Xbox 360 capatibility?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Herschie

Re: Xbox 360 capatibility?

Postby Herschie » December 6th, 2020, 5:41 pm

Remember when this was considered modern gaming? I like to say that if I play it on a CRT it's classic, HD is modern.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 6th, 2020, 10:34 pm

Herschie wrote:Remember when this was considered modern gaming? I like to say that if I play it on a CRT it's classic, HD is modern.

The year was 2000- the PS2 was the newest, hottest, most powerful system in the world, and I was just some idiot kid posting on the Digital Press forum (maybe the biggest retro gaming forum at the time) - “Isn’t it funny to think that the PS2 will be the retro gaming system of choice for the kids of today, in the same way we look at the Atari and NES?”, I wrote. The statement almost seems common sense now (i.e. PS4/PS5 will be the retro gaming system of choice for current teenagers come 2040, not the SNES or PS1), but you’d think I spoke blasphemy to make that statement back then based on the responses I got... “good try, but PS2 will never be retro!” or “new systems will never be collectible like Atari is”. It’s just a funny insight into our thought process back when retro gaming was just an emerging new hobby.

Anyway, your post reminded me of that story, because it is interesting to look back and think about a time when today’s “old systems” were considered new. I think that’s part of the appeal of old gaming magazines.. they’re like a time capsule showing you how gamers perceived the systems and games of December 1995, or whatever old issue you happen to be flipping through today.

Shapur

Postby Shapur » December 8th, 2020, 7:14 pm

Herschie wrote:Remember when this was considered modern gaming? I like to say that if I play it on a CRT it's classic, HD is modern.

I hope you don’t play your 360 on a CRT ;).

360 still seems “modern” to me. As in there are a decent number of games still on the shelf at my local Wal Mart. Brand new.

Totally necro-threading here but with the soft console transition blurring the line between generations there may not be the collectible/retro/nostalgia factor for PS4 games ever, not in the same way as the SNES or Atari. Most will remain available for download anytime on the PS5, PS6 and more likely PSNow Super-actually-works version.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » December 9th, 2020, 8:50 am

Shapur wrote:I hope you don’t play your 360 on a CRT ;).

When it first came out I did, I still had a Trinitron. But in 2005, that wasn't uncommon. I recently tried playing on a CRT to see what it looks like, and...no! 360 definitely is better in HD.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 9th, 2020, 10:41 am

Shapur wrote:360 still seems “modern” to me. As in there are a decent number of games still on the shelf at my local Wal Mart. Brand new.

I'm with you on that, as I still have my 360 hooked up as a main console in my living room.

I've learned over the years that this rule of thumb tends to hold up pretty well: a system becomes "retro" when you count back two generations from the current gen. Under that rule, Xbox 360 is last-gen but still "modern". (For comparison, Xbox 360 is last-gen, Xbox One is current gen, and Xbox Series X is next gen. Whereas, the original Xbox is retro, counting back two generations from the current-gen Xbox One.) It will take the Series X a couple years before it becomes firmly entrenched as current gen, at which time Xbox One will become last gen and then Xbox 360 will become retro. It's not a perfect rule, but it tends to work well in most cases.

Shapur wrote:Totally necro-threading here but with the soft console transition blurring the line between generations there may not be the collectible/retro/nostalgia factor for PS4 games ever, not in the same way as the SNES or Atari. Most will remain available for download anytime on the PS5, PS6 and more likely PSNow Super-actually-works version.

I'm with ya about necro-threading usually, but this one seemed interesting, since Herschie revived the oldest thread in the modern gaming forum. I think you're right to a degree that the current move to digital will change the landscape of retro gaming in the future. It's legitimate to question if your PS4/PS5 will even be usable anymore in 2050, since so many features of the system and games will "die" with the servers. Patch fixes or online components will be long gone by then, so some games won't work at all. Funny to think that if you have nostalgia for Fortnite in 20 years, too bad.. Still, the counter to that is that "nostalgia is nostalgia" -- it's such a part of human nature that it isn't going anywhere. And in that sense, the young adults of 2040 will collect what they grew up with, just as we collect what we grew up with, and as our grandparents did before us. Sure, the way they collect their PS4/PS5 games might be different than how we collect our PS1/PS2 games, but I think it'll still be there.

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » December 10th, 2020, 4:46 am

I started reading this thread without realising it was fourteen years old, damn that is crazy! At the time I had not long returned from a year of traveling the world, had no money and was experimenting with several different career paths.
It wouldn't be until the end of 2008 that I got an Xbox 360 core edition; a lovely birthday gift from my mum and brother. I played it on a massive Trinitron CRT that weighed the earth and thought it looked great but wondered why it was difficult to read the text. Then I bought a second hand monitor from a friend's uncle and was like 'Wow... this is how its meant to be. I just had to figure out how to set up the sound ( bought some cheap speakers ).

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 10th, 2020, 10:24 am

Buttermancan wrote:I started reading this thread without realising it was fourteen years old

:lol: me too. Then again, the opening line of the first post is "I still haven't seen an Xbox 360 in any stores yet" so I guess that should have been a dead giveaway.. Unless the VGC lives in the desert somewhere.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » December 11th, 2020, 9:43 am

Hey! I played my 360 on a CRT, and sometimes still do. It makes the visuals look less jaggy for some reason.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » December 12th, 2020, 3:38 am

Retro STrife wrote:I've learned over the years that this rule of thumb tends to hold up pretty well: a system becomes "retro" when you count back two generations from the current gen.

That's been the rule, but will it continue going forward?

What does the 360/PS3 era offer that's been lost? Bloom lighting and ugly color palettes? Questionable frame rates and lots of screen tearing?

So far, the only people I've seen genuinely nostalgic for that time are sports gamers and Call of Duty players.

And that's mostly only due to the greed of the AAA industry, rather than that era of gaming having its own identity, completely independent of the two generations that have followed.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » December 12th, 2020, 5:03 am

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:So far, the only people I've seen genuinely nostalgic for that time are sports gamers and Call of Duty players.

I definitely have fond memories of MLB 12 The Show as well as Madden 12.

Return to “Modern Gaming”