Breath of the Wild vs Tears of the Kingdom

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
DaHeckIzDat

Breath of the Wild vs Tears of the Kingdom

Postby DaHeckIzDat » April 23rd, 2024, 7:15 am

I don't think anyone will deny that these were both great games. Breath of the Wild was a game changer, not just for Nintendo, but for open world games as a whole, adding new dimensions to the exploration and making the world feel like an actual untamed wilderness with possible adventures around every corner, and Tears of the Kingdom added to that with new powers, more enemy variety, and some impressive construction mechanics. But between the two, which did you think was better?

For me, I'd have to go with BotW. While I'm having a blast with TotK (have the Master Sword, have beaten two of the regional dungeons) there's no denying that a huge percentage of it was just ported over from the last game. The underground isn't that fun to explore, and the sky islands feel more like bonus levels than actual features. The vast majority of your time is going to be spent on the ground, which (again) is mostly the same as in BotW. BotW felt like going on an expedition to uncover every corner of the map in a brand new world. TotK is you returning to a world you already know and love to save it from a new threat. Both are fun, but BotW ekes out in front for me because the "newness" just wasn't there in TotK.

DrLitch

Re: Breath of the Wild vs Tears of the Kingdom

Postby DrLitch » April 23rd, 2024, 11:29 am

In 2017 BOTW was fresh and brilliant in many ways. A true classic and an important update to a stale Zelda formula. In 2023, TOTK, which is basically a remix or master quest with middling content, no longer feels fresh. How Nintendo took five or six years in development is beyond me, I am guessing they had another game in mind, developed it for a couple of years, canned the project, and went with a remix with some new abilities. BOTW was not perfect and TOTK adds more of the content that made sections of BOTW middling.

For seasoned BOTW veterans, TOTK presents an obvious emperor's clothes problem.

It is a shame that only a few are seeing it for what it is.

DaHeckIzDat wrote:But between the two, which did you think was better?

TOTK is a slight improvement. Perhaps a better game but this is a what if the predecessor never existed problem.

Since BOTW does exist, TOTK is nearly exhausting to play due to the high correlation with BOTW. The main map of Hyrule is worse in TOTK because there are no Guardians prowling around giving the player something to do. The Sky Islands are fun, until you realize they are repetitive cut and paste everywhere. Also land mass area is not even 10% of the main map. The underground area is a literal cut and paste job but I did enjoy lighting up the roots and fighting the Yiga clan down there. Mostly a barren boring wasteland though. The so called dungeons in TOTK are no more fun that Divine Beasts in BOTW and are some of the worst 3D dungeons in the series. Most of them are super short and easy to blow through. The only good thing with TOTK is the ability to channel yourself vertically in puzzle solving for these dungeons.

Anyway, with Elden Ring being the best example of open world design (and that game also has issues with repetitiveness), I was hoping TOTK would have a fun combat system. It did not. The ability to pause the game to down food mid boss fight is ridiculous and your character quickly becomes an engine of destruction once you level up clothes. Strong weapons are easy to forge as well, fight Lynels in the Colosseum underground.

To be fair, many of TOTK's problems are carried over from BOTW.

noah98

Postby noah98 » April 23rd, 2024, 7:13 pm

I beat BOTW and all of the DLC and overall loved the game. However, I hated the frequency of the weapon breaks, the confusing rotating divine beasts, and the 30 fps. Still, it was a memorable experience, and amazing for a 2017 release.

Tears of the Kingdom feels like it took one step forward and two steps back. For example, I hate the new fusing mechanic for weapons and feel like it made an already frustrating mechanic even worse. So now my weapons still break every five seconds, but now they look ridiculously stupid and I have to mange fusing them?! The framerate still sucks. The new crafting to make contraptions to solve puzzles and navigate the world is also not what I want in a fantasy action RPG, although I can see why some people like it.

The map being so similar to BOTW takes some of the excitement out of exploration, even though it does remix things. Admittedly, I haven't played that much of TOTK yet because there is nothing really drawing me to the game to keep playing. So far, the underground areas are not all that fun and I haven't seen enough of the sky islands to form a solid opinion as to how much they add to the game.
Last edited by noah98 on April 24th, 2024, 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » April 23rd, 2024, 9:43 pm

I'll also give TotK this: the boss fights are WAY better than in BotW. I especially love the wind temple's boss. Shooting arrows while gliding and freefalling is freaking AWESOME!

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » April 23rd, 2024, 11:19 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:I'll also give TotK this: the boss fights are WAY better than in BotW. I especially love the wind temple's boss. Shooting arrows while gliding and freefalling is freaking AWESOME!

Yeah that boss is very good. It is also in the underground area.

Just wait until you do the water temple and fight that boss :lol:.

On the other hand.....

TOTK''s end boss and the sequencing leading up to him is right up there with Ocarina of Time, perhaps even better. S tier boss. Probably top 5 most epic in gaming history it is that good.

Since you like From Software games and their boss set pieces, I have a feeling TOTK might end up your favourite Zelda game.

strat

Postby strat » April 24th, 2024, 8:15 pm

I'm gonna say making Zelda open world was a double-edged sword. Yes, it broke the series out of many conventions that were becoming stale with Skyward Sword (at least in BoTW and ToTK you can find many weapons, including bows), yet while it increased the amount of activities the player can do, you're still doing them over and over again for very little payoff.

Part of classic Zelda's charm is having little sections of the game feel drastically different with each new tool you find. That feeling doesn't happen when most equipment simply lets you survive in hostile environments or upgrades your existing stats. The fusing mechanic is an elaborate piece of brilliance which belongs in a different game. That other great thing about classic Zelda was having a compact overworld where every space was thought out and full of purpose. "Open world" Zelda wants to make traversing the world a challenge in itself. This is pulled off nicely in some places and in others you're wandering around endlessly with nothing to do but fight.

Basically, for every wow moment ToTK had, there was another moment where I wondered why I'm still playing. Yet I guess it wins over BoTW just because there's more of it, and there're a few neat surprises along the way.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » April 24th, 2024, 9:18 pm

strat wrote:you're still doing them over and over again for very little payoff.

Yes, this is another critique for both BOTW and TOTK. There has always been busy work in Zelda, but the old games had you doing side quests that at least rewarded you in kind. In Ocarina you had a side quest for a sword involving you delivering medicine to the big Goron. The Sword was a good reward. Other tasks involved collecting heart pieces, another decent reward. In TOTK or BOTW, your rewards are mostly crap you can pick up yourself or rupees, which come in ample supply.

JohanOberg

Postby JohanOberg » April 25th, 2024, 4:32 am

I've played through Breath of the Wild but I feel like I would rather play BotW again than play Tears of the Kingdom, because even though the fuse powers seem cool I don't feel like I want to use them over and over for everything like it looks like. And the sky islands don't seem to add that much to the experience, kind of like the sky in Skyward Sword.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » April 27th, 2024, 4:14 am

I like both, but the Ultra Hand took a little time for me to get used too. However, when you look at the video game philosophy of Shigeru Miyamoto, I think TotK is closest to his ideas. He really wants to give players room to experiment and play/mess around in the game world and I think TotK offers that more than BotW.

Return to “Modern Gaming”