Wii Sports eclipses SMB1 in total sales - do you care, one way or the other, and....

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
steer

Wii Sports eclipses SMB1 in total sales - do you care, one way or the other, and....

Postby steer » January 6th, 2009, 10:48 pm

numbers from vgchartz.com :

Wii Sports eclipses SMB1 in total sales - do you care, one way or the other,
and....

I predict, in a half year or so, maybe longer - Wii Fit enthusiates 'fall of the wagon' - like with all exercise equipment - and the used game market will be literally FLOODED with thousands (if not millions!) of balance boards! Look for your good bud Dick Enrico to start hawking them on 2nd wind!!!!

But back to Wii Sports, yes it is true, so they say, it is now the most widly distributed single game EVER! I suppose if you add in the GBA rerelease and wiiware sales SMB1 is still 'ahead' but it seems to me a new icon has supplanted an old and yet still current icon. Here is the top 10 :

1 . Wii Sports Nintendo (Wii) 40.52 (bundled, except for Japan - 45% attach rate there…)
2. Super Mario Bros Nintendo (NES) 40.24
3. Pokemon Red / Green / Blue Nintendo (GB) 31.38
4. Tetris Nintendo (GB) 30.26
5. Duck Hunt Nintendo (NES) 28.31 - (was this not on MANY SMB combo backs? I have never seena duckhunt alone cart, nor have I seen a SMB alone cart??? I have seen SMB/Duckhunt/Track n Field)
6. Pokemon Gold / Silver Nintendo (GB) 23.11
7. Nintendogs Nintendo (DS) 21.37 (divide by 3? LOL!)
8. Super Mario World Nintendo (SNES) 20.61
9. Wii Play Nintendo (Wii) 19.68
 10 .Super Mario Land Nintendo (GB) 18.14

21. Wii Fit Nintendo (Wii) 13.72 (that is a LOT of balance boards to make in ONE YEAR!)
23. Mario Kart Wii Nintendo (Wii) 13.42

Wii fit and mario kart are in the top 25 as well, 2008 releases, pretty crazy...

Oh BTW, my friend code for MKWii is : 3909 8624 8532

I have to apologize to the Wii Music ppl I was gonna share vids with, my connection is not steady enough to allow Wii Connect 24 I guess, but it is good enough for online MKWii - so if you want a good time or revenge, lets hook up, I can play most evenings, or make it work, if anyone is interested...

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » January 7th, 2009, 12:44 pm

SMB/Duck Hunt was a pack-in with the so-called NES Action Set, released a couple years into the NES' lifetime, and was never sold separately. Duck Hunt had been a massive seller up to that point, and had been available both as a loose cart and as a pack-in with the Deluxe Set in the US.
obviously it was chosen to be part of said package because of it's popularity at the time. Also, I'm don't think this multicart was released in Japan.
The list might count all the multicarts including Duck Hunt as a sold cartridge too, for all I know.

Cheesy

Postby Cheesy » January 7th, 2009, 10:53 pm

Brawl's not on the list?

steer

Postby steer » January 7th, 2009, 11:51 pm

Brawl is back aways...

Super Smash Bros Brawl

This is interesting, 2-d vs 3-d : 
Nintendo

Super Mario Galaxy Nintendo

New Super Mario Bros Nintendo

Plus the Mario Kart spinoff, the first franchise to 'split' from Mario is consistently more popular than 'cutting edge' Mario. That is odd in a way.... 
2-d Mario most popular, than Mario Kart, than Galaxy....

Do you think we ever see a 2-d home consle Mario again - or is that a portable console thing now?

They should make a 2-d Mario on Wii just to take the 'pressure' off from having to top Galaxy, and why not make Galaxy 2 for DS - just to shake things up? I am very surprised we have not heard about a New Super Mario Bros. 2 yet.

Also will Nintendo keep pumping out origional 'Wii' series games. or do we start to see sequels?

Fragnox

Postby Fragnox » January 8th, 2009, 9:11 am

[QUOTE=steer]Plus the Mario Kart spinoff, the first franchise to 'split' from Mario is consistently more popular than 'cutting edge' Mario. That is odd in a way.... 
2-d Mario most popular, than Mario Kart, than Galaxy....[/QUOTE]

Likely because Mario Kart and Mario Galaxy are more appealing to casual gamers than the original Mario concept.  Which is also likely why Wii Sports is outselling Super Mario Bros.  Look at it how you will, but let's face it, these aren't the same days of gaming.  Now there are TONS of casual gamers purchasing video games, and casual gamers' console of choice is the Wii.  If they so much as buy a Wii, Wii Sports gets a sale (save for in Japan).  It doesn't replace Super Mario Bros. as an icon for gaming, casual gamers have just replaced normal gamers as the main consumer of games (because there are so many of them, not because gamers have let up).  Call me biased if you will, but it's true.

[QUOTE]Do you think we ever see a 2-d home consle Mario again - or is that a portable console thing now?[/QUOTE]

You contradict yourself.  Portables =/= consoles.  They are exact opposites.

That aside, I think it's highly unlikely that we're ever going to see very many actual 2D games on a console as a real game again.  WiiWare, maybe.  A 2.5D, maybe.  But as a regular game, I don't see it happening.

[QUOTE]They should make a 2-d Mario on Wii just to take the 'pressure' off from having to top Galaxy, and why not make Galaxy 2 for DS - just to shake things up? I am very surprised we have not heard about a New Super Mario Bros. 2 yet.[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised you're so bent on sequels.  Super Mario Sunshine wasn't a sequel to Super Mario 64.  No game was.  No game was a sequel to Super Mario Sunshine either.  Galaxy was more popular than Sunshine, but I don't think it was more popular than Super Mario 64, so I don't see why it should get a sequel.

[QUOTE]Also will Nintendo keep pumping out origional 'Wii' series games. or do we start to see sequels?[/QUOTE]

We're seeing Wii Sports Resort later this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see a Wii Play 2 (packaged with some other peripheral, or maybe just the Wiimote again), a Wii Music 2, and DEFINITELY not a Wii Fit 2.  That game sold very well and it's $90, so they made a metric ton of money off that deal.

But I wouldn't be surprised if we keep seeing originals either.

Return to “Modern Gaming”