and go on a completely different journey than the last time you played. Just one more thing that the franchise has lost since Gran Turismo 4 was arguably the greatest racing game of all time. I understand this could lead to smurfing in the online races if higher-ranked players could delete their data and start again as D Class, but then why not just... oh, I don't know, SEPERATE ONLINE AND OFFLINE MODES LIKE EVERY GAME USED TO DO BEFORE ALWAYS ONLINE GAMING BECAME A THING? God. I'm mad now.

txsizzler

Postby txsizzler » April 1st, 2024, 9:57 am

Sometimes, developers seem to forget why people play video games to begin with. It's an escape. Being tethered or tied down to servers and old save files is anti-escapism. Another reason I have not even bought into the latest gen of Xbox or PS hardware.. the requirements to play are just ridiculous anymore.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 4th, 2024, 9:07 pm

Funny, just tonight my friend Brent who is a Gran Turismo super-fan lamented about how he wanted to "start over" with GT7 after building a rig but he couldn't. As a workaround he had to use his wife's account. How crappy is that??

Quick_Man

Postby Quick_Man » April 5th, 2024, 11:44 am

I love Gran Turismo 7 but it feels like with Sport and 7 they lost most of the spirit of what made the earlier games great. It's kinda sad. One of those modern games where the core game is fantastic but the things surrounding it just drag the experience down.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 5th, 2024, 2:28 pm

What's ironic is how a lot of gamers use gaming as an escape from the "real world". And for some of us being off-line is a big part of that experience. For me, connecting to servers and even playing with stranger is an intrusion that takes me out of that world.

The industry doesn't like that. They want more and more control over everything you do. Because you can't make dollars from an offline gamer.

Quick_Man

Postby Quick_Man » April 5th, 2024, 5:13 pm

I've always loved the idea of being able to play online multiplayer, it's never been a downside. What sucks is that companies can't help but stitch it so engrained to the entire game to the point that if you're not online it's actively harmful, even when you want to just play single player. Gran Turismo having online? Fantastic idea. It's kind of THE best single-player racing franchise, why not try that with online multiplayer? It even has officially FiA sanctioned leagues and championships, and it's so high-profile that it was once in the Olympics! But then cracks start to show for people who would just rather we go back to the old days of games like Gran Turismo 4. No mandatory server log-ins, no daily roulette spins (ughhhhh), no in-game economy that changes every day to reflect real life (many iconic cars are 20,000,000 credits which is a stupid price), etc.

Like many things, the integration of online in video games was best in moderation. Now gaming has gone too far to the other end of the scale and it's an overload. And you get things like not having a bloody "start new career" option in Gran Turismo as a result. Enraging.

Return to “Modern Gaming”