Idea for the next Zelda

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
DaHeckIzDat

Idea for the next Zelda

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 3rd, 2024, 8:34 pm

I know this is pure idle speculation at this point, as it could easily be ten years before we get a fully fledged new, built from the ground up, Zelda game, but if Nintendo is determined to keep pushing the series toward massive free roaming maps then I think have the next logical step: sea travel. Instead of Hyrule being one massive landmass, have it be a series of smaller islands separated by big swaths of ocean. The islands could be big enough that exploring them would still be fun, but discovering and sailing to them would be the main focus of the exploration. At first your map would be blank, but discovering a new island (maybe each island could have a lighthouse for you to climb if they wanted to keep the tower thing from the last two games going) would fill in another section of the map. Hell, they could even connect it to the Wind Waker timeline if they wanted!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Idea for the next Zelda

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 3rd, 2024, 9:02 pm

Ever played Zelda: Wind Waker for the GameCube?

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 3rd, 2024, 9:07 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Ever played Zelda: Wind Waker for the GameCube?

Yes, but imagine the sailing in that (or something more modern like Assassin's Creed : Black Flag) combined with the open world exploration of BotW. I think that's a winning combination.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » May 3rd, 2024, 9:21 pm

I like the idea of linking islands or continents. Nintendo would be onto a winner if they just halved the game size, dumped the shrines, and had six to ten well thought out proper dungeons. Adopt a Dark Souls or Witcher 3 mechanic where weapons degrade but can be repaired instead of breaking outright. Bring back heart pieces. Bring back side quests for gear that is actually useful. Bring back the hookshot. Keep the paraglider. Keep the ability to launch through objects. Keep the bomb ability. Keep ultrahand and/or magnesis or something similar. Adopt a Souls Like approach of picking a build and working with it, i.e. going for Dex/Strength or Arcane. This would mean levelling up, not a classic Zelda formula, but something that would work. A new graphical style. Finally, a new composer. Music in TOTK and BOTW was hardly fitting for titles that belong in the ARPG subgenre, well known for having excellent compositions.

Edit://// Anyone bored of Hyrule as well? What about Ganon? How many games and clones of this dude have there been in a Zelda game? I do hope Nintendo come up with another reboot, ground up, fresh, and new. We have basically three Zelda games using the BOTW formula - that being BOTW, TOTK, and of course, Elden Ring. BOTW was the fuel, TOTK converted it to momentum, and Elden Ring is the tailpipe that exhausted the fumes. It is time for something new.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » May 4th, 2024, 1:23 am

I won't lie, eventually I'd like to see a traditional Zelda again. Even if it's a top down game, that'd be awesome! But especially an old school OOT formula 3D Zelda.

BOTW is great, but I hope that's not the only type of game we get going forward (although Link's Awakening on Switch gives me hope that we'll still get the classic Zelda experience). With Nintendo devs all working on one console instead of split between console and handheld like in the past, I don't see why we can't get both.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 4th, 2024, 8:33 am

DrLitch wrote:I like the idea of linking islands or continents. Nintendo would be onto a winner if they just halved the game size, dumped the shrines, and had six to ten well thought out proper dungeons.

I think there's something to be said for this. All the excess shrines and items make for a much longer game, but is it really more fun?

Quick_Man

Postby Quick_Man » May 4th, 2024, 8:51 am

We live in an era of people really demanding long AF games for their 60/70 bucks, regardless of if they achieve that longevity through mostly padding.

Return to “Modern Gaming”