Gamecube games on the Wii? With Wii controls?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
feilong801

Postby feilong801 » January 8th, 2009, 4:34 pm

This is no different than what every other platform holder does: parlay your past library in various ways to extend its value. Nothing wrong with that at all. Microsoft and Sony do this via downloads, Nintendo is choosing a different route.

I echo m0zart, the Metroids make perfect sense. I'll be looking forward to those for sure.

-Rob

Fragnox

Postby Fragnox » January 8th, 2009, 5:46 pm

[QUOTE=m0zart]It's something many Prime and Pikman fans in particular have been asking for, and they're just meeting that request/demand, so it's something I do in fact hope they make money doing.  As such, I am going to reward them for doing the logical and sane thing -- namely exactly what I hoped they would do.  It's the principle of the thing
[/QUOTE]

No, no.  I don't think they're meeting request/demand.  I think they realized they can slap motion sensor controls on anything and pass it off as a new game -- or new enough to make money off of it.

Also, as a large fan of Prime, I STILL don't understand why motion controls are necessary.  People constantly complain about how awful the controls are and how Prime 3 improved it and I didn't even think about the controls until other people brought it up.

Not to mention, how are they going to do the Primes with the Wiimote + Nunchuck?  In Prime 3 it wasn't a huge problem because the beams stacked, but how are the beams going to work in the Wiimakes?  If they stack them, I will be extremely irked (well, not in Prime 2 -- removing the limited beam ammo would be awesome).

Either way, unless I see a significant improvement in the actual gameplay -- graphics are only a plus, controls make no difference to me -- I will still not see how this is worth it.  If they package them together and I can get them for $20, I'll consider it, or if I can get them separately for $10.  But any higher and it's not worth it to me to spend my money on games I already have.  Prime was AWESOME, so normally I would support Nintendo and rebuy it, but if it's a rehash with different graphics and controls it's just a lazy way to make money.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » January 8th, 2009, 6:27 pm

[QUOTE=Fragnox]No, no.  I don't think they're meeting request/demand.  I think they realized they can slap motion sensor controls on anything and pass it off as a new game -- or new enough to make money off of it.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo can do this because there's some demand for it that justifies the attempt.  Being one of those doing the "demanding" for several years now, I know that at least *that* demand exists.  Sales like these don't happen in a vacuum.  There has to be a market for something in order for it to sell.

[QUOTE=Fragnox]Also, as a large fan of Prime, I STILL don't understand why motion controls are necessary.  People constantly complain about how awful the controls are and how Prime 3 improved it and I didn't even think about the controls until other people brought it up.[/QUOTE]

They don't have to be necessary.  They just have to be desirable.  For me they are desirable rather than strictly necessary.  The game wouldn't stop being one of my favorites had it never happened, but I am looking forward to experiencing the game again with some updated motion controls.

[QUOTE=Fragnox]Not to mention, how are they going to do the Primes with the Wiimote + Nunchuck?  In Prime 3 it wasn't a huge problem because the beams stacked, but how are the beams going to work in the Wiimakes?  If they stack them, I will be extremely irked (well, not in Prime 2 -- removing
the limited beam ammo would be awesome).[/QUOTE]

Not questions I can answer.  I'd rather play the game and make my own judgements on the summary improvements or the opposite if that is the case.

[QUOTE=Fragnox]Either way, unless I see a significant improvement in the actual gameplay -- graphics are only a plus, controls make no difference to me -- I will still not see how this is worth it.  If they package them together and I can get them for $20, I'll consider it, or if I can get them separately for $10.[/QUOTE]

I don't really want the game to change at all outside of the motion controls.  It won't be the end of the world for me if it does, but I am looking for the same game with motion controls and *maybe* widescreen, but the latter isn't even a requirement for me personally.  That's what I want and that's what I will enjoy playing.

MigAlley

Postby MigAlley » January 8th, 2009, 6:46 pm

I think Nintendo should put some new IP's out there which is something that is painfully lacking from the Big N's lineup. That being said if the price is right I may pick up one of these games, let's face it, there isn't anything else worth playing on the Wii anyway!

Fragnox

Postby Fragnox » January 8th, 2009, 6:59 pm

[QUOTE=m0zart][QUOTE=Fragnox]Nintendo can do this because there's some demand for it that justifies the attempt.  Being one of those doing the "demanding" for several years now, I know that at least *that* demand exists.  Sales like these don't happen in a vacuum.  There has to be a market for something in order for it to sell.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo will make money off of the people who didn't play the game in the first place, they don't need demand for it.  People who started gaming on the Wii will get Prime 1 and 2 never having played them before.[/QUOTE]

I have never heard this demand before (at most, I've heard people thinking it's an interesting idea), so I don't really think that Nintendo's listening to you.  It was a popular title which can benefit from a control upgrade on the Wii; a moron could figure out that it's a good idea for Nintendo to do this.

[QUOTE]I don't really want the game to change at all outside of the motion controls.  It won't be the end of the world for me if it does, but I am looking for the same game with motion controls and *maybe* widescreen, but the latter isn't even a requirement for me personally.  That's what I want and that's what I will enjoy playing.
[/QUOTE]

So let me get this straight; you want the exact same game you already own (I assume you own it).  You want motion controls for the game, and that's all.  Gameplay change isn't even just a bonus, it would almost be a bad thing for you.  Widescreen is a "meh" for you.  And how much would you be willing to spend?  I would imagine full price, from everything else you've said on the topic.

It's people like you that allow Nintendo to get away with lazy crap like this, instead of actually contributing something and...you know, even giving us news on a new Metroid game.  We haven't had any new Metroid news since the Dread rumor, which Nintendo was very eager to shoot down.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » January 8th, 2009, 7:14 pm

[QUOTE=Fragnox]I have never heard this demand before (at most, I've heard people thinking it's an interesting idea), so I don't really think that Nintendo's listening to you.  It was a popular title which can benefit from a control upgrade on the Wii; a moron could figure out that it's a good idea for Nintendo to do this.[/QUOTE]

I feel like you're mincing words with me here -- I am speaking of a market for these games -- and a market requires that demand be there for the purchase.  "Demand" in that context includes those people who are just interested enough to buy it.

For instance, recently I was just interested enough to buy Fallout 3, despite the fact that it's a game I am not sure I will really be able to get into.  That constitutes "demand" for the game, demand that the developer and publisher were betting on.

[QUOTE=Fragnox]So let me get this straight; you want the exact same game you already own (I assume you own it).  You want motion controls for the game, and that's all.  Gameplay change isn't even just a bonus, it would almost be a bad thing for you.  Widescreen is a "meh" for you.  And how much would you be willing to spend?  I would imagine full price, from everything else you've said on the topic.[/QUOTE]

I'd be willing to pay full price.  Widescreen would be nice, but I don't need an improvement on the original game.  I want to play the game with motion controls and I am willing to pay for it.  If it were possible to just map the Wiimote and attachments to a game like that, I'd be willing to go into that too, but it isn't just a direct mapping.  It requires some work, and it's work I am willing to help fund for the experience.  That's pretty much the long and short of it.

The disdain I read here makes me think you are getting a headache.  The Advil is in the cabinet.

[QUOTE=Fragnox]It's people like you that allow Nintendo to get away with lazy crap like this, instead of actually contributing something and...you know, even giving us news on a new Metroid game.  We haven't had any new Metroid news since the Dread rumor, which Nintendo was very eager to shoot down.[/QUOTE]

Aww, up to now you were doing so well -- sounding like a reasonable poster who just disagrees with someone's opinion on a matter rather than trying to make them sound like the source of your problems and a bane to the industry.  Now you sound more like steer.  Maybe you two clash for a reason.

If I'm a bane to the industry for paying for what I want, then so be it.  I am not in this for altruistic reasons.  I buy and play what I want, whenever I want, and I do it without feeling guilt or the need to apologize.  Your judgement may not be inescapable, but it's easily ignored.

steer

Postby steer » January 8th, 2009, 7:15 pm

That being said if the price is right I may pick up one of these games, let's face it, there isn't anything else worth playing on the Wii anyway! - Mig

It's people like you that allow Nintendo to get away with lazy crap like this, instead of actually contributing something and... - Frag

See Mig, you are part of the problem here - obviously you are an enabler.

Its amazing some ppl have such low opinions of a console, and yet they keep it, and keep buying GAMES for it, when they could have made a VERY pretty penny selling it today...

By your own logic Mig - if you must buy games you consider so low tier - I can only come to the conclusion you cant find anyhting for your PS3, 360, and etc as well - if you had a full tummy there, you would not have to eat at the 'goody two shoes' table!

steer

Postby steer » January 8th, 2009, 7:17 pm

I buy and play what I want, whenever I want, and I do it without feeling guilt or the need to apologize. Mozart

I have something in common with you as well Mozart  - that is my game buying philosphuy, letter perfect.

Thank you for posting that.

Fragnox

Postby Fragnox » January 8th, 2009, 7:55 pm

[QUOTE=m0zart]I feel like you're mincing words with me here -- I am speaking of a market for these games -- and a market requires that demand be there for the purchase.  "Demand" in that context includes those people who are just interested enough to buy it.[/QUOTE]

I know.  I understand the workings of the market, and I know what supply and demand are.  But until these were announced, I  heard only a few people interested in the concept.  Most of the people I know agree with  me that it seems like some cheap marketing scheme rather than people actually wanting it -- not that they won't buy it.

[QUOTE]I'd be willing to pay full price.  Widescreen would be nice, but I don't need an improvement on the original game.  I want to play the game with motion controls and I am willing to pay for it.  If it were possible to just map the Wiimote and attachments to a game like that, I'd be willing to go into that too, but it isn't just a direct mapping.  It requires some work, and it's work I am willing to help fund for the experience.  That's pretty much the long and short of it.

The disdain I read here makes me think you are getting a headache.  The Advil is in the cabinet.[/QUOTE]

No, the problem is that you're asking for motion sensor -- and ONLY motion sensor -- on the game.  I can't understand why someone would want to pay $50 for motion controls on a game they already have.  Isn't that a complete waste of money?  I can sort of understand wanting motion sensor, maybe only wanting motion sensor, but full price for JUST motion sensor...you're not doing yourself any favors there, in my opinion.

[QUOTE]Aww, up to now you were doing so well -- sounding like a reasonable poster who just disagrees with someone's opinion on a matter rather than trying to make them sound like the source of your problems and a bane to the industry.  Now you sound more like steer.  Maybe you two clash for a reason.[/QUOTE]

You misunderstand me.  I'm saying that, by only demanding motion controls on these "Wiimakes", that's causing Nintendo to ONLY put motion controls on games, because they know people will buy it.  Which is largely why I mostly gave up on them, because their quality decreased so.

[QUOTE]If I'm a bane to the industry for paying for what I want, then so be it.  I am not in this for altruistic reasons.  I buy and play what I want, whenever I want, and I do it without feeling guilt or the need to apologize.  Your judgement may not be inescapable, but it's easily ignored.[/QUOTE]

You are definitely allowed to buy what you want, but if you give Nintendo your money for nothing, the rest of us who maybe can't afford to blow $50 on a game we already have are being hurt, and given crap to buy.  My problem is that you're not asking for enough from Nintendo.

I buy what I want too.  I am just also careful about spending my money since there are other, more important things that I have to spend it on and I don't have unlimited money.

I know I came off harsh, and I didn't mean to come off that way.  I just find it shocking that you're asking for so little -- and that is a very small amount that you're asking for.  If you want Nintendo to make quality products you can't be willing to spend $50 on them doing something which requires a relatively small amount of work.
I'm just angry at you for giving in to Nintendo for so little.  They're only going to give you as much as they have to give to make enough money.

[QUOTE=steer]See Mig, you are part of the problem here - obviously you are an enabler.[/QUOTE]

No, once again, you misunderstand.  The problem isn't that you buy it, the problem is that you ask for no more than motion sensor.

But thanks for putting words in my mouth, steer.  Always there for me.

[QUOTE]Its amazing some ppl have such low opinions of a console, and yet they keep it, and keep buying GAMES for it, when they could have made a VERY pretty penny selling it today...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, because the Wii does have certain advantages.  I could likely sell my Wii for full price on eBay, and my games for a good enough amount, but I wouldn't get rid of it all the same.  It's not costing me anything to keep it nor is it costing you anything to keep it so why is it of any concern to you?  I worked to find a Wii and spent money on it, and I don't really want to blow it all.  If Nintendo can come out with a promising title, then I can actually get my money's worth.

Then again, you sell games when you get bored of them and buy them back off of eBay so I don't expect you to understand.

[QUOTE]By your own logic Mig - if you must buy games you consider so low tier - I can only come to the conclusion you cant find anyhting for your PS3, 360, and etc as well - if you had a full tummy there, you would not have to eat at the 'goody two shoes' table![/QUOTE]

Or maybe he can't afford to buy a whole new console?  Or maybe he was making a joke?

This section of your post is so presumptuous and stupid that I'm not even entirely sure what to say.

MigAlley

Postby MigAlley » January 8th, 2009, 8:03 pm

[QUOTE=steer]
That being said if the price is right I may pick up one of these games, let's face it, there isn't anything else worth playing on the Wii anyway! - Mig

It's people like you that allow Nintendo to get away with lazy crap like this, instead of actually contributing something and... - Frag

See Mig, you are part of the problem here - obviously you are an enabler.

Its amazing some ppl have such low opinions of a console, and yet they keep it, and keep buying GAMES for it, when they could have made a VERY pretty penny selling it today...

By your own logic Mig - if you must buy games you consider so low tier - I can only come to the conclusion you cant find anyhting for your PS3, 360, and etc as well - if you had a full tummy there, you would not have to eat at the 'goody two shoes' table!

[/QUOTE]

Well I guess if I am part of the problem then you are the problem! Give me a break! What are people playing on the Wii right now. Let's fire up the last few months of the 360/PS3 game guide....Gears 2, Resistance 2, Fallout 3, Little Big Planet, Mirror's Edge, Valkryie Chronicles...should I go on? Wii Music was released it sucked. Face it, the Wii line up is weak! The only game I have bought for the Wii in the last year was No More Heroes..which I got for $19. I don't need to sell a console to make a pretty penny...I get plenty of those every other Friday and huge sums of them each quarter. I don't want to start the flame war..you know I would NEVER do that but c'mon people...I am not saying the Wii is garbage but I am saying the line-up is terrible. That said I am hoping 2009 brings some decent games to the system.

Return to “Modern Gaming”