Quick resume side effect

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Quick resume side effect

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 4th, 2024, 12:49 pm

So when it comes to my modern consoles like the PS4, PS5, and Switch, it's nice how you can put a game in sleep/rest mode, and the next time you turn it on, the game resumes right where you left off without skipping a beat. It saves a lot of time and aggravation.

I have noticed one side effect however. Once I start playing a game on one of these systems, I will not put in another game until I'm done with the one I'm playing. For example I'm playing Cyberpunk on my PS5, and while I hoped to play Star Wars Survivor this month, I don't want to close Cyberpunk.

Likewise the latest Prince of Persia has been holding my Switch hostage for the past few weeks, although I have a stack of other games I want to play.

I guess it's largely psychological. I can think of another reason however. Modern games tend to be pretty sophisticated, and it can be hard to "change gears" between them.

Thoughts?

Herschie

Re: Quick resume side effect

Postby Herschie » May 4th, 2024, 2:02 pm

That tends to be the case for older disc consoles, but it's because I'm too lazy to get off my butt and change the game!

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » May 4th, 2024, 6:34 pm

Someone hacked Dave’s account and is making the case for digital games… I’m with you though. For me, this is especially true on the Switch. Changing those little cartridges feels like such a hassle. I often leave the same cart in the system for weeks. When I want to play something else, I end up just playing one of my downloaded games, because it’s easier than changing to a new cart.

txsizzler

Postby txsizzler » May 5th, 2024, 7:52 pm

I believe it’s because many of today’s games are engaging to the point, where the need to complete them, or be able to go through the full storyline, is paramount. In the 80’s and 90’s, where games had a much larger arcade flavor, it was easy to switch between games without much thought.

Red Clash

Postby Red Clash » May 5th, 2024, 10:13 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:So when it comes to my modern consoles like the PS4, PS5, and Switch, it's nice how you can put a game in sleep/rest mode, and the next time you turn it on, the game resumes right where you left off without skipping a beat. It saves a lot of time and aggravation.

I have noticed one side effect however. Once I start playing a game on one of these systems, I will not put in another game until I'm done with the one I'm playing. For example I'm playing Cyberpunk on my PS5, and while I hoped to play Star Wars Survivor this month, I don't want to close Cyberpunk.

Likewise the latest Prince of Persia has been holding my Switch hostage for the past few weeks, although I have a stack of other games I want to play.

I guess it's largely psychological. I can think of another reason however. Modern games tend to be pretty sophisticated, and it can be hard to "change gears" between them.

Thoughts?

I thought this thread would be about the downside of Quick Resume, in that it can cause issues with Achievement progress tracking and glitch Achievements. There's a ton of threads and complaints about it online, MS really should have provided the option to disable it. I know that forgetting to quit out of the game (pressing start on the home screen after selecting the game "tile" and selecting the X Quite option) caused my progress in Ryse Son of Rome to get screwed up when I was recently returning to it to finish off some old Achievements. Some anecdotal reports about Quick Resume also glitching game saves and online progress make sense, as online sessions can time out and can't as easily or quickly be resumed in the manner of offline single player games.

Return to “Modern Gaming”