Enough with the Updates! (PS3)

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Viper821

Postby Viper821 » December 3rd, 2008, 9:37 am

Is it just me, or are these things really getting out of hand? It seems lately I can't start my PS3 without that 'update required' message coming on. In some cases I've had to update twice in the same week.

Enough already! I just want to play the $#@%@# game, not 'update' constantly. Granted, some of these updates have really helped push the PS3 ahead but do we really need an update for such minor, trivial things like we are seeing recently? I wouldn't mind so much if it was a bi-annual events but it's a constant annoyance instead.

What's really getting on my nerves lately are the constant 'updates' (read: patches) that PS3 titles have. It's getting to the point of ridiculousness where in order to play Motorstorm online, I had to do three updates that took well over an hour (and failed the first time). The Critic was right when he said consoles are becoming like PC's, where lazy developers rush buggy code knowing they can post a patch later. 

Developers, knock it off! My patience is running out, next gen or not.

steer

Postby steer » December 3rd, 2008, 10:23 am

A dumb question but -

am I understanding without interent access you PS3 would plain not play some of your games?

This sounds extreme, maybe I am not getting what you need the update for?

andrew

Postby andrew » December 3rd, 2008, 12:37 pm

Why do these updates take so long? Shouldn't a machine as powerful as a PS3 calmly update in mere minutes at most? What a joke. Consoles are becoming like PC's but at least it has optional updates for the most part and windows updates and antivirus update are handled quietly and quickly in the background.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » December 3rd, 2008, 12:55 pm

Rants where people don't understand things really gets on my nerves.

First of all the download speed of the updates is unrelated to the machine's spec.s and is completely dependant on this guy's net connection.  While I haven't experienced the PS3s updates if I see one more time some guy who probably couldn't even ace Gigh School level maths call the guys behind a game like MotorStorm lazy I'm going to lose it.  Do you not understand the vast difficulty and intelligence that goes into these games.  The hoardes of code.  The complexity of what is involved.  Gamers have become so spoilt.  If you cannot understand the massive jump in difficulty between old simple 2D games and what we have now then I don't know how to explain it to you. 

But calling these guys lazy is just plain insulting and makes any legitimate point you may have (those download times do sound ridiculous) very hard to take seriously.  These guys are marvels and when you see a game like Motorstorm you can't help but be amazed by them.  I look at it and see all these complex problems they have solved and it makes me feel unintelligent by comparison.

riftt

Postby riftt » December 3rd, 2008, 2:04 pm

I am also sick of people making a big deal about updates or having to install ps3 games.  I havent had my ps3 for very long but I don't see what the big deal is.  The critic is so overblown and dramatic about the game installs that its silly.  You only have to do it once!  God forbid he ever downloads a game from the playstation store.  System updates are a good thing - would you rather sony abandon the console?  If they are slow, it's because your connection sucks. 

JasonhasRSI1

Postby JasonhasRSI1 » December 3rd, 2008, 2:18 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]Rants where people don't understand things really gets on my nerves.

First of all the download speed of the updates is unrelated to the machine's spec.s and is completely dependant on this guy's net connection.  While I haven't experienced the PS3s updates if I see one more time some guy who probably couldn't even ace Gigh School level maths call the guys behind a game like MotorStorm lazy I'm going to lose it.  Do you not understand the vast difficulty and intelligence that goes into these games.  The hoardes of code.  The complexity of what is involved.  Gamers have become so spoilt.  If you cannot understand the massive jump in difficulty between old simple 2D games and what we have now then I don't know how to explain it to you. 

But calling these guys lazy is just plain insulting and makes any legitimate point you may have (those download times do sound ridiculous) very hard to take seriously.  These guys are marvels and when you see a game like Motorstorm you can't help but be amazed by them.  I look at it and see all these complex problems they have solved and it makes me feel unintelligent by comparison.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with the points you make. However, I can speak to the differences between the speed at which the PS3 downloads updates/patches versus the 360, given that I have both consoles hard-wired to the same internet connection. Hands-down, the 360 downloads things quite a bit faster.

andrew

Postby andrew » December 3rd, 2008, 3:04 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]Rants where people don't understand things really gets on my nerves.

[/QUOTE]

Surely someone witha HDTV, HD channel service with it and a PS3 isn't lumbering around with a 56K modem or low end dsl connection. More proably about the fact their servers are garbage and the update algorithms are poor. And programmer's are lazy. 2D-3D. argument? 3D happened over 13 years ago. Why is it PS2 and Xbox games were quite reliable for the most part but now patches are coming all the time for these new games. Sure the tech is more complex but no more complex than the jump from SNES to PSX, n64 to PS2.

Roperious1

Postby Roperious1 » December 3rd, 2008, 3:09 pm

I welcome the updates. Period.

Chris D.

Postby Chris D. » December 3rd, 2008, 3:11 pm

[QUOTE=JasonhasRSI][QUOTE=bluemonkey]Rants where people don't understand things really gets on my nerves.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with the points you make. However, I can speak to the differences between the speed at which the PS3 downloads updates/patches versus the 360, given that I have both consoles hard-wired to the same internet connection. Hands-down, the 360 downloads things quite a bit faster.
[/QUOTE]

I agree.  I think downloading "arcade" games on the 360 seems faster than on the PS3 for whatever reason. The Wii virtual console games are faster too. I don't know the difference in file sizes, but for example, I can download a N64 game to the Wii in less than half the time it takes me to download a PSOne Classic to the PS3. I would have thought the N64 titles would be larger (and they even include detailed directions specific to the virtual console, where the PS1 game you don't get any of that).  I too am getting annoyed at the constant updates for the PS3, though mine mostly collects dust anymore compared to my other systems.

Some people will condone the status quo at any cost, of course, but I think these are legitimate complaints regarding the PS3.

steer

Postby steer » December 3rd, 2008, 3:20 pm

The best point BM makes is about the laziness.

Whatever the problems or the struggles laziness is not the issue - lazy ppl dont make games, they talk about making games, or whatever your proffesion is...

Return to “Modern Gaming”