What if Sony had released the Wii?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
funky_muzic1

Postby funky_muzic1 » January 15th, 2009, 3:52 pm

Sony could have had success if they released the Wii.  Of course (as previously stated) they would have to have some accessible games to draw in those non-traditional gamers ("casuals"). 
I'm even more interested to find out what type of system Sony will release next...
They can't release another $600 console, but you know they will stick with Blu-Ray (since it's their format)...although it will be cheaper at that point.  Sony's next system will probably be a Wii with better graphics (and a camera/eye toy).  But a year or two later, Nintendo will drop the "Wii Are The World" console (you heard it here first) and it will blow Sony away.
Watch out for Microsoft though.  You can be sure they're going to get into the motion-sensing/VR game, and you know Mr. Gates has the smartest minds that money can buy working on the next X-system! 

steer

Postby steer » January 15th, 2009, 7:28 pm

Sony DID release a motion controller, but the problem is :

Where is the beef? As in , who made motion software ppl wanted to buy?

Well, Nintendo did. SOme ppl here who rip Nintendo for their motion efforts should have an absolute field day with Sony on that subject.

Just sayin',

funky_muzic1

Postby funky_muzic1 » January 16th, 2009, 3:30 pm

Ah Sony and the Six-Axis.  Yes, software was definitely a problem.  Also, the controller obviously wasn't made for motion-sensing type games.  I mean it's hard to hold that controller and swing it like a bat or tennis racket.  It probably only would have worked with driving or flying games. 

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » January 19th, 2009, 4:53 am

I think Sony could have pulled it off with the right advertising.

Fragnox

Postby Fragnox » January 19th, 2009, 9:36 am

[QUOTE=steer]Sony DID release a motion controller, but the problem is :

Where is the beef? As in , who made motion software ppl wanted to buy?

Well, Nintendo did. SOme ppl here who rip Nintendo for their motion efforts should have an absolute field day with Sony on that subject.

Just sayin',
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Sony was an absolute ripoff with the whole motion sensor thing.  The reason Sony's not as popular is because they implemented it in a pretty normal way, Nintendo completely changed things and also advertised the motion sensor more.  Sony had those commercials with the controller, but I still have no clue how the motion sensor is used in actual games.

Also, I'm not going to direct all my hate towards Sony because it's not really an issue to me that Sony did it.  It was really cheap of them to rip off the Wii, but it hasn't personally affected me.  With Nintendo, though, I have been affected.  I bought the Wii, I have found few games out of the 17 I own that I like, and have found motion sensor to be an annoying gimmick in most of the others.  And while expecting them to shell out awesome games as they usually do, most of the franchises on the Wii I enjoyed last generation weren't half as good, in various ways.  Mostly difficulty level.

I'm not just neglecting Sony's use of motion sensor because I have a grudge against Nintendo.  I just don't really care about Sony.  If I ever pick up a PS3 and find it to be a crappy, annoying gimmick, you can be sure I'll be complaining too.  Until then, there's no field day to be had.  Not for me, anyways.

Kim

Postby Kim » January 24th, 2009, 8:32 pm

It simply could not have been with Sony. Either they would have released a half-motion control system that would have only superficially resembled the Wii as it is now, or they would have had too much to lose to simply change everything they had done to a wii-type system. Nintendo had come third in the last generation and thus did not have as much to risk, while Sony had more fans to disappoint and more cards at stake. So the conclusion is: Sony would not have released the Wii.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » January 26th, 2009, 12:36 am

If SONY released it,it would not have been a success,even if it was casual. There is one trend that governs sales but all leading companies fail to realize because losing companies don't last long

Step 1: One company makes the ultimate casual system,it sells more than the "hardcore systems" sells a lot but gamers are ticked off,that does nothing(To effects of 2600,NES,PlayStation,and now Wii)

Step 2: The same company makes another casual system same results but this system is albeit more hardcore(Effects of PlayStation 2 and some could argue SNES)

Step 3: The same company goes hardcore and the console does not garner enough gamers,company gets dethroned by another company which follows steps 1 and 2(To affects of N64,Atari 7800,and PS3)

Step 4:Company goes out of business or tries again(To affects of SEGA,Atari,and Nintendo)

Step 1 and Step 2 last around 10 years and until now Step3 happened by former leading company ticking off another company
(Atari to Nintendo and then Nintendo to Sony)

So even if it was casual because one company usually only holds top for a decade it wouldn't matter

This is a weird pattern I've noticed that always seems to predict the future before it happens though some exceptions apply (Microsoft hasn't followed any of these steps)

Another pattern is the numbers goes up

Atari 2600: 30 million
NES: Twice that
PlayStation:100 million
PS2: 4 times the 2600

Odds are Wii will sell past PS2 and Wii 2 will sell 8 times 2600 than Nintendo will be dethroned once more if still in the business

Creepy aspect isn't it

funky_muzic1

Postby funky_muzic1 » January 27th, 2009, 3:31 pm

Interesting theory N64Dude.  It is a pattern, and I do foresee another company's console overtaking Nintendo's console in another generation or two.  I don't necessarilly agree with the Hardcore and Casual aspects though. 
The N64 "failed" because Nintendo stuck with cartridges instead of going to CDs.  All the 3rd Parties jumped ship so they could make games on the PS One and the Saturn with a higher profit margin and less risk (of having their games buried in the desert next to E.T.). 
I think the PS3 is "failing" because of the price point of their console.  This is typically the most common reason that a console will not succeed.  Look at the 3DO and Neo Geo as a couple examples.  Of course a lack of good games is another big reason that consoles fail...

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » January 27th, 2009, 7:48 pm

The reason PlayStation is not considered casual is becuase it was marketed out as a casual system for not non-gamers that liked anything,but the kind of non-gamers that would watch X rated movies

The cartridge was arrogance Nintendo was too over confident and figured "Og so it's cartridge,it has faster loading times and it's a Nintendo it can't fail".

Truth is N64 didn't fail either,in fact it sold more units than Genesis and Atari 2600

33 million is not a failing number

I left SNES out because that is the sole exception that managed to be hardcore and casual and tie with it's rival

Kim

Postby Kim » January 28th, 2009, 9:11 am

The fact is that the Wii isnt dominating the console wars but virtually ties in with the Xbox 360. In fact the xbox 360 is achieving more sales than the Wii. The reason for this phenomenon is that Sony crumbled and its competitors in the last generation's console wars (the PS2 era) are simply eating up the bits that are left over. The 360 isnt winning completely because people are tired of simply playing games with better and better graphics and now want something new, which the Wii provides. The 360 also lacks the flair and the brilliance which Sony had. The Wii isnt winning because people are still skeptical with its strange concept: not everyones buying innovation for what it is. This makes up for a very unstable situation, but not an uncommon one perhaps. I had thought that the market might even collapse but that just sounds absurd (noone would believe it of course). The markets simply too big now to collapse.

Return to “Modern Gaming”