The Problem with Street Fighter IV

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 22nd, 2009, 1:51 am

I was playing Street Fighter IV tonight, and it occurred to me that after unlocking all of the major characters, it really doesn't have much play value as a single player game.  I mean, the challenges pretty much suck in my opinion, and you can't play for score unless you're on Xbox Live (it doesn't save locally).

Sure it's fun to beat the crap out of your friends, but I think the game really falls short when it comes to playing solo.

Also, is it me or does Rose look like a DUDE?  As Austin Powers would say "She's a MAN baby!!  Yeah!"

MigAlley

Postby MigAlley » March 22nd, 2009, 9:45 am

How is the Street Fighter IV solo experience different from other versions of the game? I mean, you move from one fighter to the next, it's a fighting game! What do you want? A story? I think between all the different fighters and the various difficulties there is plenty to keep one busy.

I have already logged 30+ hours on this game (solo and vs.) and it is an amazing game. See critic, if you were not "shy" about being online you could challenge opponents whenever you want. It's awesome.

I don't think Rose looks like a dude. I do however think Chun-Li looks like a horse, what is up with those thighs???????

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 22nd, 2009, 11:44 am

What do I want?  Well, the arcade mode keeps score, so a local high score rankings would be a start, as seen in most other fighters.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » March 22nd, 2009, 1:29 pm

I never got the whole 'scoring' thing in a one on one fighter.  You either win or you lose.  You lose, you try again.  Either the score resets or just adds to it.  Either way, what's the point? 

Sure, I get it that you're creating some arbitrary way to create longevity out of the game but that's where the second player comes into play. 

Having said that I am curious how does SF IV compares to Soul Caliber IV? 

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 22nd, 2009, 1:56 pm

What's the point of keeping score in Pac-Man?  Or any game for that matter?  Is this such a foreign concept?

I just reviewed a bunch of KOF games, and for me the main challenge was beating my personal best score.  Score doesn't matter if you're playing a friend, but it's nice to have if you're playing solo. 

Street Fighter IV is much better than Soul Calibur 4 in my opinion.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » March 22nd, 2009, 5:14 pm

[QUOTE=ActRaiser]I never got the whole 'scoring' thing in a one on one fighter.  You either win or you lose.  You lose, you try again.  Either the score resets or just adds to it.  Either way, what's the point? 

[/QUOTE]

Scoring is nice, but more relevant with shooters, or brawlers like Streets of Rage. In a one on one fighter, winning or losing is everything. These games deliver their true potential when you get to play against another player, and have awesome replay value in that regard. Besides, you can challenge pretty much anyone anytime nowadays, thanks to the internet.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 24th, 2009, 7:22 pm

I think some of you are missing the point.  The game DOES keep score.  It's just that you can only VIEW your high score if you're on-line.  I saw this before in the last Soul Calibur game, and it sucks.  Of course, it's in the best interest of gaming companies to get you on-line so they can nickel and dime you with downloadable "bonus content".  Pass!

Return to “Modern Gaming”