360 or PS3?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
wdm0744

360 or PS3?

Postby wdm0744 » December 4th, 2008, 10:41 am

I'm not disputing the claim, but is there any documented evidence that the newer X-box 360s are less failure prone or is this just your feeling?  You may be right, I just haven't heard that confirmed (and I may have missed it).

I never got the RRoD, but I did get a system failure (accompanied by a red light in the 4th position).  Rather than overheating, this is caused by downloading a mandatory update from Live (I think in January 2008).  This update bricked a small perctange of people's systems (like 2%, I think).  I guess I just got lucky. 

Say what you will about PS3's frequent updates, but I don't know of anyone who has had their system ruined by one.

What I did experience, though, was frequent games freeze/crashes not related to software (as far as I know, since it happened on multiple games) or overheating (since it happened sometimes after only 10 minutes of play and my system was out in the open).

I experienced these exact same problems on the Elite, the middle model, and the arcade system and while connected and disconnected from the internet.

Maybe I'm just cosmical screwed - but I know a LOT of other people have had the same kind of issues. (In fact, I only know one guy in real life whose 360 han't had any problems.)

I feel like the general consenseous (and not just my opinion) is that if you get a 360, you'll get great games and great (if not free) online service...

BUT, expect it to break on you at least once if not multiple times.

And, bear in mind that the 3 year warranty only covers the RRoD.  All other issues are only covered for 1 year.

If you're cool with that, more power to you.

If that doesn't sound like something you're willing to accept, then get the much more stable PS3, enjoy the extra capacity of blu-ray (even if you are not going to use it for movies), enjoy multi-platform games that perform equally as well as on the 360, enjoy great exclusives, and enjoy free online services.

There's really no "bad" call, you just have to decide what you're comfortable with.

JustLikeHeaven1

360 or PS3?

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » December 4th, 2008, 11:15 am

As an owner of both the PS3 and 360 I'd like to toss in my two cents...

As others have said, you can't really go wrong with either purchase.  Both have practically the same multiplatform games and each has great exclusives. 

So much as you cannot use the RRoD argument for the 360 anymore (knock on wood), you cannot use the PS3 has no games argument.  While I may have played my 360 a heck of alot more last year, the tides have turned in the past 8 months.  Plus I stopped buying multiplatform games on the 360 for fear of it breaking (yea, I will always be nervous). 

In your post you mentioned a few things that would naturally point you to a PS3.  First there is the built in Wi-Fi.  This is a godsend for people who don't have easy access to their internet connection.  Next you said that you really aren't interested in online play.  With the PS3 it's free so I bet you would be more inclined to at least try it out, rather than if you paid for it.  Finally the PSN might not be as good as LIVE! but it still has plenty of great downloadable games.

I would get the 360 if you absolutely cannot live without games like Halo, Gears of War and Fable...I would also get a 360 if you played online all the time, because chances are some of your friends have a Xbox.  If you fit into either of those two categories you probably can't live without a 360.

Viper821

360 or PS3?

Postby Viper821 » December 4th, 2008, 11:42 am

[quote]Say what you will about PS3's frequent updates, but I don't know of anyone who has had their system ruined by one[/quote]

Ironically enough, my PS3 gave out just after I updated the firmware using a  weak Wi-Fi signal at the time. Apparently looking online there are numberous reports of firmware causing problems by updating using a weak Wi-Fi signal. I'll never know for sure, but I suspect my last update had something to do with my problems because I treat my systems like a newborn baby.

Even with my problems, I still think the PS3 is hands down the most durable system and will be the longest lasting due to the Blu-Ray format.

snakeboy1

360 or PS3?

Postby snakeboy1 » December 4th, 2008, 2:54 pm

Once again, thanks for all the comments. Still not sure which I will choose, but you guys have definitely helped.

A couple of questions regarding the 360:

1. How long have the newer, "more durable" 360's been on the market? I'm curious because I was wondering if they have been around long enough to say for sure that they are more reliable.

2. What is the difference between the Arcade and Pro systems besides the hard drive?

ActRaiser1

360 or PS3?

Postby ActRaiser1 » December 4th, 2008, 6:26 pm

[QUOTE=snakeboy]Once again, thanks for all the comments. Still not sure which I will choose, but you guys have definitely helped.

A couple of questions regarding the 360:

1. How long have the newer, "more durable" 360's been on the market? I'm curious because I was wondering if they have been around long enough to say for sure that they are more reliable.

2. What is the difference between the Arcade and Pro systems besides the hard drive?
[/QUOTE]

1...no idea...I think the newest consoles came out just before Halo 3 shipped a year ago.  There's a newer arcade model coming out that has the memory on board and not through an external memory card but I don't think it's out yet.

2.  Arcade
  • Xbox 360 console (without hard drive)
  • 256 MB Memory Unit
  • Wireless controller
  • Xbox LIVE Silver membership
  • Composite AV cable
  • 5 Arcade LIVE titles (included on disc): Feeding Frenzy, Luxor 2, Boom Boom Rocket, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Uno
  • Sega Superstars Tennis Game
Pro
  • Xbox 360 console
  • 60GB detachable hard drive
  • Wireless controller 
  • Xbox Live headset 
  • Standard/Component AV cable
  • Ethernet cable
  • Detachable faceplate
  • Xbox Live Silver membership
  • LEGO Indiana Jones Game
  • Kung Fu Panda Game
The key difference is the hard drive, headset, component cable, and 2 full games that may or may not be fun for you.  Mainly you'll need the hard drive; especially, if you want to play original Xbox games.  It used to be the old arcade systems came with a wired controller; however, now it appears that both come with a wireless controller.  Also, you used to get a remote with the pro system but it doesn't look like they include it anymore.

Goodluck with whatever decision you make!

Return to “Modern Gaming”