Okay, ps3 time for me

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
BanjoPickles1

Okay, ps3 time for me

Postby BanjoPickles1 » November 9th, 2008, 1:36 pm

I have resisted it for so long, for a number of reasons. The $600 price tag kept me disgusted and away from it for the longest time. Also, it seemed that the games that I wanted for it were also coming out for the 360. However, something happened. That "something" is Little Big Planet.

Has anybody played the game? I would love an unbiased take on the game. It seems outstanding, the kind of game that I could spend months, or years, delving into.

Also, how is the rest of the ps3 library? I don't want to spend $400 for a blu ray player(frankly, paying $30 for pretty movies isn't my idea of a good time), and I don't want people raving about games that I can already get on my 360. How is Resistance? Ratchet and Clank? Uncharted? How about some other games falling down the pipeline? With the exception of most sports games, I'm completely up for anything. I'm looking for exclusives to justify my purchase.

One final thing: did they take out the backwards compatibility entirely?

ajsmart1

Okay, ps3 time for me

Postby ajsmart1 » November 11th, 2008, 12:21 pm

I haven't played Little Big Planet yet, but the videos I've seen of user generated levels is amazing.  It seems almost anything is possible.

I don't have many PS3 titles, but Uncharted is easily my favorite, and at the moment my favorite game of all the new systems.  It's what the Last India Jones movie should have been.

The majority of the PS3 library is simply not worth the $60 price tag. However, some of the earlier titles can now be had for peanuts. I bought Untold Legends Dark Kingdom for almost nothing.  At full price I would have felt ripped off, but at a bargain price it's a pretty competent dungeon crawler.  I picked up the Simpsons game new for $12.  I'll be picking up Ratchet and Clank when it gets to $30.

According to the Wikipedia entry for the PS3, all new systems in production have no form of backwards compatibility.  This is a damn shame.  I think the best feature of my PS3 is its the backwards compatibility with up-scaling.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Okay, ps3 time for me

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 11th, 2008, 12:32 pm

[QUOTE=ajsmart]
According to the Wikipedia entry for the PS3, all new systems in production have no form of backwards compatibility.  This is a damn shame.  I think the best feature of my PS3 is its the backwards compatibility with up-scaling.
[/QUOTE]

Are you serious?  This comes as a shock to me.  Backwards compatibility was key to the PS2 success, and a great selling point for the PS3. 

Leo1

Okay, ps3 time for me

Postby Leo1 » November 11th, 2008, 1:49 pm

All PS3 systems have some form of backwards compatibility, they all share the same software emulator for PSOne titles.

Its true that PS2 compatibility has now been removed completely. It hasn't been fully emulated in software, there was still a PS2 chip in PS3's even after moving to a partially software based BC emulator. That chip has now been removed completely, along with some of the USB ports, SACD support, and the memory card slots. All things I can do without, I have a perfectly good PS2 that can play those games. I'd rather have the lower price this made possible.

You should've went to Wal-Mart on Saturday morning, PS3's were $100 off. I'm now a PS3 owner because of that deal, I didn't want to pay $400 for a console.

I do sort of wish it could play PS2 titles though, would be nice to know I have a backup, and I think I like the d-pad on the Dual Shock 3 a lot more than the DS2's, it seems much easier to do diagonal movements on it, and I like this controller much more than my wireless PS2 Logitech controller.

Adamant1

Okay, ps3 time for me

Postby Adamant1 » November 11th, 2008, 2:56 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic][QUOTE=ajsmart] According to the Wikipedia entry for the PS3, all new systems in production have no form of backwards compatibility.  This is a damn shame.  I think the best feature of my PS3 is its the backwards compatibility with up-scaling. [/QUOTE] Are you serious?  This comes as a shock to me.  Backwards compatibility was key to the PS2 success, and a great selling point for the PS3.  [/QUOTE]

Sony has been quoted as saying that no one cares about playing PS2 games anymore now that shiny new PS3 games are available.

I can't for the life of me locate a direct quote right now but it was all over the net back then. Anyone?

Michael D

Okay, ps3 time for me

Postby Michael D » November 11th, 2008, 10:54 pm

I'm not sure if Sony said that, but I do know that they stopped building PS3s with the Emotion Engine (a major factor for the PS2) and then decided to follow Microsoft's lead with software emulation.  How ironic then that back in 2005, Sony attacked Microsoft for doing just that, saying "We're not willing to go out there and say that the PS3 is backwards compatible, sort of."  I think they've since stopped doing BC updates, though I'm not sure.

I know that Microsoft has stopped updating their BC list for 360, claiming that people aren't as interested in them and don't download them that much anymore.  I think that this is part of the reason why they started the Xbox Originals program, but without more updates, that means that games like Shenmue 2 (Hang-On doesn't work and launching it freezes the game) and Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 (severe slowdown and sprite flickering) will never have their issues fixed (although in the case of MVC2, I've heard rumors of an XBLA version).

Viper821

Okay, ps3 time for me

Postby Viper821 » November 12th, 2008, 8:07 am

Who wants to bet that in 2009, Sony will sell a PS2 emulator (and PS2 games) via the PlayStation Store? It's hard to get that extra $$$ when it's already built in.

I'm happy my model has it, but I do find it kind of strange how so many potential PS3 owners consider BC such an important feature. If you are that interested in PS2 games, wouldn't it make sense to save your money and stick with your PS2?

andrew

Okay, ps3 time for me

Postby andrew » November 12th, 2008, 11:23 am

[QUOTE=Viper82]Who wants to bet that in 2009, Sony will sell a PS2 emulator (and PS2 games) via the PlayStation Store? It's hard to get that extra $$$ when it's already built in.

I'm happy my model has it, but I do find it kind of strange how so many potential PS3 owners consider BC such an important feature. If you are that interested in PS2 games, wouldn't it make sense to save your money and stick with your PS2?

[/QUOTE]
It would make more sense to just stop complaining, buy a PS3 and a PS2 slim for full backwards compatibility.

feilong801

Okay, ps3 time for me

Postby feilong801 » November 12th, 2008, 11:57 am

I think backwards compatibility is important. Most of us don't have the space to just keep every old console each time we uprgrade. Plus, in order to make our hobby as efficient as possible, many of us sell the old console when we upgrade to the new.

So, backwards compatibility allows us to play our old library, and to also check out games we haven't yet played for an older system. I think it is a must, and bad on Sony for eliminating it entirely. I wouldn't be surprised to see a "PS2 emulator" on the PSN network... and shame on them if they actually sell it.

Banjo: I would definitely look for refurbished or used PS3s that have backwards compatibility. You should be able to easily find the software based backwards compatible systems, as they were only recently discontinued. If you really poke around, you might find one of the early PS3 models which have the PS2 chipset inside, hence any PS2 software will work perfectly with no glitches.

-Rob

m0zart1

Okay, ps3 time for me

Postby m0zart1 » November 12th, 2008, 1:06 pm

What I really like about PS3 full hardware BC (the kind in my 60 GB model) is that it supports almost all PS1 and PS2 games and does it without many hiccups (compared to the software emu for the PS2 in later models), and the options to anti-alias and upscale help to make the experience of playing these games on an HDTV much better overall.

When I bought the system early as I did, I did it for BC and bluray.  If I hadn't already done this and only had the current offerings without PS2 BC as an option, I would just get a Bluray player.

Return to “Modern Gaming”